German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
2,982 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am considering purchasing a prong collar but not sure which size to get. Tosca's neck measures 15". The Herm Springer comes in 14" and 18". I am thinking to go with the 18" and just remove some links but not sure if that is the right thing to do. BTW she'll soon be 6 months old.

One more thing, is it worth getting the Herm Springer at this point or just get something similar at PetSmart because she'll outgrow whatever I get? I was not impressed with the collars PetSmart carried but I can get it immediately and save on shipping.

·
Registered
10,225 Posts
Your dog won't outgrow the prong! Just add more links.

http://www.jefferspet.com/ssc/product.asp?CID=0&mscssid=WTKDL43B43A29KS95J15W78GSQVEABC7&pf_id=406
That's what I bought for my 50-ish pound shep mix. It's PERFECT. In fact, I think they recommend buying by link size and staying small, just adding links when necessary than by buying for the length. There is more corrective power with the small links because more links = more "teeth" to use for correcting. If you expect Tosca to be well within standard for a female, you may be fine with this size. If you expect a top of standard or larger (especially topping male size), then you may have to start small and go up later, but I think you should be fine. Just buy the link size you want and purchase extra links. I bought a small bag of links with the collar just in case but I ended up taking out links. Also, that quick-clip is SO HANDY!! WELL worth the price; the HS prongs are very high quality. It is not the stainless steel one, but it is still very nice.

I think Leerburg's site on prongs has advice on sizing. I know someone on here also did a thing about sizing.... maybe MaggieRoseLee?? Whoever it was, the user put two prongs on the dog's neck, a small one and a large one. The difference was clear and I think the user preferred the smaller link size. I believe the demo was on a working line female.

·
Registered
15,138 Posts
Have you been going to training classes, what does your trainer suggest?

It is highly beneficial to have someone show you how to properly use a prong collar. Getting the right fit and placement is just a small part of using a prong.

·
Registered
142 Posts
There are significant differences between the cheap knock-offs sold at PetSmart/PetCo and the Herm Sprengers.

The cheap collars have the ends of the prongs cut of square. The sharp edges can cut into the dog's neck. The Sprengers round and polish the prongs.

The cheap ones are usually chrome-plated steel. Sprengers are rust-free stainless steel.

How to properly fit the collar
http://leerburg.com/fit-prong.htm

·
Registered
10,225 Posts
Quote:Sprengers are rust-free stainless steel.
Not all. You can plunk down $30-$40 (or nearly $60 on some sites) for one that is, but they have the cheaper plated ones. Still excellent quality, though. I have the chrome plated HS quick-release.

·
Registered
2,982 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
The training instructor said Tosca will be a large dog when mature by looking at her feet. Actually everybody says that. lol. She is now at 46 pounds I believe. Anyway, she recommended the prong collar because of her size and strength.

I have the Jeffers Pet Catalog and since I don't know anything about the sizing of prong collars I came here. I may call one of the kennel club members and do some comparisons so I know which one to get as well as correct fitting.

·
Registered
904 Posts
I would buy one from a Shutzhund trainer as they carry the really good quality ones and know how to size them. You might want to pay for a lesson to so you can learn how to use it properly. I had a petshop prong collar on my old dog and one of the prongs bent. Big difference in the quality of the collar I now own purchased from a trainer.

·
Registered
5,708 Posts
I have been using the 3.0 mm prong from Petsmart & they are rounded & also chrome plated & says...........do not rust.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts