German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
989 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 4 month old GSD mix who is about 25# and a 10 month GSD/Mal about 75#. I just got the GSD/Mal on Saturday and the two have been getting along great. However they play very rough, chase, tackle and wrestle with plenty of “play biting”. There is not a lot of growling, although the big guy will at times, I don’t hear anything from the pup. Every so often the pup yelps and then the other one seems to go after him more. The pup always comes back for more and doesn’t seem to be afraid, but I do worry about the size difference and one time the big guy grabbed the pup in the middle of his back, that made me nervous, usually they grab each other on the scruff or front legs. Should I let them continue or when it gets intense stop them? I do have a call into my trainer but I haven’t heard from her yet.

·
Registered
1,878 Posts
Our dogs play extremely rough, it almost sounds like theyre killing each other at times! lol They are very very vocal when they play. Since their is such a weight difference between them, i would supervise their playtime, and step in when the heavier dog starts to get to rough, or if you hear the pup yelp. That means he's being to rough and needs a moment to chill out before playing again. Ours get to worked up sometimes too, and someone will bite someone a little to hard, causing a little *he pinched me, so i pinched him* childlike bickering, which is when i'll step in and break it up, reminding them to play nicely.

·
Registered
27,213 Posts
I adopted Kacie a year ago when she was 1 yr 8 mos. Onyx at the time was 5 mos. They played very rough, but I supervised them. Kacie would roll Onyx and Onyx would go back for more and more. Onyx developed Pano at 6 mos. and we had to put the brakes on rough play for a while. Because I didn't really know Kacies personality, I had to make sure she wasn't aggressive. She is fine and such a great dog!
Now a year later, they play hard, it is so much fun to watch them stalk each other and run...

·
Registered
3,204 Posts
Quynne and the two greyhounds at work play very roughly and sometimes very vocally. When it annoys (or worries) any of us we "bark" ie "Aah huh" and the activity stops and the three dogs come up to us wagging their tails and otherwise indicating it was all just fun!! Just be willing to step in when you are unsure and use a command that you know they will obey - or find one that will work!!!

1 - 4 of 4 Posts