German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1,314 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
How old should I wait for my pups to be when I should test them for the CGC? I'm training them in basic obedience, and I have been trying to find things to do with them, and thought the CGC might be a good thing to get them tested on as a start. Most of the test items we have been working on, but some of them we would have to start now. Just as a minimum what age would you test them?

·
2,967 Posts
I think it depends on your dog. I know people who had 7 month old puppies that passed, no problem. The puppies were very easy going, loungy dogs though, not exactly active, interested, drivey dogs. My male is 17 months old, almost ready for the BH, and the one thing that stops me from having him tested is the sitting politely for petting (if someone makes a fuss over him, he will break his sit and jump every time) so until I decide that it's very important to me to break that, I'm going to have to wait. On the other hand I had a rescue that practically came from the shelter ready to take her CGC. It was just her personality.

I think the majority of the test hinges on a good sit stay, a dog that is comfortable with handling, and basic loose leash walking. I think a year is a good time for the CGC, but as soon as you think you can do the exercises I would consider trying it out, also many trainers or local kennel clubs offer classes to prep and run you through the exercises.

Where in Florida?

·
Registered
1,314 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I've already located a club to get tested at. It's just a matter of actually preparing for it. I read on the AKC site the test items and how the exam will go, so I feel pretty confident we can train for it ourselves, now knowing what to expect.

·
"I like Daffy" Moderator
3,276 Posts
I had one of my pups pass at 4 months of age. But I thought she pushed him too hard too fast so that he would pass. When he was returned to me at an older age, we had some retraining to do as he was not a happy worker. So don't be in a hurry just because you can. Take your time and let him grow up.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts