German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 20 of 45 Posts

·
Registered
133 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've always been told that more than 2 baths a year is rough on a German Shepherd's skin. How often do you bathe your dog, and is his coat shiny and healthy?

·
Registered
27,245 Posts
My dogs never get baths unless they get muddy, then a rinse off inside(handheld shower attachments rock) but I seldom use dog shampoo. The coats and skin are in really good shape, I supplement with oils and rawfeed, they don't shed excessively either.
I am as of today using a home made essential oil spray to repel ticks, so we will see if the coat gets nasty from it.

·
Registered
9,025 Posts
One of my guys who has EPI now visits the groomer every two weeks for an oatmeal soak, shampoo, and rinse. He loves the hydro-tub. His once dry itchy skin and patchy hair now are fine and his coat is once again full, soft, and shiny. He loves the pampering and an added benefit is it helps his achy joints.

My other male gets 2-3 tub baths a year in the house.

·
Registered
67 Posts
I've been giving mine a bath every 2-3 weeks because she's an indoor dog and gets smelly. Did the same for my last dog and he had beautiful fur and skin for 15 years.

·
Registered
3,475 Posts
Maybe once a year. Both my dogs hate being bathed ( our boy is worse than our girl) so I use waterless shampoo if necessary and keep them well brushed. Earthbath makes some nice wipes too, for just freshening up the top layer..... I live in a dry climate, so it's easy to avoid muddy places, and they stay clean.

Anja SchH3 GSD
Conor GSD
Blue BH WH T1 GSD - waiting at the Bridge

·
Registered
27,245 Posts
I've been giving mine a bath every 2-3 weeks because she's an indoor dog and gets smelly.

If you feed a quality nutritious diet, the GSD should not have any odor, unless there is a medical issue going on.

·
Registered
5,250 Posts
I bathe once every two weeks or so. Frag's coat is GREAT but he had bad skin issues that get WORSE when we don't bathe. We're trying new foods, etc, but even on raw he was itchy. He gets oil supplements as well.

·
Registered
67 Posts
If you feed a quality nutritious diet, the GSD should not have any odor, unless there is a medical issue going on.
She's been doing very well on Dogswell which is a Whole Dog Journal recommended food. She also gets fish oil once a day. She is on antibiotics for a spinal infection, but no other health issues. What causes the doggy odor?

·
Registered
801 Posts
Never. Wolfie's coat is very shiny and soft. I credit the raw diet and salmon oil for this. And he actually smells really nice, to boot. No "doggy" smell unless wet from the rain. And funnily enough, we frequently get comments from our visitors like "Oh, looks like he just had a bath, he feels so soft." DH and I just share a look and keep our traps shut ;)

·
Registered
47 Posts
I bathe mine every 3-4 weeks. She is on BB Wilderness Duck so I know the food is good. She also gets 4000mg of salmon oil per day. Plus I feed her 2-3 raw eggs per week as well. Her Coat is Awsome but still needs the bathe for being an inside dog.

·
Registered
3,143 Posts
Only when he poops himself!

·
Registered
3,558 Posts
I bathe Tessa about every other week because she is my service dog. Emma gets bathed often but a bit less than Tessa. I don't want Emma to pass on a smell etc to Tessa. I also wash their bedding very often for this reason.

As long as you use a quality shampoo its fine. I like using a separate conditioner as opposed to a combo shampoo.

I feed raw, and give fish oil and vitamin e.

·
Registered
67 Posts
I bathe Tessa about every other week because she is my service dog. Emma gets bathed often but a bit less than Tessa. I don't want Emma to pass on a smell etc to Tessa. I also wash their bedding very often for this reason.

As long as you use a quality shampoo its fine. I like using a separate conditioner as opposed to a combo shampoo.

I feed raw, and give fish oil and vitamin e.
What shampoo do you use?

·
Registered
3,558 Posts
currently mane and tail shampoo and conditioner. Its very gentle and more affordable. There are many dog products that are also used for horses and are cheaper when purchased for horses than dogs!

·
Registered
10 Posts
about 4 or 5 times a year.. he can get a little doggy smelly. natures gate makes an amazing aloe based shampoo that works great.

·
Registered
109 Posts
I've been doing it on a need to do basis. Take in mind he is only 4 months old, but Blitz has been washed about 3 times and he is going to the groomer for his first out of the house washing experience. He usually just gets them for getting muddy or walking through his urine, but since he is potty trained.. I don't have the latter one to worry about too much now. He was having problems with his anal glands but his new food seems to have fixed that. (Dogs anal glands let out a nasty liquid that can be confused for a smelly dog). When he first comes inside he seems to have a distinct odor also, but either we get used to it or it goes away.

·
Registered
5,991 Posts
I like clean dogs....they get baths monthly or as needed (such as after swimming in a stinky pond :) )

Never had a problem with it drying out their skin. In fact, my girl that gets the "itchies" doesn't get the itchies if she gets a bath at least once a month.

·
Registered
1,500 Posts
I get Bison bathed at PetSmart 2 times per year or when his fur feels greasy or dirty to the touch. If he gets muddy, he gets sprayed down with the shower sprayer.

·
Registered
99 Posts
Maya is 7 mos. old and has only had 2 baths. She never smells but gave her a bath the day we brought her home and again after her spay when she stayed at the vets. She never has an odor whatsoever which is a total relief considering our previous dog suffered skin problems and required frequent bathing.

1 - 20 of 45 Posts