German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
284 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I wana give kai a bath because the weathers good and i need to do his flea treatment so i thought to do both at the same time. I gave him a bath about a month and a bit ago but ive heard it should only be every 4-6 months as its bad for their coat..

·
Registered
9,954 Posts
You are going to get a lot of differing opinions on this one.

My breeder said to keep baths to a minimum, namely, if he gets very muddy or rolls in something such as manure :)

Hans is almost a year and a half and has had a total of three baths since I got him.

·
Registered
27,279 Posts
I would only bathe them when necessary. If you are feeding quality nutrition the coat is naturally soft and the skin produces oils to keep the coat in good condition. Brushing every few days will distribute the oils and take out any loose undercoat.
If my dogs get into something or get extremely dusty, I'll hose them down or more intense bath with shampoo, but only a few times per year do they need a shampoo bath.

·
Registered
6,505 Posts
It may depend on the dog and the shampoo. Each has individual skin characteristics. The drying and detergent qualities of the shampoo can be an issue.
There are no soap shampoos that strip oils less.

I have bathed every four days for medical purposes. The shampoo was medicinal.

The show dogs get bathed once a week when getting ready for a showing. Coats stay healthy and ready to show off! I spend way more on the dog's shampoos than I do my own, so I am careful about oil stripping and the quality of what is going on the coat. The dogs who are not showing probably get a quarterly bath. When coats are blowing, I have more bathing and grooming sessions. Daily brushing and combing for awhile to get the old coat out.
My Sheltie had his first coat blow. I am working on getting his coat to turn or grow in a new under coat. He is bathed and conditioned weekly. Brushed every day.

The dogs who are just hanging out get a bath every 2-3 months. I might do it more often if I wanted to remove more shedding undercoat. But, I have given up on that! My house has a light coating of dog hair.

·
Registered
2,315 Posts
I've had my puppy over a month. He's had to have two baths so far ... once because he played in his wading pool and then wallowed in the dirt and was caked. I gave him a bath last night because after seeing the lake for the first time he decided to lie down in the water and I'm sorry .. lake water is nasty. Hopefully, he won't need any more anytime soon!

·
Registered
1,677 Posts
I fed Banjo a grain free *almost* raw diet, took me a few years to really nail down what his body liked. Once I had his diet dialed in he never needed a bath. Which is kinda a shame, as he liked all the attention and rubbing and whatnot. Lots of brushing of course, double coated dogs are always in need of a brushing it seems. I think my routine of brushing and general inability to keep my hands off him helped keep his coat shiny and non-smelling.

·
Registered
8,690 Posts
I bathe whenever necessary, normally every 3-4 months for Delgado now. I found as a puppy he got into everything AND it was much worse and he stank more often then he smelt nice :sick:

Jazzy gets groomed every 6-8 weeks so she gets a bath at the groomers included with her clip.

·
Registered
2,478 Posts
Lisl had three soapy baths before she was nine weeks old. None the worse for wear.

Now, we jump in the kiddie pool about three times a week. I don't give her a bath in there though. But when the time comes I probably will.

There's a difference in just jumping in the pool, and using soap to wash the oil from the fur and from the skin.

·
Registered
3,325 Posts
I'm like Sunflowers - seldom give a bath unless she is really visibly dirty or covered in sand, even then I often just hose off. Our dog does not smell nor is itchy.

·
Registered
624 Posts
GSDs seldom need baths - if they get dirty or their fur gets matted, then run them a bath! Its not usually necessary because bathing strips the protective natural oils from the skin and fur. Some dogs, like cats in general should never be bathed unless its a condition that requires one to do for them what they can't do for themselves.

·
Registered
19,157 Posts
Shasta gets a bath every couple months or as needed and Dax currently gets into anything and everything he can so he pretty much gets weekly baths but he's a puppy. Depends on the dog, the situation, etc. Lots of factors go into actually. Most of the time GSDs don't really need a bath though.

·
Registered
2,150 Posts
Most people don't bathe them enough, actually! You don't want to do it every day, but it's actually really important to help prevent skin infections and irritation, and can also help pets with allergies. Shampoo's have come a long way and aren't nearly as harsh or drying as they used to be.

See the link I posted below, with Dr Becker :)

She even tells you how to do some different dips/rinses in lieu of a full bath.

Some dogs will obviously need to be done more or less often than others based on their breed, lifestyle and just their own genetics.

·
Registered
6,117 Posts
I'm a professional groomer, so I have an educated opinion on this. :) As long as you use a mild, gentle shampoo that does not strip the oil out of the coat, you can bathe your dog as often as you want. I have a lot of GSD clients who come in about once a month. That said, with double-coated breeds, brushing is more important than bathing to keep the coat clean and in good condition. Getting the dead undercoat out is key, and a good slicker brush is your best tool for that.

I bathe my own GSD about every two months, and I'd probably do it more often if I wasn't so tired from bathing other people's dogs all day! ;)

·
Registered
538 Posts
Jake is 17 months and has had a total of 3 baths ... we were told by our vet to only bath when necessary or no more than a couple times a year. Jake goes on trail walks, loves running through the water and he always has a pleasant smell ... he just smells like our Jake. He never smells bad.

·
Registered
135 Posts
My dog is a 3 years old intact female,I have had her since 8weeks old has never had a bath, does not itch,scratch, smells great, great shiny coat. She swims in lakes, pools, hikes etc.

Laurel

·
Registered
1,661 Posts
Truly depends on the dog like everyone else has said. I have the added benefit of a white dog who's coat looks dingy and the natural oils, if on his coat for a while, will start to yellow, but even then, it takes several months for it to be noticeable. If he gets muddy, I'll actually bathe him as, depending on the dirt, it can leave a stain.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts