German Shepherds Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2,267 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi experienced Nosework trainers! How do you end a search that is obviously going to be unsuccessful for many reasons, hide set up too hard, unexpected distractions, dog is disengaging, takes way too long etc. In tracking, I would have an extra article and would throw it on the track without my dog seeing it so every search was always successful. It really helped to develop a very strong work ethic. How should I approach this in Nosework? The instructor in the class just said to throw a cookie and praise the dog since he tried, and that's it because the dog will forget anyway.

I started learning Nosework by taking an online classes, I love it but of course I'm making all the mistakes possible... Thank you for your advice!

·
Super Moderator
6,106 Posts
I would use a drop hide and pay the dog, just like in the real world. I wouldn't pay the dog for nothing.

Running a bomb dog, you have a lot of blank searches. I pay the dog intermittently to keep them in the game.

·
Registered
2,267 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
David, thank you, it makes sense! I was also not liking the idea to just give a cookie for nothing... I haven't got to the blank searches yet but just started doing exterior and sometimes the search just doesn't go as well as planned.
What is a 'drop hide'? How to do it with a oil scent? Should I have a scented tin in a box on me and then take it and put it on the ground?

·
Super Moderator
6,106 Posts
David, thank you, it makes sense! I was also not liking the idea to just give a cookie for nothing... I haven't got to the blank searches yet but just started doing exterior and sometimes the search just doesn't go as well as planned.
What is a 'drop hide'? How to do it with a oil scent? Should I have a scented tin in a box on me and then take it and put it on the ground?
You can use whatever works for you. A tin would be fine, as would a qtip or cotton ball. An Rx bottle works to carry a couple.

A drop hide is a working dog term I guess. You never pay a dog for a street find. You don't know what's in it and you don't know that they are right until after the fact. I use a chunk of C4 for bomb dogs and a Scentlogix aid for drug dogs.

Also, for dismounted military dogs doing miles of route clearance, you need a way to be sure the dog is still searching.

Toss the hide while the dog is looking somewhere else and then work them into odor.

Reactions: sitstay and GSD07

·
Registered
2,267 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 · (Edited)
Thank you so much! Now I know exactly how I’ll handle it. The Rx bottle for carrying scents is a great idea and will work very well for me.
I cannot even imagine how much effort it takes from dogs and handlers to search miles and miles and be actively searching.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts