German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
229 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I acquired an “8 week old GSD” night before last unexpectedly. Except he weighs about 4.5lbs. He LOOKS to my untrained eyes like a GSD but...4.5lbs? He has all his teeth, is eating dry Purina Puppy Chow, though not much, maybe 3/4 cup a day. He cries all the time, unless he’s asleep or doing a little play. He is going potty well, using a crate, he wakes me up to go out every 1.5-2 hours. He drinks very well.

Can you guys give me your opinion of whether he really is GSD and how old he might be? The adults are supposedly his parents.

Attachments

·
Registered
955 Posts
Looks younger, like maybe 6 weeks, but could just be malnourished/runt. Were his littermates the same size? I'd get him to a Vet to get checked out, he likely needs to be wormed. I also would not let your Vet give a bunch of vaccinations at this point, let the pup adjust and get healthy first. I'd also soak his food in some warm water or broth. I'd also switch over to a better quality food like Fromm large breed puppy, or something similar.

·
Registered
229 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I only saw a photo of a male sibling, will attach it. We have a vet appt in a couple of hours. I do plan to change his food, but I didn’t want to do it before I had time to come here for advice and take him to a vet. I wasn’t in serious “looking for a GSD” mode, so I have done zero research or refreshing my mind on GSD, as it’s been a little over five years since we lost Storm, and we’ve just moved back to our property. We’re currently living in our RV, so I didn’t exactly want to add a puppy to the mix just yet but Grandma got my little boy all excited about this puppy and...I’m a sucker/idiot/choose any similar word! What type of stores sell Fromm? I don’t remember seeing it at TSC, and there most likely aren’t any specialty pet stores here. My closest big city is Panama City and it is positively destroyed from Hurricane Michael. Hmmm...Chewy? I’ll check. Is there a certain version I should get? My GSD before Storm I always fed adult Nutro Lamb and Rice (I know that isn’t great food but it was the best I could do at the time due to being in Alaska with limited choices and shipping costing 10x the price of food.) Eventually Max will go on raw, but that just isn’t feasible right now with living in the RV. We should be in our house in a few months, and then I will have freezer space again. My shihpoo is on premade raw from Chewy but I don’t have room to store the amount Max will go through. Hubby would prefer Max be on kibble/canned until we are back to raising on our meat, as well. (When I got Storm, we had a 15 cu ft deep freeze full of food for her and I had lots of resources in Colorado Springs to get raw, but I haven’t even explored options for it here as I didn’t plan to add a GAD to the family until some time after Christmas when we are in our house again.). Obviously Max is not from the reputable breeder I was looking for in the area ?

Attachments

·
Registered
229 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Oops sorry I see you said large breed puppy! Off to check Chewy!

·
Registered
955 Posts
Chewy doesn't carry Fromm. Fromm cut ties with Chewy when it got bought out by Petsmart. I believe Petflow sells it if you want to buy online. You can also check and see if there are any retailers selling it near you: https://frommfamily.com/retailers/where-to-buy/

They look like the same size so my guess would be younger than 8 weeks, but the "breeder" bumped up the age to get the pups sold, or else nutrition has been lacking and they are small for their age.

Here are a couple pics of my pup at 8 weeks old for comparision:

Attachments

·
Registered
229 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Yeah, I thought he looked awful small. I know Storm was 10lbs at 8 weeks and she was a very sick puppy. This little guy seems healthy enough, just so freaking small. Any thoughts on Blue Buffalo Life Protection? That is readily available at TSC, seems to have 4 stars on DFA. (I'm horrible about running out of dog food, so I would prefer to use something I can get local, if possible.) Or Diamond Naturals or Nutrena Loyall, both LBP? We just moved from Upstate NY, near Watertown, and we miss it horribly! Your pup is gorgeous! Max's ears aren't even pretending to think about going up, that was another thing that kind made me go hmmmm... And he's so roly poly. It's entirely possible that Max's breeders are desperate after Hurricane Michael and lied about his age. In fact, I hope that is the case. Things are really, really bad for a lot of people around here right now, and there are lots and lots of homeless people and pets. I didn't pay much for him, and my baby is happy. Hopefully it won't bite me in the butt with HD or something.

·
Registered
229 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Speaking of Chewy being bought out...I haven't noticed a change in service, but I wonder if that's why they no longer have the brand of raw I was feeding my shihpoo. I can certainly understand Fromm's position on that. I had an amazing "natural" pet store in the Springs, I miss it a great deal.

·
Super Moderator
8,495 Posts
Your pup is sable and I’d guess 6 weeks - body condition appears healthy which makes the low weight even more baffling. Unless one of the parents is a patterned sable (does not appear to be the case), then they arent the parents of your puppy.

Reactions: RoseW and Katsugsd

·
Registered
513 Posts
TSC meaning Tractor Supply Co? They have the 4Health brand which seems like it has good reviews here on the forums. I think the general consensus on the forums is get a large breed puppy formula or an all life stages one. If you use the custom search on the forums you can check out some different food reviews by other forum members.

Chewy does carry Victor brand - my girl eats Victor Select Nutra Pro Active Dog and Puppy and my little boy (13 weeks) is eating Vet's Choice Health Extensions Chicken and Rice. I don't know too much about the Health Extensions, but my breeder does thorough checks on the foods before she gives it to her puppies and it was green lighted by her.

·
Registered
229 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Yes Tractor Suppy. I picked up a bag of 4Health, but I can’t remember which one. When I grabbed it I was going off feeding my other GSD adult food from puppy but a little reading tells me a LBP food is better now, so I plan to run by TSC to return or exchange it after we’re done at the vet. He’s 4lbs 11oz. The lady I got him from did call him sable but I had no idea how genetics works for coloring so I appreciate you clueing me in on that!

·
Registered
229 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Clean bill of health with minor worm load. About six weeks and possibly a mix. Said we would maybe be able to tell around 12 weeks. I did go ahead with the shot since he appears healthy. DAPPv no lepto. Will look that up when I get home. Panacur for worms. No giardia

·
Super Moderator
8,495 Posts
Purebred GSD can have a small size, long coats, rare colors, odd conformation, soft ears, white markings, gay tails, etc.... but having one or two or three of those things simply increases the likelihood of being mixed. Because your pup is small and sable with white tips - I’m leaning towards mix. The biggest clue however would be the parents coloring as I mentioned before. Sable pup isn’t possible without at least one sable parent. The adult (mom?) in the foreground of that photo is definitely Black and Tan (red)... any additional photos of the other?

·
Registered
229 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I messaged the lady and she insists he was 8 weeks on Monday, Oct 22. Also asked for more pics of the parents, but didn't mentioned anything else yet. If he really is 8 weeks, he must be mixed with Chihuahua or something! I hadn't thought about the gay tail, he DEFINITELY has that. I think she's lying about age for sure though, he's just too roly poly and unsteady on his feet to make me believe he's 8 weeks.

·
Super Moderator
8,495 Posts
lots of puppies carry their tails in that fashion. I was merely mentioning it as an example of unusual or non-standard traits..... your puppies tail looks perfectly normal.

·
Registered
229 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
lots of puppies carry their tails in that fashion. I was merely mentioning it as an example of unusual or non-standard traits..... your puppies tail looks perfectly normal.
Oh! I didn't come across that info hen I was reading about it earlier today. Still waiting on pics of the parents, trying to figure out how I can remind her without her wondering why I want to know

1 - 17 of 17 Posts