German Shepherds Forum banner
21 - 27 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
90 Posts
Discussion Starter · #21 ·
Thanks again guys. They are such a huge part of our lives. Especially my daughters. We have always had 4 large dogs. And with that has come a lot of love and hard work. People never seem to understand why I would choose to have so many. I like to tell them its awesome to come home and have 4 big tails wagging at you. Or taking them for a ride in the country. Its comical to see 4 big heads sticking out of my car!
My aunt told me that I should add to my pack before they all passed for my daughters sake. So after taking care of them her whole she wouldn't wake up one morning and realize that they are all gone. So I add a small puggle and a gsd puppy. I love the puppy but of course the seniors do not. My only female wants nothing to do with him, but as a female and the pack leader she let's no one hurt him. So here are the two new pups along with my lifetime buddies. And the red one was king who passed away a few months ago of cancer.
Pics from top to bottom
Trouble- 5 months
Bobo- one year
Layla-12
Magic- 10 has cancer :(
King- passed at 12 of cancer
Methos ( meethos) 14

Sent from Petguide.com Free App

Attachments

·
Banned
363 Posts
Sadie (toy poodle) is 6.
Greta (Labrador) is 6-ish (not really sure, she was a rescue.)
Zee (GSD) just turned 2.

·
Registered
32,286 Posts
My oldest will be eight in August, and my youngest was born last Tuesday.

·
Registered
27,329 Posts
I think if we are proactive with #1 choosing the breeder who has long lived dogs in their lines, optimum nutrition,minimal vax'ing and keeping our dogs in a fit condition, the likelihood of cancer and other illness can give the dogs a longer life.

I have been reading Pukka's Promise in which the author, who also wrote Merle's Door did research for his pup to hopefully help that lifespan increase.
Even if you don't agree with all of his theory/suggestions, much of what he writes is spot on.

we had a dog growing up in the 60-70's(spaniel/collie mix) live to be 19.
My first GSD in the 80's lived to be 11(cancer).
Next dog, Border/Goldenx died at almost 15 and we put her down because her rear end gave out. She didn't have cancer.

Now I have 7.5, 6.5 and 4 yr old GSD's all raw fed, minimally vaxed and try to stay away from spot-on flea/tick treatment and all chemicals.
I buy non-toxic toys and nothing made in China!
Who knows how long they'll live.

·
Registered
1,455 Posts
Clipper,gsd, is 12, Hooch,pitbull, is 5 or6. His eyes look like Clipper's! I know what u mean about close in age, Clipper's litter mate Cody went to the bridge just this past sept, he had bone cancer. I just took Clipper in for his first adequin shot today, I'm hoping it helps him out with his back legs arthritis. They did say no jumping up into car, etc, but he doesn't try that any more, otherwise he eats good, wants to play, good spirits! That was how Cody was at the last, he still was Cody in heart and spirit, his body gave out.

·
Registered
32,286 Posts
How can we be certain what causes cancer though. I am cutting down on vaccinations, feeding a good food (I hope), and have decided to do no preventatives or insecticides that go in the blood stream as a preventive measure. But I just lost a friend yesterday to an insidious and rare cancer. She was 61. She used to run every day, eat good, stayed fit, could have run circles around me and I am nearly 20 years her junior.

Some places have a higher cancer rate than other places. Is it because of the types of food we eat, or the chemicals in the ground, air and water? Is it because of family relations, or environmental conditions? Are we all too close to the nuke plant? Are frozen prepared meals and soda pop doing it to us? If so, I'm a goner.

Actually, whether it is environmental, or genetic, or directly proportional to how well you keep yourself, I am a goner no matter how you stack the deck.

21 - 27 of 27 Posts