German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
How often should I let him out in the day and then at night too. I dont even have my puppy yet, he is not old enough to leave his Mother yet, but ill be bringing him home soon. Just so that im well prepared and know what to do and when to do it. :)

·
Registered
4,237 Posts
At 6 weeks, he should really still be with mom. I have a litter now that is 6 weeks. They have a door for indoor/ outdoor and go a LOT. Everytime they wake up..... and then 30 minutes later.

·
Registered
723 Posts
If possible, don't separate him from his mom and littermates until he's at least 8 weeks old. (Depending on where you live, it might even be illegal to sell puppies under 8 weeks of age.) Once you get him home, count on taking him out pretty much every time 1) he wakes up 2) he eats 3) he's been playing 4) he looks like he's looking for a spot 5) about 30 minutes have passed, just because. And the key word is take him out. Unless you go out with him, you won't know if he's actually pottied.

·
Banned
377 Posts
If possible, wait until he is 9 or 10 weeks. It will be easier on both him and you.
He will get more opportunity to interact with his siblings and be easier to train for you.
I know it's hard to wait but think of the benefits to you both.

·
Premium Member
16,941 Posts
When you get him (after he is at least 8 weeks old), take him out every hour or so. Don't "let" him out: Go out with him, make sure he does his business, and praise and treat like crazy. In addition to regular trips outside, take him out when he:

has just eaten
just woken up from a nap
anytime he comes out from his crate
anytime you see him getting hyper and bitey, or whinny
anytime you seem him circling and sniffing the groun

For the first week or so after he comes home, set your alarm to get up and take him out half-way through the night.

Watch him closely to figure out his schedule - at first your job is to just take him out often enough that his need to go coincides with being outside. Then as you get to know when he normally goes, you can adjust your schedule of potty breaks to coincide with his needs.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts