German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
90 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Today I took some pictures of my 14 year old German Shepherd. I was so happy and proud about how good he looks. Then I made the mistake of reading some stories about having to put your dog down. I just had to go through this with my dog last year. He had cancer. I also have a dog now that has cancer. I have for dogs in total. I made the mistake of getting them all very close in age. Now they're just kind of dying off one after the other. I am especially close to my oldest German Shepherd. These pictures are bittersweet. he looks pretty good for his age but yet they still remind me that he is very old. He has a little bit of trouble climbing the back stairs but he can still do it. he still jumps in the car to go for a ride. He can jump up on the bed,but sometimes he needs a little bit a help. If someone knocks on the door it's like he's two again. he Springs up from the couch and runs straight to the door barking. He doesn't like to run around and play much anymore. But he does like to play with our little puggle. he can lay down and play with the puggle using only his mouth and paws. He still likes to patrol the backyard and bark.The only real thing that I've seen that is troubling to me is that occasionally when he tries to jump into the car his back legs give out and he falls. this absolutely breaks my heart. But it does not happen often. And sometimes now I give is butt a little boost up to help him out.he groans sometimes when he gets up and down. But then so do I :D I'm not really sure why I decided to write this. I guess I just needed to talk to someone about it.
Sent from Petguide.com Free App

Attachments

·
Registered
2,213 Posts
My old Shih Tzu is 13. I know soon I will have to consider her quality of life but for now, she's as bossy as ever and not displaying any signs of pain.

·
Registered
10,593 Posts
Welcome!
He looks fantastic for a senior gentleman-- look at those eyes!
Seriously, he looks much younger than 14. If you would have had me guess I would've said maybe eight or nine.
Bless you or taking such good care of him. He looks like a very sweet boy.

·
Premium Member
4,612 Posts
He is in very good shape for 14yr old. I hope you get many more years from him.

·
Registered
90 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks guys. He didn't go grey until he was about 10. You can tell his age in person. The way he walks. He's stiff and trots instead of running. His eyes look really old mosty of the time. The pics of him was when he heard a sound. But yes he is in pretty good shape for his age. I just love him so much, I can't stand the thought of losing him.

·
Registered
32,563 Posts
He looks fantastic! Our oldest Boxer didn't really grey until she was older than 10. And our current 10 yr old looks like she's 5 (unless the previous owner lied and she really is about 5).

Banshee - 13 yr, 3 months
Chaos - 10 yr (exact unknown)
Sierra - 6 yr, 10 months
Jax - 5 yr, 3 months

·
Registered
423 Posts
He looks great for 14. Never would have guessed he's that old....

·
Registered
423 Posts
^^^

Forgot I have a 9 year 7 month old Kaos. Plus a new puppy Havoc born Dec. 22....

I really think my last GSD Genesis could have made it to 14 had it not been for DM taking him at 11 years 7 months. After he was diagnosed at 10 he could still run my neighbors 4 year old GSD into the ground. They would chase each other separated by a fence.......

·
Registered
3,132 Posts
My Cattle Dog Saba is 10 and Casja is 2. The foster dogs range in ages 2 years to 7 years. Your dog looks wonderful for his age!

·
Registered
852 Posts
Dakota is our oldest. He will be 9 in just over a week. He is a big boy, so 9 is old. When he was a puppy, we figured we would be lucky if he made it to 10. As he aged, we discovered he has hip dysplasia, arthritis, and epilepsy. We then figured he wouldn't make it to 8. When he was 6, he got worse and we were sure we would have to put him to sleep, but he got better. Today, he seems healthier than ever. I try to tell myself not to let that fool me, because he could take a turn for the worse at any time, but I am enjoying his new found youth/peppiness. He has never had it.

Ditto would be the second oldest and she will be 5 next month. That isn't very old, but she is a large shepherd, so I am hoping for 12, but expecting 10. It is sad to think that realistically she could be over halfway through her life.

Daisy is almost 4. I expect that she should live a long life. She is only 47lbs and has been pretty healthy. Anything can happen though.

Weegee is almost a year and a half old. Time flies way too quickly! Since he is 9lbs, he should be around for a long time.

You never know what will happen so you have to spend as much time with them as you can and appreciate what time you have.

·
Premium Member
14,021 Posts
Thanks guys. He didn't go grey until he was about 10. You can tell his age in person. The way he walks. He's stiff and trots instead of running. His eyes look really old mosty of the time. The pics of him was when he heard a sound. But yes he is in pretty good shape for his age. I just love him so much, I can't stand the thought of losing him.

