German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok so I am so confused on how to officially name my pup?
What are your dogs names and how and why did you name them that?
What does Vom and Von mean and do I need to use my last name in the name? And should it be in german?:rolleyes: I dont know German:laugh:

·
Registered
54 Posts
My boy's name is Oberon. (Yes i know its spelled wrong on my avatar) He came to me as a rescue with the name wolfie. He didn't respond to the name so we knew we had to change it. Everyone in the house came up with a favorite or two. Then we started calling them out to him and looked for a reaction. He perked up to Oberon and ears went back when I called him Obie. So in short he picked his name. But it was my favorite so maybe he was just making me happy.

And yes I had to go with something german. Haven't spoke a lick since high school but something about a GSD brings it out. Try a google search for German shepherd names and start there. Oberon was supposed to mean noble wolf in Germanic. Maybe it does and maybe it doesn't. The name is more well known as the king of the fairies in a midsummer night's dream so make of it what you will. In the end they don't really care so long as you call them by it regularly.

Sent from Petguide.com Free App

·
Registered
1 Posts
We tend to name our dogs after characters in books, movies, TV shows for some reason. My dog as a kid (a beagle) was named Snoopy of course. My Mom's dog who is a mix we named Frasier. We are getting our GSD soon and we chose the name "Spartacus" Not German, but should still be fitting. We also liked the name Sawyer (which we first noticed we both liked after watching "Lost") and Harrison (the name of Dexter's son in the show "dexter") There is a list of names we came up with that are appropriate for a german shepherd and names we came up with that would be better for say, a beagle or a little dog. I think it just depends on how you will perceive your dog. GSD.. strong, noble, etc.

·
Registered
1,661 Posts
I didn't go the German route. Finn's full "AKC" name is Finnian the Irish Lad. We wanted to do something different from your standard German names, so we started looking at other sorts of names. We landed on Finnian and it just sort of stuck. The 'Irish Lad' portion was a nod to our pup Cheyenne, who's full 'AKC' name was Cheyenne the Western Lady.

I am a firm believer in calling your pup whatever you like. I know we are discussing having a call name vs. registration name for our next Shepherd; we've already settled on Keela as a call name, but we're going to do something German as a registration name.

·
Registered
27,249 Posts
My boy's name is Oberon. (Yes i know its spelled wrong on my avatar) He came to me as a rescue with the name wolfie. He didn't respond to the name so we knew we had to change it. Everyone in the house came up with a favorite or two. Then we started calling them out to him and looked for a reaction. He perked up to Oberon and ears went back when I called him Obie. So in short he picked his name. But it was my favorite so maybe he was just making me happy.

And yes I had to go with something german. Haven't spoke a lick since high school but something about a GSD brings it out. Try a google search for German shepherd names and start there. Oberon was supposed to mean noble wolf in Germanic. Maybe it does and maybe it doesn't. The name is more well known as the king of the fairies in a midsummer night's dream so make of it what you will. In the end they don't really care so long as you call them by it regularly.

Sent from Petguide.com Free App
I love your dogs name! And "his" day Monday was celebrated around my area bigtime!

Oberon Day 2013: The Iconic Wheat Ale From Bell's Brewery Returns To Delight Michigan Beer Fans

My males breeder named all the pups and registered them. We can use any call names we want so I went back into the pedigree of my pup and looked for a name that would mean something. I chose Karlo as a call name. It is strong and not very common.

·
Registered
2,239 Posts
Many breeders require their kennel name to be part of the registered name .. hence the "von" or "vom" and a name <usually the following name is their kennel name>. They also require you to pick a name (or may pick one) that corresponds to the litter letter they are on ... my breeder's on "x" .. sigh. You can call the dog whatever you like and some breeders don't care what you name your puppy, but many do that have established lines.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I didn't go the German route. Finn's full "AKC" name is Finnian the Irish Lad. We wanted to do something different from your standard German names, so we started looking at other sorts of names. We landed on Finnian and it just sort of stuck. The 'Irish Lad' portion was a nod to our pup Cheyenne, who's full 'AKC' name was Cheyenne the Western Lady.

I am a firm believer in calling your pup whatever you like. I know we are discussing having a call name vs. registration name for our next Shepherd; we've already settled on Keela as a call name, but we're going to do something German as a registration name.
I really like this idea!! So her call name will be different than her AKC registration name, so really I can pick whatever the heck I want!!
Or I could AKC name her Minaj...dah dah dah dah dah.....but not Von my last name since I didn't produce her right?

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Von/vom means from. My dog is Bali Von Meadow. She is from Shepherds Meadow.
I thought you were not allowed to use the kennel names of others in your dogs name? Confused???

