German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
942 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guysRollo is around 5 months and is doing great and having a lot of fun; the both of us. Rollo can get distracted by other dogs /exciting people like most puppies while out. Completely normal I know lol, so anyway I while back I got these 2 identical KONG squeeker tennis balls (slightly larger than the average tennis ball) to play the two game, which Rollo absolutely loves. Well, while playing this game , I have found that I can get Rollo to have the most insanely intense focus on me and keep it if I squeek the ball...even in the most distracting settings. It seriously is like a romote control...Rollo will be running full speed not paying any attention to me, and if I squeek the ball, he will stop dead in his tracks and come sprinting to me. Rollo will walk all the way around the block right at my siide, not breaking eye contact with the ball for a second. It it almost creepy the amount of focus he has when he hears the squeek lol. I want help/advice how you all think I should use this. What I have mainly been doing is going to a place that would normally cause Rollo to lose focus/be distracted, but now play the 2 toy game with the squeeker balls nearby. Taking him new places but focusing on me. And it works everywhere and everytime. I know its obviously not my training but his obsession with this ball(s)...so is that a good way to use this? Should I be doing something different? Appreciate the input! As always..pictures of Rollo

Attachments

·
Registered
1,423 Posts
Beautiful photo! I know exactly what kong squeaker balls you're talking about, Gandalf LOVES them too lol! They're a little unwieldy to carry around as training rewards but if it works for you I think its perfectly fine to use them that way. If he listens to a command what better way to reward him than with something he loves? The novelty of them doesn't really wear off, I let Gandalf have them around the house and he always has one with him. I've just been told don't let them get dirt or sand on them because it will wear down their teeth.

·
Registered
7,497 Posts
I think Max asks the same question in your thread! I think he thinks he has a gift everytime there is food on the counter or if we eat he will pour on his laser focus. Lol! That’s how I taught Max to focus was with treats then when his love for balls grew his attention and focus became more intense. Using food to focus -look at me food then practice it using a ball as a reward is where he comes to super life. Luna prefers tug she not into the ball. There are some great“look at me” focusing threads on here.

·
Super Moderator
6,359 Posts
That's fantastic!Think about improving the duration of his focus in small increments.Keeping the ball hidden and using it as a reward instead of a bribe.One of my "secret weapons" is a little squeaker that I rescued from a ripped up toy.I carry it with me and use it on occasion to recapture my dog's attention.

·
Registered
942 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
That's fantastic!Think about improving the duration of his focus in small increments.Keeping the ball hidden and using it as a reward instead of a bribe.One of my "secret weapons" is a little squeaker that I rescued from a ripped up toy.I carry it with me and use it on occasion to recapture my dog's attention.
Great Idea Thanks! I had been guilty of using it as a bribe but I felt bad so I stopped

·
Registered
942 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I think Max asks the same question in your thread! I think he thinks he has a gift everytime there is food on the counter or if we eat he will pour on his laser focus. Lol! That’s how I taught Max to focus was with treats then when his love for balls grew his attention and focus became more intense. Using food to focus -look at me food then practice it using a ball as a reward is where he comes to super life. Luna prefers tug she not into the ball. There are some great“look at me” focusing threads on here.
I love this & I think will work good for Rollo - thanks!

·
Registered
942 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Beautiful photo! I know exactly what kong squeaker balls you're talking about, Gandalf LOVES them too lol! They're a little unwieldy to carry around as training rewards but if it works for you I think its perfectly fine to use them that way. If he listens to a command what better way to reward him than with something he loves? The novelty of them doesn't really wear off, I let Gandalf have them around the house and he always has one with him. I've just been told don't let them get dirt or sand on them because it will wear down their teeth.
Thats a good heads up! I have probably 6-8 of them cause they are so darn cheap but yea they are just big enough were they are awkward to carry around!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts