German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi everyone :)

I made a post a few days ago about looking over a pedigree... Now we've taken the next step, and since Monday have had a six month old pup from that litter! The breeder wanted to keep her for breeding, but her adult teeth have come through a little misaligned to give a slight overbite, so that wasn't an option (from what I gather, breeding regulations are quite tight here in Germany). We're not complaining, as she seems to have a good ancestry (although if anyone wants to take a quick look over the pedigree and help us read it, that'd be brilliant) and is beautifully black-and-tan marked! Blondie's now home and enjoying lots of fun in the garden! Will post some pictures soon...

However: this is our first dog, and we're a little out of our depth in a few areas. Hope you all can help! Starting off with the two most 'urgent' things...

Chewing!

She's six months old, but still has floppy ears. The breeder said this wasn't too much to worry about, and that they'd come up with time (even after reading the forum, I'm fairly happy to trust this, as the breeder couple is very active and successful on the show and SchH circuits here). Nevertheless, we tried to put Breathe Rite strips on her ears today. She wasn't best pleased; my partner ended up straddling her while I did my best to get them on, but it's not a perfect job. We'll try again tomorrow. Question, though, is: is it possible for a dog not to know how to chew? We bought her bones yesterday to help build the muscles, but she didn't seem so sure what to do with them. I've been coaxing her today and she's finally enthusiastic, but I just wondered if that was something any of you had heard of before?

Hates the Cat!

We have a six month old Bengal as well, and he's wonderfully confident around Blondie. We can't say the same about her, though. She barks no end whenever she sees him. We're working on improving it - putting her back in her room every time she does it, keeping her on a leash whenever we try to bring them together, giving her lots of treats etc., and we're making small steps. She now doesn't bark unless the cat comes close to her, but then really goes crazy! Is this the right direction? I have a crate coming in the next few days which might help (they're not so easy to get here, and it's taken an age to arrive)? Just wanted some encouragement/advice, really. :)

Sorry this has ended up being so long! Looking forward to becoming part of the community! :)

Ashley

·
Registered
990 Posts
Hiya

It's possible that she's not accustomed to chewing anything "chewy" like a bone or a bully stick.
Many breeders only feed dry and canned dog food, no bones etc. so the dogs don't have to chew much.
A friend of mine adopted an ex racing greyhound - we bought him a big marrow bone because his teeth were not very clean and we thought he might like it.
He just looked at us with a disgusted "guys there's something dead in my food bowl" look on his face and ignored the bone.
It was only after he saw my dogs actually eating the bones that he decided it might be worth trying that. He now loves bones :)

Re the cat, I don't have much advise besides make sure she has NO chance to ever chase the cat and that the cat has a safe escape place that the dog can't into.
Perhaps try to distract her with doing some exercises like sits etc and food rewards while the cat is around so she gets more "reward" for paying attention to you and not the cat :)

·
Registered
3,334 Posts
As far as the cat goes...since she's young you have a chance but it could take a LONG time. Just do a search and read some old threads you will find tons of dog/cat posts. I recently went thru a problem with my new kitten and my 8 yr old female, it took almost 6 months. But we have success. Get into basic obedience and get a good solid "Leave It". Also if the cat likes to stay up high (counter) that helps a lot. One of the best exercises I did with Kiya & the kitten was to put Kiya in a down stay, with her favorite treats while the kitten was walking about freely. Since my kitten was the "newbie" he had to be kept in the crate.
Good luck.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts