German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My husband and I have 2 dogs - Adele (1 year old) and Jolt (14 weeks). My in laws are selling their house and moving into ours for the time being until find another place in the summer (around June-August). They also have 2 German Shepherds, Max (9 years old) and Sammy (4 years old), who are coming with them.

Max and Sammy are backyard dogs with minimal interaction. Sammy is extremely under socialized. Adele and Jolt are inside dogs with occasional days when I will have them outside to romp around.

How in the world am I going to deal with feeding times? I feed my dogs Acana with supplements and their dogs have BilJac.

My house is technically Adele and Jolts territory but having Max and Sammy would definitely confuse them since Max is definitely dominate.

Sorry that my post is all over the place I just don't know what to say or begin with since I have so many questions..

·
Registered
489 Posts
I got nice 4x8 covered runs from Costco payed $500 for two of them. Real good investment, put in raised beds and xtra tarps on the sides as windbreak. Dogs are happy. So am I.

·
Registered
9,727 Posts
First I honestly admire you. Before disasters happen, and even before the dogs have met have a (good!!) trainer come out who knows GSDs so you can make a smart start. Once a confrontation has happened due to intro mistakes, it is very hard to regain peace. Good luck to you, it will be an interesting Spring and Summer for you.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Might need to put some kennel runs in. What's your SO say?
He doesn't care. It's his parents and they're paying rent.. I would hate to have a conflict between the dogs but also don't want my dogs to suffer (such as leaving them outside all night and day) because of the in laws dogs..

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
First I honestly admire you. Before disasters happen, and even before the dogs have met have a (good!!) trainer come out who knows GSDs so you can make a smart start. Once a confrontation has happened due to intro mistakes, it is very hard to regain peace. Good luck to you, it will be an interesting Spring and Summer for you.
Thank you! I have no kids so my dogs are my only babies. Adele has met Max and Sammy on several occasions.. but Jolt (our puppy) is another story. Max was already showing dominance (which makes sense, we were in his house) but I don't know if the tables will turn since they'll be at my house. Sammy on the other hand showed major fear aggression and stress to Jolt due to not being socialized at all.

It will be interesting I'm sure..

·
Registered
980 Posts
As this is for a relatively short-term period, I would simply keep the two sets of dogs apart. Put up a temporary run, or split the backyard in half via some other means. Keep the dogs kennelled in different rooms. Too much potential for a fight.

·
Premium Member
4,586 Posts
As this is for a relatively short-term period, I would simply keep the two sets of dogs apart. Put up a temporary run, or split the backyard in half via some other means. Keep the dogs kennelled in different rooms. Too much potential for a fight.
Yes, this ^^^

Go to the Leerburg website and read all the articles you can on different situations:
Leerburg | Introducing a New Dog into a Home with Other Dogs

Other articles: http://leerburg.com/training-articles.htm

Good Luck!
Moms:)

·
Registered
31,827 Posts
Really, now? The old dominant male is 9 years, the other dog, Sammy, male or female? 4 years. They should get together fine. Are their dogs fixed? If they are, I would just meet your parents down the street and walk with all four dogs back home.

Your PUPPIES are not old enough for SSA, or dominant crap. The only possibly forseeable issues is if both Sammy and Adele are both females, and both want to be the Queen of Sheba -- unlikely, but possible. Otherwise, there should be enough space between all the dogs that there won't be any issues.

If there are, head over to Tractor Supply and get a couple of Professional kennels. Set them up side by side or just together with dog houses in them and the folks' dogs, who are used to being outside can be outside.

These have 6, 6'h x 5' wide panels, so if you buy 2 of them, you can have one pen, 15'x15' or 2 pens, [email protected] 10x15 and the other 5x15', you can make it (them) larger if you use the wall to the house or garage as one of the sides. Cost for two is approx. $600.

Now, before you just go out and do that, it would be a whole lot better if you could have the dogs inside, and maybe by the time the folks move out, they will have been converted to people who want their GSDs inside. That would be nice, but your critters come first. If there are issues with the dogs, then some of them will have to stay in the garage or yard. Their dogs are accustomed to this.

ETA, I would probably pay for the kennels myself, but I would insist that your folks provide the dog houses.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Really, now? The old dominant male is 9 years, the other dog, Sammy, male or female? 4 years. They should get together fine. Are their dogs fixed? If they are, I would just meet your parents down the street and walk with all four dogs back home.

Your PUPPIES are not old enough for SSA, or dominant crap. The only possibly forseeable issues is if both Sammy and Adele are both females, and both want to be the Queen of Sheba -- unlikely, but possible. Otherwise, there should be enough space between all the dogs that there won't be any issues.