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
We tend to name our dogs after characters in books, movies, TV shows for some reason. My dog as a kid (a beagle) was named Snoopy of course. My Mom's dog who is a mix we named Frasier. We are getting our GSD soon and we chose the name "Spartacus" Not German, but should still be fitting. We also liked the name Sawyer (which we first noticed we both liked after watching "Lost") and Harrison (the name of Dexter's son in the show "dexter") There is a list of names we came up with that are appropriate for a german shepherd and names we came up with that would be better for say, a beagle or a little dog. I think it just depends on how you will perceive your dog. GSD.. strong, noble, etc.
Big Lost FAN!!
I am into greek mythology names but didnt want to do that since its not German but would be cute if I ended up with more than one dog!!

·
Registered
482 Posts
Sound Carry

My late GSD could be trusted to behave and respond to commands off-leash. His name was Max. I could get his attention easily by barking his name.

Over time, I realized he didn't hear the "m" or the "x". He responded even better to a loud pronunciation of merely the vowel than to his entire name.

Hmmm.

Well, Max passed on over Rover River and while we were searching for his replacement we had lots of discussions with others about names. But by then I'd decided to put to use what we had learned with Max.

I insisted that the name be one syllable. I also wanted it to have what I call a "strong" vowel (one easily bellowed with a single sharp exhale and which would carry for some distance". The vowel "u" is such a vowel and one of our neighbors suggested Zeus.

When I call Zeus from the end of a long line I only "bark" the vowel.

Trouble is that Zeus, unlike Max, is a runner. We've had fits trying to get him to recall. So, all our name planning has gone for naught. We keep him on a leash 100% of the time.

But for those of you who have disciplined dogs (we've not given up on Zeus but it's going to be a while I think) maybe this will help you.

LF

·
Registered
148 Posts
I thought you were not allowed to use the kennel names of others in your dogs name? Confused???

We require all of our puppy buyers per out contract, to use our Kennel name (Cunningham) in their dogs AKC registered name.

I have a Major Amadeus Von Cunningham (males in his lineage going back several generations have middle name of Amadeus and Major was the name of my hubby's GSD when he was a boy.

My Girl "Zwillingen's River of Tin Tin Tin, is named for her Grandfather, who was from the Zwillingen kennel in Germany and was a champion and for Rin Tin Tin who she is descended from 11th generations back. We call her River.

Lady Isabeau Von Cunningham is named for the character in a movie called Ladyhawk that I just love.

"Von Cunningham's Sparrow in the Wind" was just like my little bird when she was a baby and it stuck.

I am trying to name my new girl now, maybe Rin Tin Tin's Rivendale Von Cunningham or Rin Tin Tin's Winterfel Von Cunningham. I like nature names. Her call name is "Millie" and she knows that name but on her papers, I'm not sure yet. She is kind of a firecracker, so maybe Rin Tin Tin's Lightening Von Cunningham.....I am open to suggestions. :)

·
Registered
283 Posts
Picking names can be fun. I tend to watch my pups to see if they name themselves. I had an Old English Sheep dog named Sassy. When we brought her home, she was a terror on pant legs and would sit back and bark at you - hence being Sassy - Her mother was Fanny, so her registered name was Fanny's Sassy Lass.

My first golden was a big lover as a pup - an elderly neighbor was German and kept saying the word Schotzie to her when we first got her- which stuck - it means I think lover in German or something like that

My last golden was also a lover of mud. if there was a puddle of water he was in it as a pup, including the first day home (rolled in the wet garden, then he came running to me for love). Wife called him Muddy Buddy once and that was it. If he was not covered in mud he was not happy.

Emma was a bit different. I wanted a simple call name. Kids, wife and I were exchanging name ideas and her ears perked up when my daughter said Emma. I though it was a fluke, so I said a few other names and sure enough when I said Emma her ears perked up and she looked at me....whiile chewing on one of my socks....there is something about my socks she loves, and loves hiding them even more :crazy::D

So Emma stuck

Have fun choosing

·
Registered
70 Posts
We wanted a fairly traditional german name for our girl. Our other two GSDs were named by the kennel that registered them so this was the first dog we were able to "make our own".

We picked Heidi.

·
Registered
1,661 Posts
I really like this idea!! So her call name will be different than her AKC registration name, so really I can pick whatever the heck I want!!
Or I could AKC name her Minaj...dah dah dah dah dah.....but not Von my last name since I didn't produce her right?
Pretty much. We're thinking of Anelie vom Sparen for Keela. Sparen is just a shortened Sparwasser as a nod to the mother and grandfather of the first Shepherd. I like Keela just because I can shorten it to Kee or Kay. I like short, one syllabul names or names that can be shortened.

If you want to use your last name, you can. A friend did that for her AKC Setters. Each one was Martin's blah blah blah. I've never been much of a fan of the crazy show dog names like Chantar's China Lake V Whitmer or My Little Black Purse, so we stick to things that sound like actual dog names, lol.

·
Registered
230 Posts
You should name him Ricky Bobby.

Seriously though, for those who mentioned Lost in this thread, I was thinking of naming my next pup Charlie :D

·
Registered
332 Posts
My girls name is woog or woogie!

woog sounds similar to woof so I can have fun saying "ah woogie woogie woogie"
Just came to me naturally.

My dad likes to call her woogster!

1 - 17 of 17 Posts