German Shepherds Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I volunteer at a rescue shelter associated with my college and was asked to take in a rescue. Normaly i would have no problem with this, except I now own a 11mo old puppy,Schatzi. She is fantastic, but my problem is will bringing in another older dog cause unwanted tension in my house? I have had schatzi since she was 8 weeks old, so we have a great bond. But if i bring in this other dog i want to give it the love and attention it deserves expecially since it is a older dog and will probably spend the remainder of its days with me. So i guess i just need some advise on how to do this properly without creating WW3 in my house...also my pup it one big ball of engery so will bringing in a pup that is calm and just relaxes all day be a problem??:help:

·
Registered
9,602 Posts
Since the rescue is an older dog, I don't see why it would be much of a problem since your pup is close to a year now. The new one might be a little overwhelmed by the puppy's activity and energy level. Have they met? Naturally things will be different so if you don't want to rock the boat then maybe just foster the rescue and find it a permanent home.

·
Registered
3,334 Posts
It's usually the other way around for me. I'll bring a pup home to an older dog. Keep a eye on them and you will see how they first react. My older females have always been good with pups. I have watched older dogs come back to life being very playful, and they let the pup know when they have had enough. Right now my 8 yr old male still doesn't love my 8 month old female pup.
I know when to step in, I have seen the older dogs give the pup a correction, mostly a lot of noise. That took a while to get used to, but I have witnessed how dramatic my pup can be over nothing. Watching my dogs play together is more entertaining then watching tv.
Do you know if its a male or a female? We used to have the Noah's Ark rule, 1 male 1 female. This is the second time hubby let me break the rule and I have 3 dogs again. 2 females 1 male.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
the pup is a male GSD and Schatzi is a female GSD so hopefully that will help a little. will that make the male the leader of the house i guess, or do you thinkmy female will keep her claim?

·
Registered
14,344 Posts
the pup is a male GSD and Schatzi is a female GSD so hopefully that will help a little. will that make the male the leader of the house i guess, or do you thinkmy female will keep her claim?
It depends on the personality of both dogs.

I have a GSD, I got him when he was 11 weeks old, he is now 1.5 years old. He is very silly, goofy, easy going, friendly to all, immature and playful. He doesn't take anything seriously.

I adopted a 1.5 year old GSD/Husky mix a little over 5 weeks ago. As soon as he came into my house I knew he was going to be the boss. He is more serious, not very playful, protective, very watchful, cautious and mature. My GSD is comfortable with him being the boss, he follows him around the house and he does not challenge him. I was always say Rogue (the mix) is the brains and Sinister (the GSD) is the muscle or the bodyguard. They are the best of friends.

·
5,627 Posts
Make sure you make the introductions on neutral ground and do not just walk the new dog into the house.

When I bring in a new foster, my resident dog is always top dog and fosters are not allowed to push her around even if they have the more dominant personality. It's her home. This doesn't mean that I make a false pack structure but that I don't allow either dog to be pushy. Raven gets corrected for being too pushy with fosters as well.

Since the new dog is older, it is up to you to make sure she is not being pestered by your puppy and gets a break when needed. It should never get to the point where the old dog needs to correct the puppy.

Males are not necessarily the leaders... some females can be quite pushy and demanding.

Also, when bringing a new dog into the home you should take away anything that could cause tension or a fight... this includes all toys or bones. They should be fed as far apart as you can for a while. I usually also keep the foster drag a leash for a few days and a tab for a few days more so that I can get to them quickly if they are doing something wrong. Fosters are not allowed on my furniture.

The dogs gain privileges (toys and being loose in the house) slowly over time and when they prove they can handle it. Toys are given supervised only for months until they prove they won't fight over toys and bones.

I mentioned everything from a fostering perspective because that's what I do but I would follow the same approach if I were adopting a new dog.

·
Registered
14,344 Posts
Make sure you make the introductions on neutral ground and do not just walk the new dog into the house.

When I bring in a new foster, my resident dog is always top dog and fosters are not allowed to push her around even if they have the more dominant personality. It's her home. This doesn't mean that I make a false pack structure but that I don't allow either dog to be pushy. Raven gets corrected for being too pushy with fosters as well.

Males are not necessarily the leaders... some females can be quite pushy and demanding.

Also, when bringing a new dog into the home you should take away anything that could cause tension or a fight... this includes all toys or bones. They should be fed as far apart as you can for a while. I usually also keep the foster drag a leash for a few days and a tab for a few days more so that I can get to them quickly if they are doing something wrong. Fosters are not allowed on my furniture.

The dogs gain privileges (toys and being loose in the house) slowly over time and when they prove they can handle it. Toys are given supervised only for months until they prove they won't fight over toys and bones.

I mentioned everything from a fostering perspective because that's what I do but I would follow the same approach if I were adopting a new dog.
:thumbup:

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.