German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 20 of 81 Posts

·
Registered
671 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
You guys, I live in LA, CA and this is my 1st summer with my boy (got him September last year). Temperatures now is the lowest at 20C / 68F and can rise up to 45C / 113F! This has become a problem for me on living our daily life together. A lot of times after we go to the park etc., before I go home I do a short grocery shopping (not more than 20 mins) at Ralph's or Von's. It takes 5-10 mins to get home from there. Normally when it's 25C / 77F and below and the sun is not OUT out, I leave him in the car with water and windows almost wide open.

The thing is, shops like Ralph's / CVS / Target don't allow non-service animals. My dog is a (REAL) ESA, but apparently that's not enough. Some places such as Wholefoods or Gelson's have 'dog parking' in the front of the shop. Although I don't feel completely comfortable leaving him alone there for fear of dog theft or people teasing him, I do it anyways because those shops give us a SOLUTION to not leave our dogs in care because of lack of service-dog certification.

It makes no sense to drive 15 minutes to go home, out of the car to the apartment for another 10 minutes, drive back to Ralph's for 15 minutes, just to buy a gallon of milk, bread and spices for barely 15 minutes! That's almost an hour out of the window!

Other places like Starbucks don't allow non-service animals either, but they rarely have security guards standing at the entrance to tell you off so when I go to Starbucks I have my dog with me.

Once or twice I saw dogs 'parked' attached on a bench in front of Vons, but I thought, that is waaaay to risky. Anyone could grab those dogs and go.

I just thought to myself, with deep respect to service dogs: this is one of the reasons people dress their dogs in a service dog vest. Perhaps they just want their dog by their side at all times. Plus if the dog is well-behaved, why couldn't they be there shopping with their owner?

Does anyone else have similar problem???? Any thoughts on finding a solution??? Thank you!

I'm not asking for a 'Personally I won't leave a dog for 1 minute in a car even if the temperature was a cool 10C' Yeah good for you I bet you have 5 other family members that can help you with your daily errands and your supermarket is 2 mins away from your house and it takes you 10 seconds instead of 5-10 mins to park your car and get inside the house. I live by myself and if I don't buy food, I don't eat.

·
Registered
118 Posts
Why not just have an extra set of keys made for your car? Lock it up, with the air on, while you're in the store? It's not legal where I am to leave a car running without a human in it, so I would be bringing my dog home, then heading back out.

·
Premium Member
177 Posts
Fortunately for me, many of the places that I run errands to regularly don't seem to mind me having my dog with me. When it comes to grocery shopping however, I just plan my trips when I don't have him with me. At a year old, I have been letting him stay out of the crate for an hour or more to see how he does. Grocery shopping is the perfect amount of time for this at the moment. So far so good!

Sorry not much help. I do understand the desire to want them with us all the time. For me if I had to choose between tying him in front of a store, leaving him in a car, or leaving him home, he would be home. I agree with you that tying them out is WAY too risky!

·
Registered
457 Posts
Heat stroke is a very real problem and can quickly kill your dog. You seem to be aware of this danger, and that's good. I knew several dogs that died this way and it was horrible for all concerned. Some owners never got over the guilt.

I wouldn't have any problem taking an extra half hour or hour to protect the life of my dog. Sure, it's inconvenient, but it can truly mean the life or death of your dog.

Just my 2 cents worth.

·
Registered
1,809 Posts
If the stores you go to open very early, you can plan your grocery errands on the way to the park to avoid the high heat of mid day and just bring a cooler of ice. Also make a list and know exactly which isles the items are in, plan your foot pattern to avoid time spent looking for them.

Recently I found a store that carries beef heart and kidney. It was on the way home from a new trail that I took my boy to. I couldn't pass up not getting those items. I got to the store, parked and called the store to make sure they had the items and where the items were in the store. Gave myself 3 mins to grab and go.

If your errand is going to take 20 mins, and dogs aren't allowed, but the area is safe, do the early morn before going to your park. This way, you risk the groceries instead of your dog.

·
Registered
1,758 Posts
Take him home where its cool. Then you can shop in leisure and you won't have to worry about these things. Sure its inconvenient but thats life.

People do steal German Shepherds. They are also very desirable to dog fighters to use as bait dogs (removed by moderator). Also, dogs have died in cars with the air conditioning running when the engine went off. This happened to a police dog recently. Not worth it.

·
Registered
5,514 Posts
Many grocery stores, and I think Walmart, have a set up where you shop from home online, tell them when you will be there, park in the designated area, and they will bring it out to your car. I have not used this yet, but a friend has and loves it.

