German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey all! I'm having a bit of trouble with giving commands from anywhere but directly in front of my 5 month, male GSD. he is a great listener, eager to learn and very attentive. But he likes to be right in front of me otherwise he will not listen to his command. Is there anyway to resolve this? I've tried sit-stay, then proceeded to the next command but he instantly runs toward me. Any help would be appreciated :)

·
Super Moderator
6,307 Posts
Just keep working on his stay on leash.Be patient and put him back in position when he gets up.Walk around him in a circle while he holds his position.As soon as he's successful release and praise,praise,praise!Work on duration in seconds not minutes.You can increase the distance a little at a time.Don't increase the distance or duration more than he can handle.Stop as soon as he's successful and throw a party!
It's hard for a young dog to be still for long so make it fun and for really short periods.Sounds like he's really focused on you which is excellent:)

·
Super Moderator
16,941 Posts
Work on it in little baby-steps. This is common behaviour for puppies as usually most or all of their early training has been with the person standing facing their dog. Use food as a lure to move him about, when you want him to sit, hold the food up right over his head so he has to lift his head to follow your hand, and as his head goes up and back, his hind-quarters go down, give the Sit command and reward him.

Start with small position changes from the front position, gradually move him around more until he is comfortable doing sits in different positions in relation to you, including at your side.

For the sit stay - again move in baby steps. He sits, you take ONE step away from him, you move back you reward (reward while he is still sitting, if you release him from the sit first, he will anticipate the release-reward, and will take it upon himself to break the sit thinking that is what he needs to do to get his treat). Than you increase duration slowly - take one step away, wait a couple of seconds, move back in to him, reward, work up the duration slowly), then you increase distance once he has duration down, etc -

ALWAYS change just one variable at a time - Duration, OR Distance -
Practice in different places, under different circumstances - if he knows how to hold a sit-stay in the kitchen, that does not necessarily mean he knows how to hold is sit-stay out in the yard, unless you practice the exercise in different locations so he learns that even though the environment may change, the exercise does not.

·
Registered
6,637 Posts
Not sure what commands you are teaching or having trouble with.. But a lot of people use a box, a platform or even a mat to teach stationary commands.. Sit, down, stand, etc... Once the dog is "solid" on each command, then they throw in variations, sit, down, release, down, stand, sit, release, and so forth..

I found this video..

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dCajqD93G0w

1 - 5 of 5 Posts