German Shepherds Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi guys!

Sorry if this isn’t the best forum for this I couldn’t find one I thought fit this topic. I adopted a female German Shepherd from the shelter about three months ago. We were told by two vets that she was approximately 3 to 4 years old but I was hoping you guys could give a second opinion because I just feel like she’s younger based on how clean her teeth are and just how she acts.

I could be totally wrong so please don’t make fun of me if I am! I’ve just heard all about vets getting age guesses wrong for animals. attached are some pictures of her and her teeth!

Thanks in advance ?

Attachments

·
Registered
8,617 Posts
I see wear on those teeth. I would think the vets are about right.

Basically once adult teeth are in and seated age is a guess. Diet, activity and genetics all play into tooth condition. I have had old dogs with beautiful teeth, and young guns with horrid ones.

·
Super Moderator
9,644 Posts
i’m gonna say between 2-5yrs. :p
only poking fun a little...
my near 13yo has whiter teeth than hers and my 6yo has had more build up and wear on his teeth than your girl, for several years now.
bottom line... it’s hard to say, but i think your vets got this one right. 3 is still young and some dogs remain puppyish for much longer - it’s just their personality.

·
Banned
1,255 Posts
My girl was estimated between 2-4, her teeth are similar in wear, and she doesn’t play with toys at all, and was never given bones or anything resembling a treat, just had some kibble tossed her way once every other day or so. Basically, she didn’t have any reason to have wear on her teeth like she did, and when my regular vet sold her practice and retired, the next vet said agreed with me and was leaning more to the older end of the 2-4 years. This will be her 9th year if I go by the 4yrs when I got her. Best 5 years of my life!

You’ve got a gorgeous girl, enjoy her no matter the age! Some dogs bred or raised poorly will still outlive their healthier bred counterparts. Don’t let the age question slow either of you down, she will let you know when it is time to slow down.

·
Registered
942 Posts
I would agree with others and say she looks like 2-5 years. That's great tho that she still acts like a puppy :) Good looking dog

·
Banned
1,255 Posts
Slightly OT. Floki was said to be 10 months old when we started fostering him. I always questioned it in the back of my mind. His adult teeth just started coming in, and he was super small. I didn’t think too much of it though, shelter dogs are always going to leave questions behind.

During the continued investigation of the owner and property, they were able to match Floki to hand written “charts.” He was born April 7th, so he was 7 months, not 10 when we got him. Doesn’t make a huge difference but just shows that aging a dog by teeth alone is never a sure bet. Also helpful to me so I don’t stop the puppy food too soon, but it still wouldn’t be the end of the world.

You won’t likely get a definitive answer unless an owner stepped up with records, which is unlikely.

It’s amazing to see such a beautiful healthy girl to wind up at a shelter. Their loss, your gain! Enjoy that beautiful girl!

1 - 10 of 10 Posts