German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
141 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I know GSD are very vocal. My previous ones would talk up a storm. But my current puppy (10 weeks old now) doesn't seem to want to do it. Maybe too young. Maybe she has nothing to say. I am at a loss about her not wanting to sing. She's plenty vocal with barking when she wants something. Playing you tube videos with GSD howling just seems to confuse her. I can't seem to find a trigger to get her to sing.

·
Registered
942 Posts
Rollo will howl whenever a siren goes by and I can SOMETIMES get him to howl if I start howling first lol

Reactions: Tennessee

·
Super Moderator
7,365 Posts
Gia howled at sirens.
Tilden howled at Gia howling at sirens.
Gia has since crossed over.
Keystone does not howl at sirens.
Therefore,
Tilden no longer howls.

·
Registered
101 Posts
My first GSD mix howled at sirens and the beep from my answering machine.
My second GSD mix didn't howl.
My third GSD mix howled when I played my saxophone.
I stopped playing the saxophone.

(New purebred GSD puppy will come home in just 2 days! It remains to be seen what will get her to howl.)

·
Registered
1,423 Posts
Some just don't... my old dogs howled at sirens but current guy nope, nothing. He won't even if a fire truck is parked right outside our house, heck he won't even bark when someone knocks at the door. We call him silent but deadly. My husband thinks it would be creepier to an intruder to see a huge wolf looking dog staring silently at them anyways lol.

·
Registered
13,884 Posts
sirens --- this was a beautifully eery experience . Walking young male GSD down Bloor between St George and Yonge --
the famous "Mink Mile" ,
a siren in the distance and the dog , who is so alien a creature in this cnncrete urban area , stops , tilts his head and
howls - bouncing off the walls of the buildings like an echo chamber .

coyotes --

and -- as experienced by many on the forum - put the puppy in the crate and it will howl lol

·
Super Moderator
16,941 Posts
Some dogs just don't. Gryffon's litter-mate, Karlo, is a champion howler. Gryffon never howled, despite me living in the boonies and hearing other dogs and coyote packs howling all the time.

Nope, nada from him other than a glance in the general direction of the howling, then complete dis-interest.

·
Registered
141 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I'll be a bit disappointed if Gypsy doesn't sing. Sugar was an excellent talker and singer.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts