German Shepherds Forum banner

How tall is your German Shepherd?

9K views 38 replies 22 participants last post by  Chuuyas_Wine_Glass 
#1 ·
Please post height at withers (shoulders), and male or female. I need to measure mine again.

#4 ·
Sheba stands a ridiculously-tall 29-1/4" at the withers, has an enormous 35" chest circumference and measures 21" around the neck. And she is STILL growing! Sheba has had 12 Panosteitis flare-ups to date. (is currently almost 22 months) Here she is at just 10 and 14 months:

Glen
www.FocusOnNewfoundland.com

• Wow
Reactions: Katiebob
#7 ·
Shelby is right at 22" she was 47lbs when she got weighed before being spayed. Probably about 50lbs at a healthy weight. Lots of people ask how old she is and can't believe she's 4. Honestly would love any future GSDs to be closer to her size. Nice having a dog you can pick up if needed.

#8 ·
... Honestly would love any future GSDs to be closer to her size. Nice having a dog you can pick up if needed.
Yes, this! As our Sheba is still growing at almost 22 months, she is now too large for either of us to be able to pick her up. We won't even know her exact weight until the next vet trip, as we can no longer weigh her on the bathroom scales.

Glen
www.FocusOnNewfoundland.com

#10 ·
Good question...
Interestingly both of my males were early neuters and neither turned out tall and leggy. Both have rather “feminine” heads tho and Tilden is a bit narrow in the chest.

past & present, adult heights

Gia - F - 27”
Coda - F - 26”
Tilden - M - 24”
Keystone - M - 22.5”
Gia spayed at approx 10 months,
Coda spayed at approx a year,
Tilden neutered at 10 months,
Keystone neutered at just under 8 months.

#11 ·
My female was a ped spay, 21” but her legs are long for her size. She is tiny. My male is intact, and my very tall male I lost 3 years ago was neutered by a rescue before I got him at around age 6. He was large and solid. For some reason, I never measured any dogs before that.

#12 ·
Zage (F) is roughly 22" and always hovers around 50lbs.

I was told she was spayed around 8 months, but she's not overly leggy. Definitely a more petite female (I often get asked how old my "puppy" is), but I like her size. I call her my "travel size" GSD when met with incredulity at her non-largeness.

#20 ·
Generally asl can be taller lighter bone but size varies. I have seen some really tall working lines. My working line - ddr - a little bit shorter with shorter neck or just different neck set with a very large head and bulkier.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

#30 ·
Areli, working line, 5yrs old certified SAR dog for trailing, HRD (land and water) and evidence (includes GSR) , 26.75" and 97lbs last vet weight.. Lean, athletic, and pulls like a freight train Trailing.

Hokhmah, working line, 9mos old SAR in training for trailing, HRD land and water and evidence (includes GSR) is 24.75" and last weighed (2wks ago) was 68lbs. She is fine boned and seems Itty-bitty compared to Areli, but lightning fast and drives through the roof.

Akivah is GSD /malamute mix, 5yrs old, SAR trailing, HRD land and water certified, 26.75" and 92lbs.

#33 ·
Bud was WL, about 27" and a lean 95lbs. Intact and built like a tank
Lex was WL 26" and around 70lbs. Spayed at 11 months and leggy
Sabs was presumed ASL pet stock, 28" and 82lbs lean. Spayed at 3 years old and heavy boned, solid girl.
Shadow is presumed ASL pet stock, 23" and around 50lbs normally. Intact and has a pretty solid build for a little girl.

Sabs and Shadow both came from less then ethical breeders and a majority of the BYB's in the area used ASL dogs. Shadows breeder had a very pretty registered WGWL on the property that was returned to her breeder after the dogs were seized so all things are possible.

#35 ·
I can’t imagine the females wgsl getting any smaller from what I have seen. I sure hope they don’t shrink them that would be a “big” mistake.

My working line was 90lbs and two years old with a gradual climb. Anything Over 95lbs he was getting heavy. I think his head weighed the most.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.