German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello eveyone,

This is only a puppy question because my GSD is 3.5 months old but applies for all ages.

I have a backyard that is all paver (stone tiles) with a small run of trees on one end. The trees are on an elevated stone step so it is too high for my puppy to get up there. He poops on the paver and that isnt a problem, but i pick it up with a scooper and have been placing it under the trees near the grass. BAD IDEA.

First the smell carries in the wind and bring bugs, also he sometimes can work his way up and enjoys eating it (another problem i am addressing with the vet).

How do you guys dispose of puppy waste and any suggestions for my situation?

Best,
Pete and Leo

·
Registered
307 Posts
We've been shovelling ours up from the yard and bagging it in the trash. We've saved the empty dog food bags for this too; they work real well as primary containment and it's a nice "fin de sicle" IMO.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Hello eveyone,

This is only a puppy question because my GSD is 3.5 months old but applies for all ages.

I have a backyard that is all paver (stone tiles) with a small run of trees on one end. The trees are on an elevated stone step so it is too high for my puppy to get up there. He poops on the paver and that isnt a problem, but i pick it up with a scooper and have been placing it under the trees near the grass. BAD IDEA.

First the smell carries in the wind and bring bugs, also he sometimes can work his way up and enjoys eating it (another problem i am addressing with the vet).

How do you guys dispose of puppy waste and any suggestions for my situation?

Best,
Pete and Leo
And it doesnt smell too bad?

Thanks!

·
Premium Member
410 Posts
If he eats it, then it sounds like the problem is taking care of itself??

J/K I know how obnoxious that can be, nothing like them coming in to give you a kiss and smelling..... :|

Have you considered one of these, might be exactly what you're looking for? It's basically a septic tank that you fill with a harmless bacteria & water and it breaks down their waste. https://www.chewy.com/doggie-dooley-septic-style-dog-waste/dp/134179?utm_source=google-product&utm_medium=cpc&utm_campaign=hg&utm_content=Doggie%20Dooley&utm_term=&gclid=Cj0KCQjw5-TXBRCHARIsANLixNwHFtMMV6heyGiV9MPzdMJi1Fr_NWjzi0SG1RLgNduzr19h4uQ8WG8aAm_AEALw_wcB&gclsrc=aw.ds

Reactions: brownclown

·
Registered
5,814 Posts
I use newspaper bags to pick it up - every day. Hand in. Pick up. Pull up to turn bag inside out and tie. Bags go into a bucket with a lid, until trash day. Empty the bucket into a trash bag and out it goes. You can use an empty joint compound bucket. We have salt water fish, so I am currently using an empty salt bucket.

BTW, I like newspaper bags better than the store bought poo bags. They are bigger and easier to maneuver. I don't get a newspaper. I ask people to save them for me.

·
Registered
856 Posts
You can flush it down the toilet also

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

I've been using pooper scoopers for 12 years...it's like a claw. I pick up the poop, take it home, and flush it down the toilet. Luckily the powder room is right by the front door so I can take it in the house and right into the toilet....so it doesn't smell up the house. Between the bathroom exhaust fan and the front door, most of the smell is gone real fast. I let the pooper scooper sit in the toilet and an hour later most of the remnants of poop comes off. Once in a while I pour some bleach into the pooper scooper and the toilet to clean everything. Pooper scoopers are great. I don't have to bend down and get my nose close to the smell and my hands don't have to feel the poop through the bag. You can also accidently touch the poop while picking it up with bags. When they get older and the poop gets bigger and there's more of it, you've got to be more careful flushing it down the toilet as the amount/size of poop can get the toilet clogged up. All you have to do then is to flush a half of it at a time. Also as the dog got older and was able to walk further, I could walk him through an area where there are many dog waste trash cans that are provided by our homeowner's association. We pay these high homeowner's association fees that cover a lot including the provision of dog waste specific trash cans (along with dog waste specific bags). So I might as well use them since I'm paying for them. Yes, I live in the burbs.

·
Registered
447 Posts
We bag up Sheba's poop right after she does her business, and it goes out with the trash on pickup day. I am amazed by the number of people who complain that their dogs are eating poop. If it gets picked up right after they go, there's just no possible way that their dog can eat it, simple as that. I am equally shocked at those who will just let the poop pile up for weeks... or longer...! No one will ever find a single poop in our yard. Ever. (needless to say, our Sheba does not eat poop!)
:poop:

Glen
Focus On Newfoundland

·
Registered
5,931 Posts
We bag up Sheba's poop right after she does her business, and it goes out with the trash on pickup day. I am amazed by the number of people who complain that their dogs are eating poop. If it gets picked up right after they go, there's just no possible way that their dog can eat it, simple as that. I am equally shocked at those who will just let the poop pile up for weeks... or longer...! No one will ever find a single poop in our yard. Ever. (needless to say, our Sheba does not eat poop!)

