German Shepherds Forum banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
10,225 Posts
Your dog won't outgrow the prong! Just add more links.

http://www.jefferspet.com/ssc/product.asp?CID=0&mscssid=WTKDL43B43A29KS95J15W78GSQVEABC7&pf_id=406
That's what I bought for my 50-ish pound shep mix. It's PERFECT. In fact, I think they recommend buying by link size and staying small, just adding links when necessary than by buying for the length. There is more corrective power with the small links because more links = more "teeth" to use for correcting. If you expect Tosca to be well within standard for a female, you may be fine with this size. If you expect a top of standard or larger (especially topping male size), then you may have to start small and go up later, but I think you should be fine. Just buy the link size you want and purchase extra links. I bought a small bag of links with the collar just in case but I ended up taking out links. Also, that quick-clip is SO HANDY!! WELL worth the price; the HS prongs are very high quality. It is not the stainless steel one, but it is still very nice.

I think Leerburg's site on prongs has advice on sizing. I know someone on here also did a thing about sizing.... maybe MaggieRoseLee?? Whoever it was, the user put two prongs on the dog's neck, a small one and a large one. The difference was clear and I think the user preferred the smaller link size. I believe the demo was on a working line female.

·
Registered
10,225 Posts
Quote:Sprengers are rust-free stainless steel.
Not all. You can plunk down $30-$40 (or nearly $60 on some sites) for one that is, but they have the cheaper plated ones. Still excellent quality, though. I have the chrome plated HS quick-release.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.