If there are, head over to Tractor Supply and get a couple of Professional kennels. Set them up side by side or just together with dog houses in them and the folks' dogs, who are used to being outside can be outside.

These have 6, 6'h x 5' wide panels, so if you buy 2 of them, you can have one pen, 15'x15' or 2 pens, [email protected] 10x15 and the other 5x15', you can make it (them) larger if you use the wall to the house or garage as one of the sides. Cost for two is approx. $600.

Now, before you just go out and do that, it would be a whole lot better if you could have the dogs inside, and maybe by the time the folks move out, they will have been converted to people who want their GSDs inside. That would be nice, but your critters come first. If there are issues with the dogs, then some of them will have to stay in the garage or yard. Their dogs are accustomed to this.

ETA, I would probably pay for the kennels myself, but I would insist that your folks provide the dog houses.
Sammy is a female. Yes, all dogs are fixed. I heard a lot about feeding times and feeding the "alpha" dog first and then go down the line.. would it confuse all the dogs if I were to feed my dogs first? They both have different feeding schedules. I do plan on having the all dogs inside at some point in the day during their stay when we're all home.. I just can't imagine all the shedding from 4 dogs! ?

Thanks for the advice it helped!

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Seems like a kennel/dog run is a popular idea.. I think I'll go with that! Max and Sammy are the main dogs I'm worried about. They just haven't seen the world and their backyard is all they know, I feel bad for them.. wish I could show them around like I do with my dogs. I trust Adele completely off leash when we're out on our front yard and she has amazing recall (which I'm so proud of). Max tends to run off and Sammy is just fearful of everything she might just follow Max.

·
Registered
31,827 Posts
When they start blowing coat, take them in one by one and have them groomed. Do it again in 2-3 weeks, that should manage most of the hair. Beyond that, 2-3 minutes a day/dog with a pin brush and checking toenails once a week should do the trick.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
When they start blowing coat, take them in one by one and have them groomed. Do it again in 2-3 weeks, that should manage most of the hair. Beyond that, 2-3 minutes a day/dog with a pin brush and checking toenails once a week should do the trick.
Adele and Max are good with brushing.. I haven't introduced Jolt yet and no one has tried brushing Sammy before.. so I guess I have to introduce it to her also. Adele is extremely good with me clipping her nails (also still have to introduce it to Jolt.) I seriously doubt Max and Sammy will let anyone touch their paws.. last time I saw them, it was extremely long!

·
Registered
4,220 Posts
I have recently met two different families with dogs who are at each other's throats. One was an in law who moved in, the house dog was a 1 yr old. They were not managed properly, it turned into a disaster.

I just don't think you could be too careful or keep the too separate.

Forget feeding in order of who is alpha, just ONLY feed when dogs are securely contained. Food and puppies lacking social boundaries are two big reasons for nasty fights. No food, no chews, ect unless new dogs are kenneled.

Your youngsters may not know any better than go jump all over the new dogs and they may not be tolerant of that...

It isn't impossible to keep dogs totally separate, I do it with dog aggressive boarders in my home

·
Super Moderator
32,019 Posts
I just don't think you could be too careful or keep them too separate.

Forget feeding in order of who is alpha, just ONLY feed when dogs are securely contained. Food and puppies lacking social boundaries are two big reasons for nasty fights. No food, no chews, ect unless new dogs are kenneled.
^This. It's a temporary situation, I don't know it if will be worth it to spend much time training them to get along when you can simply manage them until it's over.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
I have recently met two different families with dogs who are at each other's throats. One was an in law who moved in, the house dog was a 1 yr old. They were not managed properly, it turned into a disaster.

I just don't think you could be too careful or keep the too separate.

Your youngsters may not know any better than go jump all over the new dogs and they may not be tolerant of that...

It isn't impossible to keep dogs totally separate, I do it with dog aggressive boarders in my home
Thank you. You are totally right about food and puppies. I guess I better clean up my yard!!

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Its a great opportunity to master your training abilities....
I think it will definitely be a challenge, yes! What I would love to teach Max and Sammy is their recalls.. and to come when called. They tend to get yelled which definitely discourages the dogs to come!

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
I just don't think you could be too careful or keep them too separate.

^This. It's a temporary situation, I don't know it if will be worth it to spend much time training them to get along when you can simply manage them until it's over.
That makes sense.. especially since it's temporary. I hope they find a house fast, I can't imagine the amount of poop there will be in the backyard.

·
Registered
31,827 Posts
That makes sense.. especially since it's temporary. I hope they find a house fast, I can't imagine the amount of poop there will be in the backyard.
Line a metal garbage can with a bag, and pick up poop daily. It isn't that difficult, really.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts