German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 20 of 38 Posts

·
Registered
187 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I bathed Raven 2 1/2 weeks ago with an oatmeal shampoo but Raven likes to roll around in the grass etc when she gets silly and she plays. I do brush her every other day although she thinks brushing is a game and tries to go after the brush so sometimes brushing can be cut short.

I was wondering how often does everyone bath there GSD?
I do not want to do it to often and dry her skin out..

·
Registered
929 Posts
i was wondering the same thing, i use to bathe shilo alot but now i dont, i just brush and rinse of, but when she gets to stinkin...

·
Registered
6,912 Posts
I bathe once every 3-4 months, so a total of 3 or 4 times a year is more than enough. If you bathe too much its not good for their natural oils.

Now if they were to roll around in some mud or go swimming in the ocean than an extra bath here and there isnt going to hurt anyone, but once every few months is more than enough.

·
Registered
3,742 Posts
this year Sage has had 3 baths. Once as a baby and 2 during fall/winter because he took mud baths and it was too cold to rinse him down. He gets a hose off when needed though

·
Registered
929 Posts
when you bathe to much and get rid of the oils what happens?

·
Registered
3,467 Posts
Doesn't the doggy smell get to be a little much when you only bathe them a few times a year?

·
Registered
929 Posts
i would agree.. shilo stinks after a while..

·
Registered
6,912 Posts
Doesn't the doggy smell get to be a little much when you only bathe them a few times a year?
No, not at all. Lucy never has that doggie smell and she bathes only a couple times a year.

If you feed a good diet, there should be no doggie smell at all. Poor quality kibbles will usually cause a dog to smell. What are you feeding?

·
Registered
929 Posts
so thats the main thing isnt it? the diet.. shilo hasnt smelt or had a greasy coat since we switched her food, i just noticed that haha

·
Registered
3,467 Posts
No, not at all. Lucy never has that doggie smell and she bathes only a couple times a year.

If you feed a good diet, there should be no doggie smell at all. Poor quality kibbles will usually cause a dog to smell. What are you feeding?
Oh, my baby smells fine...like a puppy but I've never met a dog that didn't smell like a dog. What do you feed Lucy?

·
Registered
6,912 Posts
What do you feed Lucy?
Innova adult at the moment, but she's switching over to Orijen as soon as i run out of the two leftover bags that i have from an order i made a couple months back, but that's a whole other conversation why im switching off the innova.

Along with the innova, i feed steamed chicken everyday, yogurt, green tripe, cottage cheese, canned pumpkin, carrots, raw eggs, and a bunch of the canned merrick flavors. All healthy stuff with a quality (well, was quality) dry kibble.

If you don't want to have that doggie smell, a good diet is key. It has nothing to do with baths, it's all about the diet.

·
Registered
3,467 Posts
Innova adult at the moment, but she's switching over to Orijen as soon as i run out of the two leftover bags that i have from an order i made a couple months back, but that's a whole other conversation why im switching off the innova.

Along with the innova, i feed steamed chicken everyday, yogurt, green tripe, cottage cheese, canned pumpkin, carrots, raw eggs, and a bunch of the canned merrick flavors. All healthy stuff with a quality (well, was quality) dry kibble.

If you don't want to have that doggie smell, a good diet is key. It has nothing to do with baths, it's all about the diet.
I'm curious about why you include dairy products and veggies. I looked up that green tripe...yuk! How can you do that? I'm squeamish!

·
Registered
6,912 Posts
I'm curious about why you include dairy products and veggies. I looked up that green tripe...yuk! How can you do that? I'm squeamish!
Dogs don't need veggies in their diets. Everything they need is in the meats that they eat. Dogs are carnivores.

I feed the yogurt mainly because of the active cultures in the yogurt. Very healthy. Don't feed any of that flavored or sugary kinds. Only the low fat non flavored kind.

I feed about two raw eggs every week because it's a good source of extra protein and it's great for their coat. Nothing will make their coats shine like a few raw eggs every week if you ask me.

Green tripe does stink, but from what i've read is possibly the healthiest and most beneficial thing you can add to a dogs diet. There's tons of research on it's health benefits. Just do a quick google search and youll find plenty. It does stink though.

Fruits and veggies are just not needed. Nothing wrong with feeding them once in a while, but again, dogs are carnivores and veggies arent needed, so i dont really feed them. I do feed carrots though as a treat. That's only because lucy goes absolutely crazy for them. When I take out the carrots, she'll do back flips if i asked her to.

·
Registered
3,742 Posts
I feed Orijen, occasionally he gets a meat or canned wellness core added to his kibble (or just in a kong) he also gets lots of knuckle bones and a few marrow bones here and there. I don't put egg or yogurt in regularly but he still gets it on occasion.

His treats are human foods (cheese,chicken,hotdogs, etc)

tripe :sick: nope can't do it

·
Registered
1,395 Posts
A lot of it depends on the food you feed them. Since Lou has been on RAW and home cooked she doesn't ever smell at all, either body or breath. I also give her salmon oil for her skin and coat every day. My DH is AMAZED at how this works and won't let me feed her kibble anymore LOL. Well, Orijen or TOTW and a few others are okay but most kibbles do make them stink a bit.

The ONLY time I bathe her is when she gets home from the boarding kennel as she seems to pick up a lot of "stink" there LOL. And even then she cries and whines the entire time in the bathtub!

·
Registered
187 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Well I do not have a problem with a smelly dog..lolol...I do feed her blue buffalo and she loves it and her coat is shiny and hardly any shedding.
She just gets silly and goofy and rolls in the grass and dirt when she is playing.
I also noticed her scratching alot lately. I have used advantix and then few weeks later frontline but still scratching. I saw one flea with the advantix but have not seen any since the frontline.
It is driving me crazy! No other animals in the house are scratching and have fleas.
I cannot find fleas on her. But still she scratches...any clue?

·
Registered
6,912 Posts
She might be allergic to something in the food. Could be the protein in the BB or it could be the grains. Grains are a very common allergy source for dogs and is a big reason why some people choose to feed grain free. Allergies can also cause a dog to smell as well as itch, so that's my guess as to what's going on.

You may want to consider switching to either a lamb and rice formula to see if chicken is the problem or you may want to get off the grains all together.

1 - 20 of 38 Posts