German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
5,708 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Or are they vocal? Share video or photos if you have. :)

If you have a pack, do you see certain ones play when all out & at times the
others may jump in? How rough do you allow them to play? Do you watch &
need to break things up or do you let them work it out?

The vocal ones, how or what do they do? I have a couple that are very vocal
compare to my other two which do not make the bear (I call it) sounds. :rolleyes:
I know it is probably impossible to stop the vocal ones but when playing with someone
elses dogs, this scares them esp of a diff breed. My young female will start at times on greeting another dog with that bear sound (this is my vocal issue the most) or she also if all my crew is out playing & older dogs are doin their thing, she b-lines right to one, gets in their face, makes a bear sound, & darts. She is tryin to get that dog to chase her. Sure would be nice without the vocal part.... :rolleyes:

Just was curious how others play & how wild you let things get?

Please share video if you have. Thanks!!! :)

·
Registered
5,708 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Oh also, if you have to handle chillin things down if play gets too crazy, how
do you handle? ;)

·
Registered
5,708 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
:whistle: :whistle: :whistle: :whistle:

·
Registered
120 Posts
my 6 month old will play gentle with dogs. But if he gets a good vibe going with another large dog, he LOVES to play rough. Growling, barking, pouncing, biting. Here are a sample pic of him and one of his doggie friends. He's the black and tan GSD. And yes, he is having a blast here. They just take turns body slamming each other, combat rolls, bites, growls etc....

Attachments

·
Registered
1,373 Posts
my 6 month old will play gentle with dogs. But if he gets a good vibe going with another large dog, he LOVES to play rough. Growling, barking, pouncing, biting. Here are a sample pic of him and one of his doggie friends. He's the black and tan GSD. And yes, he is having a blast here. They just take turns body slamming each other, combat rolls, bites, growls etc....
same, mine is gentle with other dogs but if she can tell they like to play rough she gets pretty nasty :rofl:. Her favorite move is to grab the cheek tufts on her best gsd friend and PULL lol, they bite eachothers feet and body slam eachother, roll around etc. It's usually not LOUD but Lara gets really into it and likes to do super high pitched barks and yips and growls to get the game started again when they take mini breaks. She's quiet even when we tug, she is just vocal when she wants to start play

Oh also, if you have to handle chillin things down if play gets too crazy, how
do you handle? ;)
Grab a handful of food and throw it on the ground near them, if it rains treats it turns into a foraging fest instead of a wrestling match

·
Registered
63 Posts
My 2 shepherd are very vocal..people think they are fighting..i dont know how to post a video or i would show you

·
Premium Member
14,021 Posts
My GSD Robyn plays rough with the other dogs in the house, but is pretty good with other dogs outside the home. The new GSD Midnite is a lot rougher then Robyn. Robyn is VERY vocal and its a higher pitched vocal compared to Midnite...Midnite sounds VERY intimidating. My son doesn't like the way it sounds at all, I'm okay with it as long as I can get them to focus on me if I think its getting out of hand.

·
Registered
46 Posts
I have a 3.5 month old GSD puppy (Lucca) and a 6yr old GSD/lab mix (Riley) Both are very vocal when playing. The pup will stand back & bark at the older dog when he's trying to get her to start rough housing. Lucca also makes a grr-grr puppy growl while trying to tackle Riley.

Riley is extremely vocal, she makes a crazy growling-snarling sound while they are playing. It would probably sound pretty scary to someone who dose not know her. She makes the same noises when I rough house with her... she has a complete "off button"- I tell her all done & the growling stops instantly, and she goes from rough-tough dog to love bug in a heartbeat.

I break them up if things get too wild, since Lucca is still so small. Riley is very good about NOT biting, but due to her size vs his size I worry about her rolling him or pushing him too hard. All I have to do is tell her "that's enough" or "stop" and she will quit playing... Lucca I have to distract or separate him from her because he will keep trying to play no matter what.

If Lucca pesters Riley & she doesn't want to play, I usually just let them work it out (though I do keep a close eye on them). She will let him know how she feels without being overly rough on him.

·
Registered
5,708 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thank guys for the replies so far! :) Keepin coming. I believe you need to upload to youtube & you can share the link here. ;)

So, do you all hear the bear like sounds I am talkin about? Do any of your crew run up like my girl to make this sound & try to get others try to get them to chase? She is vocal when I play with her with my hands, not like this with tug.

