German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1,867 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Koch has been having some ear problems lately, she had scratches the inside of the one of her ears and had a small scab. So I whipped out some hydrogen peroxide and towels and did some cleaning. Now, her ears were sore just because she had scratched them so I was trying to be gentle.

While doing it, she wrinkled up her nose and showed some teeth, no growing and no biting at all. Just some posturing. This is the second time she has done this, the last was a month ago when I trimmed her nails and she wasn't up for it.

It is totally out of character for her, which is why I am a bit baffled by it. I corrected her with a strong "NO" and she didn't seem to do it again.

·
Registered
4,828 Posts
I allow my dogs to have an opinion, but do not allow them to act on them and would have let my dog know in no uncertain terms that showing teeth or growling at me in an attempt to stop me from doing whatever I'm doing is totally unacceptable.

What you did was fine as long as it got the message across. If she does this again, I would suggest a much firmer correction.

·
Premium Member
27,460 Posts
I'd just be calm, quiet and firm, during these times. Just give an 'uh uh' until they quiet and then 'good girl' to praise.

I know I usually have a cup full of tiny treats when doing my dogs nails so when they ARE good and quiet they get alot of treats. Kind of distracts them from the ordeal when I keep reaching for the cup....

·
Registered
1,867 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Yeah we typically stuff her full of treats when doing "Doggy Maintenance" - but she was just in an ornery mood last night. I feel that had something to do with it, she was just having none of it!

1 - 4 of 4 Posts