German Shepherds Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2,682 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
As luck would have it this is sort of related to Anne's post! Purely coincidental.

I am working on possibly hosting my own seminar. I'm at the point where I need to approach various towns and ask for permission to have the seminar in their park. Here's where lack of experience as a schutzhund ambassador is killing me. On one hand I feel like I should not omit the fact that protection work will be done because if they happen to drive by right as a dog is launching itself for a long bite that could be bad news, but on the other hand I have more than a feeling if I mention the "p" word they will instantly say no and shut me out. Do you have any tips you could offer to help me approach this issue with the towns? I was thinking of just telling them it's going to be a dog training seminar and dogs will be off leash, and I need special permission for off leash dogs. If they ask for specifics on the training then I could go a little further. If the "p" word does come out, does mentioning insurance tend to help? Showing them trial videos? Demonstrating with your own dog? Oh to have my own schutzhund field in my backyard!!!

I am requesting dates that will have the parks empty due to cold weather so I think that's a bonus point in my favor. And I do frequent these parks for my own A and B training including send aways and have never had a problem, but I have never done C at these parks.

Thanks!

·
Registered
27,329 Posts
I would give them a description of the trial exercises and have them look it over. Let them know everyone participating will sign waivers to void liability to the venues property. If they question it show them the regional or national trial vids on stadium grounds & let them know the community will have $$ coming in due to visitors purchasing gas, food, lodging, etc.

·
2,967 Posts
Be prepared to offer insurance information. Most seminars/trials that I have seen have been on private property or fenced public property. Remember that when you have an event at a public venue...the public can come. You cannot control who shows up at the park on the day of your event. Also, if the parks fall under an ordinance that does not allow for off leash dogs there may be some difficulty.

The people I know who have put on seminars have hosted them at places that have traditionally held dog events for AKC/UKC etc. The property is rented for the event and admission can be controlled.

Other places that I've seen clubs use have included school fields after hours or people who have contact with local K9 units have been able to through their connections gain access to public sports fields where the police train.

Good luck!

·
Registered
2,682 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I would be paying a rental fee, so yes the area would be "mine". But of course I can't stop people from watching from the park road. I have attended seminars in public parks so I know there's a way to win them over.

·
Premium Member
16,941 Posts
For winter training we have rented time in indoor facilities owned by an agility club and one year we had weekly use of a horse arena. The people who dealt with the rental where always upfront and open with what we wanted to do, and never had an issue with the "P" word. The agility facility owner is positive only trainer and does not allow prongs on any of the dogs in her club. When our Schutzhund club members approached her, they were clear that we will be using prong collars, and we will be doing protection work, and she was fine with that.

Same with the horse arena, the owners had no issues with what we were doing there - as long as the dogs were under control and not running around loose, which of course was not a problem for us at all.

·
Registered
27,329 Posts
Where we train it is in an open field by a very busy road with trains stopping traffic regularly so cars sit and probably watch us. I wonder what some think when they see the whip or stick hits... luckily it is on the grounds of the local police/fire station. Otherwise I think we'd be getting PETA picketing.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts