German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
468 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey All,

This may be a silly question but when do you stop counting the pups age by weeks and start going by the date ....

Bogart was born January 15, if I count the weeks he would be 29 weeks this coming Tuesday, Aug 5....divide that by four and you would have 7 months and one week......or is he seven months old on August 15.

Just curious, am I the only one confused by this lol.

Bogart's Mom

·
Registered
1,312 Posts
I always get confused with this too!

Digging through the calendar...

Chevy is 7 months, 2 weeks and 5 days BUT...if I go by weeks, he is 33 weeks old which ends up being 8 months and 1 week

And Shya is 3 months 4 days but by weeks she is the same

·
Registered
27,243 Posts
I think after six mos, I started going by the month, it is less confusing! Onyx will be 21 mos on the 8/8 and when she turns 2 then I will go by years:(( time flies by way too fast!

·
Registered
7,924 Posts
Yup, once Gracie hit six months I started going by months. Once she hit 2 years I started going by years. I'm just strange that way LOL

·
Registered
7,782 Posts
I do like everyone else that posted.

Siren was born on March 20th. So she is 4 1/2 months or 4 months and 13 days, OR 19 weeks and 2 days old. I just say it by weeks up to 6 months.

·
Registered
7,782 Posts
The whole dividing my 4 weeks is all well and fine, BUT there is only 1 month that REALLY only has 4 weeks in it.

As I said, Siren was born on March 20th. So she was 4 months old on July 20th. But that made her 17 weeks and 3 days old from her birth date rather than 16 weeks.

·
Banned
15,195 Posts
now i'm confused. if i say my dog is 16 weeks isn't that 4 months? if i say he's 14 months old isn't that 1 yr. and 2 months. now i could drop the 2 months part ans say he's a year old or he's just a puppy. i like saying he's still a puppy because it makes him look larger than he is. so, when by dog is 1&1/2 yrs. old do i say he's 1&1/2 yrs. old or do i say he's 18 months. so, my dog was born 06/04/07 so how old should i say he is????? it's not easy having a GSD because we have to figure all of this stuff out. LoL.
Originally Posted By: Sasha2008Hey All,

This may be a silly question but when do you stop counting the pups age by weeks and start going by the date ....

Bogart was born January 15, if I count the weeks he would be 29 weeks this coming Tuesday, Aug 5....divide that by four and you would have 7 months and one week......or is he seven months old on August 15.

Just curious, am I the only one confused by this lol.

Bogart's Mom

·
Moderator who has gone to the dogs
14,619 Posts
Originally Posted By: doggiedadnow i'm confused. if i say my dog is 16 weeks isn't that 4 months? if i say he's 14 months old isn't that 1 yr. and 2 months. now i could drop the 2 months part ans say he's a year old or he's just a puppy. i like saying he's still a puppy because it makes him look larger than he is. so, when by dog is 1&1/2 yrs. old do i say he's 1&1/2 yrs. old or do i say he's 18 months. so, my dog was born 06/04/07 so how old should i say he is????? it's not easy having a GSD because we have to figure all of this stuff out. LoL
No, 16 weeks does not equal 4 months. It varies depending on the month the dog was born and if it was a leap year. February is the only month that is ONLY 4 weeks and this year it was 4 weeks and a day. All other months are either 30 or 31 days so each month from your dogs DOB will add two to three days to each 4 weeks.....

If I count by weeks I count by leave it at weeks since they were born. If I count by month I do it from the date that they were born. If you list it by month simply the number of months since the DOB will suffice. I use both interchangably for the first year, and then months for a while then usually years + months if it is really that important, which usually it isn't necessary to be that specific.

·
Registered
1,556 Posts
there are 365 days in a year, so no matter what u go by, he/she will still be one year old after 365 days. so i just went by months after i kept loseing track of how old he was by weeks. (time just kept gonig by faster and faster) if my memory serves me right, i think i started going by months just before or after 6 months.

·
Registered
7,782 Posts
Originally Posted By: doggiedadnow i'm confused. if i say my dog is 16 weeks isn't that 4 months?
No, as I said in the post before yours, there is only 1 month (Feb.) that is actually 4 weeks long, the rest are MORE than 4 weeks.

My pup was born on March 20th. So she was "4 months old" on July 20th. But that was NOT 16 weeks from her day of birth, it was 17 weeks and 3 days.

·
Registered
12,829 Posts
Maybe it's easier to remember by thinking of how it is at work (that nasty 4 letter word). Most businesses run on a 4 4 5 system where the months are NOT accounted from the 1st to the 1st.

4 weeks for month 1
4 weeks for month 2
5 weeks for month 3

Then repeat at 4 weeks for month 4 - or the start of the second quarter.
(4 weeks X 4 quarters) + (4 weeks X 4 quarters) + (5 weeks X 4 quarters) = 52 weeks

·
Registered
468 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
whew! My head is spinning ha ha. But it makes sense now
But sense we've been calling Bogart 6 months since he's been 24 weeks, and we won't call him 7 months until Aug 15, it means he's been 6 months for a very long time lol

·
Registered
12,829 Posts
LOL, but six months is a nice age for a puppy.

·
Registered
1,314 Posts
I used to get confused by this too! I just told myself to heck with it, and just went from months since Apollo was five months old and Zeus was 2 months. When Apollo hits one year, I'll just keep changing years.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts