German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
6,859 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My parents and I were thinking of taking Tanner to get him a haircut. We used to groom him ourselves(my shelter provides self service or non-self service.) But we decided to get him a trim or hair cut. Since its summer and its heating up, a nice trim or haircut would be nice.

Tanner's coat is longer than Molly's. His coat isn't that long and it isn't as short as Molly's.If that makes sense.lol.

I was just wondering how much should we trim or cut off?We don't want him to be shaved.lol.

Here are some photos:

Molly's coat:

Tanner's coat again:

We were thinking just a little shorter. What do you think?

·
2,967 Posts

·
Super Moderator
27,461 Posts
If you shave him down he'll be even hotter. The longer outer coat helps insulate and if you cut it even he'll be in worse shape.

Frankly, if you can get a few pounds off him (just a few :) ) and brush out the under coat (not cut off the longer OUTER coat) he'll be in much better shape.

·
Registered
6,859 Posts
Discussion Starter #4 (Edited)
If you shave him down he'll be even hotter. The longer outer coat helps insulate and if you cut it even he'll be in worse shape.

Frankly, if you can get a few pounds off him (just a few :) ) and brush out the under coat (not cut off the longer OUTER coat) he'll be in much better shape.
I really don't want to get into another crazy chat about this, but he is not overweight. I haven't uploaded any recent pictures, these are from a while ago. I can feel his tuck and ribs, he just has a LOT of fur. I use the Furminator on him, we were also going to get him groomed though, we are going to do the same for Molly.

·
Super Moderator
27,461 Posts
I could only judge the photos you put up, and those showed he could lose some weight. It's great if he's slimmed down from that.

Grooming is just fine! Getting all that undercoat out. But getting any kind of 'haircut' isn't something GSD's need.

·
Registered
6,859 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
What about his back legs?That hair is so tough!

·
Super Moderator
27,461 Posts

·
2,967 Posts
Absolutely agree. I have always found a shedding rake to be the best. But you wouldn't believe what a professional bath with a forced air dryer can do!

·
Registered
2,951 Posts
I bathe my GSD without the shampoo weekly just brushing her while she's in the shower- I get enough hair off weekly to fur an entire other dog,lol I also hose her before we go on our evening run so she's wet and cool since it's so hot here:)

·
Registered
6,859 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
You should see the hair he sheds after winter! I can make a blanket!lol

1 - 10 of 10 Posts