German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1,657 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Stella (23 month GSD) has been playing with my son's 10 week old English Mastiff. She has been amazingly gentle. Of course I am watching her carefully so she doesn't get too carried away. It's been 2 weeks and the 2 of them are becoming good buddies.
The puppy is getting a bit more aggressive in his play and I wonder how I should handle it. I am sure Stella can put him in his place, but he is still a lot smaller than her and I know she could really hurt him. I am surprised at how much biting she puts up with from him and how gentle she mouths him in return. But he has been having such fun trying to chomp down on her tail....
I have stopped him from being overly "bitey" with her.
At some point I imagine he will be big enough for her to correct on her own. Just not sure what to allow and not allow at this point.
I am also trying to teach them "time out" means stop and settle down.
So, how rough is too rough?

·
Banned
1,283 Posts
So, how rough is too rough?
depends on the individual dogs tolerance, comfort zones, mental and physical robustness.

most inexperienced handlers seem to only find out AFTER permanent damage has been done.

i would just get them to cool it a bit when it starts to spiral up physically or one dog is starting to look to esacpe/submit, use yr judgement, hard to give a specific "number".

post a vid perhaps?

·
Registered
10,468 Posts
That puppy license will expire in a few weeks. Until that time pups can share adult dog's toys, jump on them etc. Then she won't be as tolerant anymore and put him in place. This can be rough and the pup can scream bloody murder but most adult dogs do what they need to do to teach puppies. As long as he doesn't get afraid of her, things will be OK. Keep us posted, will be fun to see if this happens.

·
Registered
2,804 Posts
When they start to get too rough, how about changing the tempo from "open play" to a short walk together?

Kira has one GSD playmate. We meet maybe every few weeks at most. When they play together, they get nuts. Both dogs don't like being held down, and both dogs do attempt to put the throat hold on each together.
When I see it get to that point, I call "TIME OUT", leash and walk them together. They both go into a much calmer state. When they hear "time out" they stop and literally walk themselves :)
In my own madness, it's just another form of diversion.

·
Registered
1,657 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Funny thing....it is the puppy that has been getting really worked up. Brings back nasty memories of the land shark phase with Stella. I almost forgot how sharp those little teeth were. I guess it is a good thing that Stella has a lot of fur....he just keeps trying to chomp her.
My son and I are teaching "time out". The puppy isn't exactly great on a leash yet so walking together is not too easy yet. But just a time out of NO MOUTHING OR BITING seems to be working. And a game of tug, or keep away seems to help lessen the mouth to dog contact!
Of course the puppy is growing really quick. When can the 2 of them be let loose together? Bear in mind, my son's dog is an English Mastiff and will be close to 200 lbs. We are not talking about an 8 lb yorkie.....

·
Registered
252 Posts
Sounds like an active house ?I have a girl who just turned one and a 7 month old boy. He is much large than her already. When he came home at 8 wks I was so scared she would hurt him by paying so rough. I always watched that it was "Playing" sometimes I just gets to rough for me and the noises! I will break them up if it gets real rough - but they seem to love it. They'll come in from playing outside and be the sweetest most gentle puppies ever! Mine def need to burn off energy
These puppies are full of energy and need to run, run, run and run some more. Lol

Sent from Petguide.com Free App

1 - 6 of 6 Posts