He is beautiful:)Do you give him any glucosamine to help with the stiffness? My oldest dog came with a leg injury when I got her from the shelter and every now and then I see it bothers her. I give her the glucosamine and you can't even tell once it gets in her system.

·
Premium Member
14,021 Posts
My oldest will be 9 this year and I really get sad when I think about it. The time went by to fast and I hope to have many more years with her. I started doing complete blood work on her this year so I have a baseline on her. I can tell she is older now, she used to be a runner, now not so much. She looks good for her age, no gray and I will probably never see any gray because of the white that is naturally on her muzzle. My golden is a little over 3 and he already looks like a wise soul, but not gray yet. Golden's gray fairly early and that will make me cry:( He is a big boy, but my baby and he is my dream dog and ALWAYS happy. My GSD is about 18 months and she is very tall and lean, which is the way I want her to stay. She is my cuddle bug and I dread the day when she slows down, because that will be a sure sign. The vet informed me last week that my dogs are "pretty darn healthy" and I'll take that. My goal is to get as much time as possible with my babies, they are all a blessing to me. I also have 5 cats that are various ages. At some point I will be say good bye to all of them, some of them in probably a very close time frame. The ages of all animals in my house are 8.5 years, 7.5 years, 6 years, 6 years, 6 years, 3 years, 2 years, and 18 months.

·
Registered
9,796 Posts
MichelleMc your old boy is beautiful ... what's his name?

Honey was my oldest GSD, she was 13 years/9 months old when she died.

Of the Hooligans I have now:
Slider is 11-1/2.
Bruiser will be 8 on April 5.
Faith was 5 last December.

·
Registered
8,913 Posts
Your pup ;) is adorable! And looks terrific for his age!

I had a female named Beau who was with us until she was about 13.5 years old. She was spunky and silly right until the end. I miss her with my whole heart every day.

I currently have two dogs, Stark who will be 4 next month and Zefra who will be 2 next month as well.

It's funny because most people don't like getting dogs close in age because of the issues you are facing and thinking about - loosing them all together - but I see it a bit different.

They have one another through their lives, and that means that they will be with one another sooner at the bridge when their time comes. They won't be pestering one another in their senior years like a young dog or puppy would and will be able to relax and just enjoy their senior years with one another right until the end with little stress.

Yes, it is harder on us but I think at least in my mind, it will be easier on the dogs in the end.

I plan on adding to my pack next year keeping the 2-3 year gap between all my dogs.

·
Registered
9,796 Posts
MichelleMc your old boy is beautiful ... what's his name?

Honey was my oldest GSD, she was 13 years/9 months old when she died.

Of the Hooligans I have now:
Slider is 11-1/2.
Bruiser will be 8 on April 5.
Faith was 5 last December.
OOPS! Slider is 10-1/2 not 11-1/2 as stated above. Sorry about that!!! The other two guys ages are correct :)

·
Super Moderator
18,687 Posts
Your old guy looks great.

Alexis will be 10 on April 25.
Vala will be 9 on July 14
Deja just turned 4 this past Friday
Elena will be 2 on May 26

·
Registered
25 Posts
Sid is 5 and Big Moo (aka Mufasa) is 13! Moo is doing good for his age tho his legs are getting weak. Meds help. He still chases Sid around the best he can. I have to limit his running or he gets too sore later. Typical old dog, just a big warm fuzzy. Both were rescued gsd. Moo from Wood co OH and Sid from Elyria OH. Rescued one as far away California with the help of German Shepherd Rescue of LA. I wanted to have her sent to me but the cost was too high to go from CA to OH. She ended up at a great forever home.

·
Registered
24,301 Posts
MichelleMC I made a similar mistake with grouping dogs of similar age, based on a senior dog I had at the time who never acted like a senior - so I thought, oh, this isn't so bad at all. Whoops. So I have a group of 4 girls 1 is 9, 1 is almost 11 and then 2 are total guesses at at least 10 yo who are my "Golden Girls". Then 8, 7, me finally thinking (!) almost 4 and 1. Gorgeous 14 year old - amazing!

·
Registered
1,994 Posts
He looks GREAT for his age! :wub:
Handsome fella!

I have a 15 or 16 year old shepherd mix, and an 8.5 month old GSD puppy. I wont be adding another puppy until my puppy is 2 years old at least. I guess thats still pretty close in age...but when my female shepherd mix passes, i'm sure i'll end up getting another female.

·
Premium Member
21,368 Posts
he looks great for his age! And it sounds like he's doing very well also!

My aussie is 13, male aussie is 12 and Masi (gsd) will be 5 next month, where does the time go?:(

1 - 20 of 27 Posts