Glen
Focus On Newfoundland

Shadow has a toileting spot. She will not go anywhere else. It is the far corner of the yard. I clean up every 3 days or so. I have found over the years that if I invade her spot too often she will relocate to the corner near the shed temporarily. My girl likes her privacy! And I prefer her in the back corner.
In answer to the OP, we have collected compost bins and I utilize those if I have bio bags, otherwise it gets bagged and tossed in the trash.

·
Registered
5,702 Posts
I had one of those "doggie dooley" brand septic system in a house I once owned. It was vile. The smell opening up the lid to make a deposit was unbearable. I would never, ever recommend one.

We have a 5-gallon bucket with a lid. You can find such a bucket at Home Depot (usually in the paint department). We line it with a heavy-duty trash bag, put the poop in it, and put it out on trash day. Periodically, you can sprinkle some borax in it, under the trash bag. It absorbs smells. (The 20 Mule Team brand of borax is available at WM in the laundry aisle.)

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #14

Glen
Focus On Newfoundland
Well you need to consider dogs that have access to the yard while the owners are at work, or having acres of land where the dog can run around. The owner can't always be right behind the dog with bag in hand ready to go. I have found my solution, but he used be quick enough to go behind a tree, squat, stop pooping just to sniff it/eat it before me or whoever is in the yard notices, and then run somewhere else to finish pooping. SMART ANIMALS LOL!

But yes piling up of the poop is a definite NO.

Best wishes!

·
Registered
447 Posts
... he used be quick enough to go behind a tree, squat, stop pooping just to sniff it/eat it before me or whoever is in the yard notices, and then run somewhere else to finish pooping. SMART ANIMALS LOL!
Well, perhaps not so smart if they are eating :poop:
Glen
Focus On Newfoundland

·
Super Moderator
5,678 Posts
I have a dog door, so I’m not always standing right next to my dogs when they poop. I scoop the yard in the morning, when I get home from work, after they eat, and before bedtime. Even then, my dogs will sneak a poop snack in at times. Disgusting but not much I can do about it.

·
Registered
62 Posts
Does anyone compost it?

It's probably not warm enough where I live to compost it in any reasonable time frame,but I was looking up doing it with tiger worms,will they remove all the parasites?

Mine are on straw in their kennels too,as well as other garden waste I have a fair bit to get rid of.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I use a 10 gal Behrens galvanized steel trash can with lid that is lined with a trash bag. A few times a week I walk around the yard with a cheap metal scooper and dump the waste in the can. On trash day I take the bag out and leave it by the curb for trash pickup. The trash can keeps the smell completely contained and the moisture out. The lid fits too tightly for the dog to open it too.

·
Registered
2,315 Posts
When I had the kennel, we had so much poop that it couldn't be disguised as trash. If the garbage crew realized a bag was full of poop, they would just leave it at the curb. I had to put it in the back of my SUV and take it to the dump, and pay for disposal. Fortunately, the dump was just around the corner. I put a kiddy swimming pool in the back of my vehicle, and placed the bags in that to avoid any leakage problems.

I had a 2 acre property, so after awhile, I tried composting the poop. I would cover it over with wood chips or earth, and that seemed to work well. I chose a very sunny spot, so the heat dried it out quickly, and there was very little odour or flies. However, apparently dog poop is too acid to make good compost for the garden. It would have to be mixed with something else to reduce the pH.

·
Registered
62 Posts
When I had the kennel, we had so much poop that it couldn't be disguised as trash. If the garbage crew realized a bag was full of poop, they would just leave it at the curb. I had to put it in the back of my SUV and take it to the dump, and pay for disposal. Fortunately, the dump was just around the corner. I put a kiddy swimming pool in the back of my vehicle, and placed the bags in that to avoid any leakage problems.

I had a 2 acre property, so after awhile, I tried composting the poop. I would cover it over with wood chips or earth, and that seemed to work well. I chose a very sunny spot, so the heat dried it out quickly, and there was very little odour or flies. However, apparently dog poop is too acid to make good compost for the garden. It would have to be mixed with something else to reduce the pH.
Yeah I've read that it can't be more than 1/3 crap,and it's best to add grass clippings,which I have loads of in summer.
I'll have to see if straw works,because in winter I have plenty of that.
I'm not worried if it isn't the best quality,just that isn't full of parasites.

Apparently if it dries out you're meant to wet it slightly,and ideally turn it.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts