German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 20 of 46 Posts

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
We've had Pepper since she was 8 weeks old and she's had a full bath once. She does get wiped down and brushed...but not shampoo-ed. How often are you supposed to bathe them?

·
Registered
3,116 Posts
You are not suppose to bathe them more than once a month I believe. If you bathe them often it strips them of essential oils they need.

·
Registered
1,834 Posts
You can bathe your dog when it needs it. There is no special "schedule" you need to follow or avoid. It's never good to bathe too much but if your dog needs a bath, give him one ;)

·
Registered
224 Posts
You can bathe your dog when it needs it. There is no special "schedule" you need to follow or avoid. It's never good to bathe too much but if your dog needs a bath, give him one ;)
:thumbup: It worked out to be about once a month with Sadie and I'll likely keep to it with Kelly.

·
Banned
5,219 Posts
We've had Pepper since she was 8 weeks old and she's had a full bath once. She does get wiped down and brushed...but not shampoo-ed. How often are you supposed to bathe them?
How old is Pepper now?

I've had mine since she was 11 weeks, she is 17 months now and has only had one bath. However, she has bee swimming several times and she gets brushed and wiped with a damp towel often.

·
Registered
27,294 Posts
I only give my dogs baths when they get dirty. They just got bathed on Saturday as the coats had alot of dirty dust in them(we haven't had rain in over a month)
It was my 20 month old's 2nd ever formal bath.
Diet plays a role in doggy odor, my dogs have none, they are rawfed and get many supplements.
My dogs love baths...I just prefer to let the natural oils keep the coat healthy(and frequent brushing)
Here they are just after their baths, begging to go out and roll in the yard:

·
Premium Member
21,368 Posts
My shepherds have rarely needed baths, yes the occasional 'show', or when they've decided to roll in something nasty, (but most of my shepherds would never even think to do something like that:)

In the summer Masi swims alot and I do the occasional suds up...In the winter, she'll most likely go to the groomers atleast twice..

My aussies on the other hand, well my 'girl', is a little pig pen and has that long flowing aussie coat, so she needs regular bathing, grooming, but I do it myself most of the time, unless I decide I don't want to deal with all the hair..

I use my metro air force blower ALOT, which keeps alot of the dust/dander/loose hair off them..can't live with that machine:)

·
Registered
537 Posts
I agree on 3-4 times a year..they are not really a "smelly" breed. Mine always get a bath around this time to get ready for all the company we will have over the holidays. So, if it is sunny this weekend they will get their shower (that is where I bathe them).

·
Registered
27,294 Posts
We were talking about that at training yesterday...company coming=baths! I was lucky when I bathed the dogs on Sat, it was sunny...Karlo and Kacie laid in the sunspots(for a change) to dry.

·
Registered
445 Posts
My 2 dogs are inside dogs and we only take them out to use the bathroom and a daily exercising and walk/jog. By the end of the 3rd week after baths they get to stinking. Well, it's a smell I don't particularly like and they both have a different oder. When they are walking down the stairs of our apartment you can usually see the dust on them and that's when I know it's time for a bath. After the bath they look and SMELL so much better!

·
Registered
6,912 Posts
Unless they get unusually dirty, i'd say no more than once every 3-4 months. There's really no need to bathe any more than that if healthy and eating a quality diet.

·
Registered
6,912 Posts
My 2 dogs are inside dogs and we only take them out to use the bathroom and a daily exercising and walk/jog. By the end of the 3rd week after baths they get to stinking. Well, it's a smell I don't particularly like and they both have a different oder. When they are walking down the stairs of our apartment you can usually see the dust on them and that's when I know it's time for a bath. After the bath they look and SMELL so much better!
What are you feeding?

·
Registered
27,294 Posts
My dogs have an odor because I gave them baths...that wet dog smell lingers after 2 days. Though it is humid, warm and raining(finally) today.
After I bathed them they carried a smell.
I used an oatmeal infused shampoo, no conditioner.
Before that they just looked dusty but no odor.

·
Registered
1,500 Posts
I take him to the groomer 2 times per year. Other than that, he just gets a hose down if he gets really muddy.

·
Registered
32,033 Posts
I bathe them when they are dirty, if they rolled on something yucky, if they are smelly, if they are going to go to a show. Usually they get bathed twice a year professionally. In the summer I will hose them down, and occasionally soap them up and hose them down outside.

Mostly though, they keep themselves pretty clean. Clean enough to share my bed.

·
Registered
728 Posts
Remi hasn't had one yet, it hasn't been needed. I don't really let him roll in the dirt or mud, and his coat is just gorgeous, it's so shiny and silky, so he's looking amazing without a bath.

My little dogs always need them, I have my Pom and Shi-Poo groomed and both clipped to keep 'em clean, and the corgi is a low rider and picks up everything like a mop, he gets 'em once a month!

1 - 20 of 46 Posts