·
Registered
1,809 Posts
Many grocery stores, and I think Walmart, have a set up where you shop from home online, tell them when you will be there, park in the designated area, and they will bring it out to your car. I have not used this yet, but a friend has and loves it.
Oh boy, I have to look into this. I have a Walmart near me but won't bring my boy no matter what and it is enroute to a lot of places we go to play. Thanks for posting that.

·
Super Moderator
5,385 Posts

I have a very busy friend with 4 kids. She said the Walmart pickup has changed her life, lol.

·
Registered
1,902 Posts
My dogs are crated in the back of my truck under a cap. Windows open, and I monitor the temp. If it's really hot, I run a kooler aire. Kept the cab at 84° when the air temp was 98°.
Now if I didn't have these options, I'd pick a better time to go shopping. Might be a pita, but my dog is a little more important than just what's convenient.

·
Super Moderator
5,385 Posts
There are many times that I need to stop at the store on the way home from work, but I have a dog with me. It's very inconvenient to drive home to drop off the dog, and then get back out. I get it. I live alone too. But it's hot here in Oklahoma in the summer, and I wouldn't leave a dog in the car while I go inside a store.

The Target near my work and the one closest to my house both have groceries, and they also have pickup service. You should see what stores near you provide this service.

·
Registered
671 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Why not just have an extra set of keys made for your car? Lock it up, with the air on, while you're in the store? It's not legal where I am to leave a car running without a human in it, so I would be bringing my dog home, then heading back out.
Just so it happens I literally just ordered a new key for my car and I only need to bring my car and have the dealer program it. Can one do that though? Say, I leave the 1st key in the car with the engine and AC on, leave the car, lock it with the 2nd one, do my groceries then unlock it with the 2nd key? I've never tried that before so I don't know if one can do that with 2 keys. If it can, this is definitely a good solution...

·
Registered
3,645 Posts
Just so it happens I literally just ordered a new key for my car and I only need to bring my car and have the dealer program it. Can one do that though? Say, I leave the 1st key in the car with the engine and AC on, leave the car, lock it with the 2nd one, do my groceries then unlock it with the 2nd key? I've never tried that before so I don't know if one can do that with 2 keys. If it can, this is definitely a good solution...
This may seem like a good solution. But unless you have the means to monitor the temp inside your car, and it's not illegal in your area, and you're comfortable enough with the fact that a running car with nobody in it is a prime target for auto thieves, it would be a whole lot safer to just modify your shopping habits so that your dog is home safe while you shop!

·
Registered
457 Posts
Our car won't lock if the key is left inside and it will alert if we do so. Locking it and leaving it running is not an option with this car. I'm sure that's not the case with them all.

Still I would be hesitant to leave a dog alone in a car, especially if the dog is not crated.

·
Registered
30,372 Posts
I
I take the time out of my life to leave my dog at home and pick things up on the way home from work and go grocery shopping as a planned trip.

If I have to stop, all window are down and his fan is going, and it better be under 10 minutes in and out. If it's super hot, I don't stop.

·
Registered
1,769 Posts
I got a varigate in the back of my SUV that locks so that the gate or hatch window can be left open, another grate to keep them out of the passenger compartment, and an 18V fan that works great. I leave all windows and tailgate open if it is super hot. I have a Honda Pilot and it is silver in color. No issues keeping it acceptable on a recent heatwave, real feel was like 105.

HOWEVER it is not what I would call secure. I use this set up when we go to IPO training, or camping etc.

Even with signage, people peer in and want to interact. So parking in town is out, I just take the extra time to work around stuff like that so they can be safe at home.

With a lot of Japanese cars like mine, you can't lock the keys in a running car (due to strict idling laws in Japan, which some towns here have too). With my BF's Ram truck, you can.

The answer is no, there is no way to keep them cool AND secure at the same time. Nothing that can put your mind at ease for both temperature and safety from people who might mess with them.

If your car will run with doors locked, get a temp alarm. Many a K9 has died because the compressor for the air con went at the worst time possible. I have 2 different ones, both cellular. This one hands down is the best:
https://www.theanimalarm.com/en/

·
Registered
120 Posts
I have essentially the same circumstances. I live alone, and it can be challenging to get things like that done, especially with the additional time it takes to drop the dog off and head back out. But.... that I do. I love having a dog, but one word that would never escape my lips in that regard is "convenient". Not sure there is any solution to be had, or at least I never found one in the twelve years I had my boy. Rinse and repeat for my new girl it seems. :)

1 - 20 of 81 Posts