German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Sorry in advance if I posted this in the wrong place. Well, my titles says it all, how often does your female go into heat? I was having a discussion with my friend about our dogs and she told me that her girl goes into heat about once a year. Before I spayed my 6 year old girl, she would go into heat about every 3-4 months! How often does your girl go into heat? Is it the lifestyle, for example diet/exercise, that makes it different for each dog, or is it just different for each dog? Sorry for this question, just out of curiosity and a lot of free time haha. :grin2:

·
Registered
1,373 Posts
mine typically 8 to 9 month gaps, sometimes a little more, sometimes less. I think it's just different for each dog, like how some people are different with their menstrual cycles

·
Banned
4,417 Posts
Mine didn't have her first heat until she was 11 mos old. The 2nd and (just finished 3rd heat) though were exactly six months of no heat and 3 weeks of visible heat. So, lucky me - that puts her next one in December during the holidays.

·
Registered
5,714 Posts
Sorry in advance if I posted this in the wrong place. Well, my titles says it all, how often does your female go into heat? I was having a discussion with my friend about our dogs and she told me that her girl goes into heat about once a year. Before I spayed my 6 year old girl, she would go into heat about every 3-4 months! How often does your girl go into heat? Is it the lifestyle, for example diet/exercise, that makes it different for each dog, or is it just different for each dog? Sorry for this question, just out of curiosity and a lot of free time haha. :grin2:
I had a female who went in heat starting at 11 months every 6 months like clockwork, then at 2.5 years old she just stopped. When I had her spayed we found that in all probability she could never have reproduced anyway. I have one now who is about every 4 months and a bit irregular. A friends English Mastiff only comes in heat once a year, or actually about every 10 months.
Most responsible owners of intact females keep fairly good track of heats, so it should be pretty easy to satisfy your curiosity:smile2:
I think it has more to do with genetics then anything else. Not sure diet/health has anything to do with it since stray dogs seem to breed like rabbits:smile2:

·
Super Moderator
18,686 Posts
I had a female years ago that was 4.5 months. All of my girls now are 6-7 months.

·
Registered
5,844 Posts
My foundation bitch comes in ever 4-5 months. Puppies seem to extend time to five months, otherwise in every four.

Dunno yet if her daughter short cycles, but judging by current behavior, I think she'll be the same. She also came in the latest of any of my bitches...19 months. Her (younger) sisters are on their way in and are 11 months old.

·
Registered
1,287 Posts
Two of my bitches could set calendars, six months to the day with a 1-3 day margin of error. I got 7 months on one that was bred after she whelped her litter, but she went through a prostaglandin series so that's expected. A third does what she darn well pleases-sometimes I get six months, sometimes up to nine. My fourth hasn't come in yet (almost a year). The two bitch puppies from the dam I bred came in at 10 months (and was spayed) and one year (and was spayed). The second bitch dropped milk *after* her spay and had a false pregnancy... Entertaining, surgeon didn't believe me until he saw her for suture removal.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts