German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Posting this in the Rally/Obedience forum, but I'd love to see ages (of the dog and/or handler) of any title or formal accomplishment you've gotten with your dog(s), including CGC, Rally, Obedience, IPO, Tracking, Herding Test, whatever. Just interested in seeing the range. :smile2:

I think I'll try for the CGC after the new year, so at 1 year of age. Informal goal of our first Rally trial next summer/fall around 18 months.

·
Registered
6 Posts
My Anneliese earned her CD title last fall at the ripe age of 7 1/2 months old. She did it in 3 shows and placed in each one! So proud!

·
Registered
118 Posts
Title age

I should have tested my dog in the Good Canine Citizen whilehe was 18 weeks old when I got him (He used to be quite and polite andanimals/noise didn’t bother him). Obedience training classes has made him hyper (go figure). It's hard toget him to sit with meet and greets (the jumping bean is his new nickname) andmaybe the fact he is going thru his terrible teens (10 months old now). My pupis not a bitter nor aggressive in any way that I have ever seen no matter whatthing/person/animal/bug crosses his path so Schutzhund training is not in hisfuture but he does like sent work if he would just calm down a bit (I doexercise him before class as well and he mostly calm, quietly lies down in hiscrate at class and match shows for a couple of hours and just watches the showwhile I am volunteering)

·
Registered
15,889 Posts
In IPO or whatever it is called this week, 18 mos min for BH and no other trials until the dog passes the BH. Got one dog out at 2.5 years for her BH, one about 2. Back when I was trying AKC obdience, I don't remember how old they were when we first entered.

·
Registered
4,391 Posts
I started competing my one in rally at about 9 months.

I think it depends on the dog and depends on why you are competing. I wouldn't want to put too much pressure on a baby but if you are having fun and they are having fun and they can perform at that level then why not

·
Registered
468 Posts
Katsu got her TKN (Novice Trick Dog title) at 6 or 7 months and her RATN (Novice Barnhunt) title at 10 months. She placed 3rd twice and 2nd once for Barnhunt. She got her ORT Birch at 11 months and from there we had to wait until 1 year to compete in NACSW Nosework trials and FastCAT. AKC Scentwork was new in the area so we didn't get to compete until after a year (the minimum age is 6 months).

Steel is 23 weeks. I haven't really done much with him yet aside from basic obedience at home. I may try rally with him. His main sport will be IPO/IPG (min age 18 months for BH) or some other protection sport so we have a while before he titles in that.

My shiba didn't get his CGC until the ripe old age of 3. Mainly because I was putting it off for so long under the impression he would fail because he's a shibe. He's an unofficial therapy dog for a local senior center now.

·
Super Moderator
18,681 Posts
In IPO or whatever it is called this week, 18 mos min for BH and no other trials until the dog passes the BH. Got one dog out at 2.5 years for her BH, one about 2. Back when I was trying AKC obdience, I don't remember how old they were when we first entered.
Actually the minimum age for the BH is 15 months.

The youngest I have titled a dog was Elena's BH done at 16.5 months. I did Nike's SchH1 at 23 months.

I think Tara was 22 or 23 months when I finished her CD. She was the youngest dog in our large obedience club that year. I remember we got a plaque for it. LOL Treue was 23 months when I did her BH and then just over 2 when I finished her CD.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts