German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just got my order of timberwolf and was wondering the best way to store dry dog food. I usually just squeeze all the air out and fold it closed. But for the price of this stuff I cannot afford to let it go bad or something.

·
Registered
1,104 Posts
I have one of those tupperware type bins from PetsMart, I have to put the food in something b/c Ava knows how to unroll the bag and then proceeds to be a kibble thief! The only problem with the one I have is that it's too small. I bought it when Cooper was about 6 weeks old so it's definitely time for bigger one. I think they have some pretty cool ones on orvis.com and jbpet.com too.

·
Registered
14,509 Posts
Dog food companies often suggest you store food in their bags due to the block of light.
After the food recalls (nothing I fed was impacted) I realized that I might not know if I had a bad bag of food so I got a new dooomahicky and now drop the entire bag of food inside of it.

·
Registered
7,924 Posts
Originally Posted By: Barb E.dooomahicky and now drop the entire bag of food inside of it.
I'm looking for a new doomahicky so can you share what yours is?!!

·
Registered
14,509 Posts
Originally Posted By: JenM66
Originally Posted By: Barb E.dooomahicky and now drop the entire bag of food inside of it.
I'm looking for a new doomahicky so can you share what yours is?!!
I don't remember the name of it but it's big enough to hold a 40 pound bag of food and looks a bit like a garbage can - but the lid snaps tight. I know a load of help I am

I had to find something that snapped tight so I didn't have to roll down the top of the bag every time I fed.

I think part of the concern with the food companies is light exposure to the kibble. I wonder if the container is not clear if they would still suggest storing their food in the bag. I do though think it's always a good idea now to make sure we have the current food bag on hand in case the lot/etc number is needed.

·
Registered
16,649 Posts
I was disgusted with the price of the storage doohickeys so I bought a wide trashcan and I stick the entire bag of food in there.

I do NOT empty the food out of the bag because plastic is toxic and the food keeps better in the bags.

·
Registered
1,104 Posts
I never knew that it wasn't good to store the food in a plastic storage bin. I don't keep it in the bag, I just pour the bag into the bin.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts