German Shepherds Forum banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

· Registered
4,726 Posts
As far as I am concerned, they need to do what you say. Not make something up on their own. First it is doing a "down" when told to "sit". Next it is NOT coming when told to come. Where do you draw the line? These are dogs, not children. They need to know that YOU are the "boss" and they are expected to do what you say, NOT what THEY choose to do.

· Registered
4,726 Posts
Originally Posted By: Luca_stlGlad to be of help. I'm sorta the same way with some commands with Luca. Some words have more latitude than others.

For us, "Wait" means "hold still--I don't care if you sit, stand, or even move a little, just don't move forward." It's a command I use, for example, when we are on a walk and stop at intersections. I don't demand a sit, just that he wait. But IF I say "sit," I would expect a sit. Otherwise, if I were to say "sit" in this situation (and secretly not really care if he sits, just that he wait) and give Luca the option to possibly ignore the command, then it's not fair to expect him to sit in another situation when I really do mean it. He's smart, but he can't read my mind! LOL!

Just decide within your family what command words mean so that you and everyone else are using the same term consistently.

Great post.

My dogs know "wait" too. And just like with yours, I couldn't care less if they sit, down, stand, or do back flips, as long as they stop forward movement.
Mine also know that "come" means COME RIGHT NOW! But if we are out and I just want them to come in the same direction I am traveling, I say "come on". (Though it comes out sounding more like "Mon")

1 - 2 of 2 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.