Do any of your crew stock like a cat to pounce in the face of the dog not payin attention? I know when lots of space to run, the more amped up they get with neck biting, etc. :crazy:

Would love to see some videos. Please keep replies comin. :D

·
Registered
929 Posts
The first GSD i ever had was very submissive! But over her life time she met a HUGE GSD that she would play rough with and he totally boosted her confidence. But they played pretty monotone on the vocal part.
Then i got my lab boxer mix who is EXTREMELY rough! Very vocal, bites, pushes, i dont let him play with every dog. He has his friends that put up with it, but if a dog doesnt like how he plays then HE gets mad. No good.
My second shepherd, the new one i have now. He is vocal and testy, he is basically a pup so he pushes them to see what he can get away with. He also trys to be dominant. But over all he isnt a bad player, just vocal and pushy.

·
Registered
1,513 Posts
I'm sure given the chance he would play rough, but I have two smaller dogs so he has to play on the gentle side. He is not as vocal as my older male.

·
Registered
27,251 Posts
My three play hard, use to be vocal...but I made them stuff their mouths with toys to stop that and the biting.
I have a few vids, nothing exciting/or incriminating!
Photo's are in my signature. click Onyx,Kacie and there are plenty of pics of them playing/baring teeth, herding. They all get along very well for the most part.
But like I posted, they need their mouths stuffed!
When other dogs have come over to play, they have no idea my packs play style so I don't really allow other dogs with them any longer. too dicey.
In this one, Kacie stays near me for safety until Onyx finds her ball...Kacie knows the game rules.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v6AJoORrNz0
Karlo's obsessed with herding balls, he'd be great at treibball!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-1QlETk-iEk
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GmOypkdpLMk
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LMnKDWYkO7A

·
Registered
252 Posts
OMG. So glad to hear everyone's play just as hard as my two pups. (12 months and 7months)
The noises they make, running tackling each other pouncing barking growling etc.
Looks like they are having so much fun
They love it, in the house if it gets to rough I slow it down but outside I let them go...they wold never hurt each other, then when they come in they are Tired!!

Sent from Petguide.com Free App

·
Registered
3,334 Posts
Apache sounds like a grizzly bear. He will do this little dance and go back & forth trying to play bite Kiya. When she gets mad at him she'll snarl and snap at him. The 2 girls don't really make grizzly sounds when they play and they are always wrestling with each other.

·
Registered
10,376 Posts
WD tests the waters to check the play / dominance level of the other dog and he approaches unfamiliar dogs very carefully and submissive. He appeases the dominant dogs and adjusts his play level depending on the other dog.
He has a couple of adolescent intact male buddies and they are crazy about each other. They play extremely rough; shouldering, growling, jumping over each other while showing heavenly happy faces. They are all obedient and we can put them in a down stay quickly to cool off. I hope they continue to get along so well.

·
Premium Member
16,941 Posts
My two (Keeta 9, Gryffon 4) play very rough with a lot of growling and barking (noise coming mostly from Keeta's part). I've had people freak out on me because my dogs were fighting, and I was ignoring it, and they were trying to step in and break it up. I often have to give a little "doggy body-language" lesson during this time to show them that it is play. "See the hip-bump? That is play. See how the snarling and snapping is escalating, but now Gryffon suddently turns his head to look away, and Keeta stops and backs off? That is Gryffon giving a calming signal to let Keeta know that she is coming on too strong, and that is Keeta respecting his hint to tone it down. See how she redirects her attention from Gryff to the ball? See how Gryff is approaching her now that her attention has been redirected, and shoving his ball into her face? He is inviting her to chase him - all the snarling, snapping, wrestling, growling is part of the game, and Gryff is trying to induce Keeta to start all over again.".

·
Super Moderator
32,343 Posts
My dogs play very rough with each other, with lots of play growling, but they don't really play with other dogs. Here's a video I entitled "smackdown". :D

·
Registered
1,657 Posts
Stella likes to play rough....lots of neck biting, body bumping and noise. Loves a game of keep away! Not every dog likes this play style and that can cause a problem. When things start getting out of hand, a little leash time is in order for her. I think she may have met her match.....an 85 lb 9 month old male GSD. He plays just the same....and I bet he isn't done growing!!!!

1 - 18 of 18 Posts