German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 20 of 64 Posts

·
Registered
1,695 Posts
I lost the 'genetic lottery' with my dog, I've been averaging $500 each month on vet bills the last 12 months. I regret not buying a more comprehensive pet insurance policy than the one I bought when I got my dog as a puppy.

On a monthly basis you have worming and heartworm medication, pet insurance. You could add to that training fees and equipment. If you want to go away on holiday you may have kennel fees. There's bedding, toys, shampoo, training treats, a collection of first aid and medical items for health and wound care, immunizations, dog registration, and equipment that needs replacing from time to time. There's the cost of desexing. There's the weekly food bill. As a puppy, my dog cost around $1000 in chewed furniture, remote controls, carpet restoration, and other stuff I've long ago forgotten about. I'm conservatively guessing I'm spending over $10,000 a year. I'd say a healthy dog with no ongoing medical expenses, all in, would hopefully cost $3000 to $4000 a year.

·
Super Moderator
4,960 Posts
wow, it can vary greatly. Instead of giving you a total let me give you an idea of what you may have to pay for. We have $$ in savings in case our dogs get injured, and active GSDs can be more prone to that than your average couch potato dog. Otherwise you may want a pet health insurance policy. You'll want to stay current on puppy shots and check ups. You'll want to find a good vet, not just pop into a pet store clinic. They can be good for small issues, though. Micro-chips can be implanted for $20. and depending on the brand may cost about that much to put your info into their data base or update the info if you move. Money well spent. If you register your dogs with your county it can run as little as $25 and even less if your dog is neutered / spay.

Then there is food and training treats. You can spend from $40 to $80 for a 40 lb bag of decent food. If you feed raw, that can be much more. Someone else will have to give you that estimate. Bags of treats can run around $7. We like to give bully sticks and buy those in bulk which makes them half the price of buying them one at a time in the pet store. One of my dogs like crunchy carrots so that is much less expensive.

Training can run you $50 a session to $200 for a six week course. Some even more. If you want to join a sport club there may be dues.

Equipment can vary a lot. I'd stay cheap with puppy collars and harnesses. They outgrow them right away. At about a year the dog has their full height and will fill out muscle wise. You can still pretty much determine how big they'll be. Then you can spend good money for gear that will last and won't need constant replacing. If you do IPO or Man Trailing or Agility or Flyball, etc that is $$$

You want a good leather leash, a long line, a good flat collar to hold things like i.d. tags, training collars if you need them. For those you want to shop around. You can still get quality at a decent price. You will most likely want a crate for in the house, maybe an x-pen. You'll want some sort of dog bed. I suggest not spending a lot of money on one of those until you know if your dog will use one. You may want to invest in some good chew toys but again, start cheap because you could buy a bunch of Kongs just to find out your dog doesn't care for them. I allowed my pups to tear up cardboard boxes and rinsed plastic juice bottles. Just watch out for staples, tape and rough edges. When they get beat up throw them away.

All that being said, my first GSD from a shelter was an already trained adult. We didn't do any sports. I didn't feed him premium food. I did take him for long walks and loved him. It didn't cost us nearly as much money as our two now that we got as pups. The two we have now I've spent more money on than I've ever spent on dogs! And the list above doesn't take into account how if you become a GSD fanatic you may want breed specific t-shirts and mugs and car stickers. ;)

·
Registered
2,388 Posts
I spent every bit of $20,000 in the 5 years I had Newlie and that did not include food, treats, toys, training lessons or swimming in a local pool, etc. It did include the cost of two surgeries (repair of an ACL tear and removing a mass from his leg), compensating a neighbor for half the cost of treatment after Newlie and their dog got into an altercation under my chain link fence, putting up a privacy fence so no more altercations could occur, routine medical care and heartworm/flea and tick treatments.

The amount is staggering to me, but figures don't lie. You pay out some money here and some money there and it is different than being asked to fork over that much money in one lump some. I don't regret it, I loved my boy, but despite the fact I love Rocky, too, I can't do it again. I am nearing retirement age. I need to make a priority of getting a pet insurance policy while Rocky is young and healthy. I would advise you to do so as well when you get your puppy.

·
Registered
7,744 Posts
That can vary most of the money is on fun things my dogs are young so most of the money would be on preventative care. I do have pet insurance just in case which is helpful. Max is very active just had a wound on his toe which cost $400 to stitch up so that was in additional this year.

·
Registered
857 Posts
I did a quick estimate after my 1st GSD passed and before I got the current pup. I probably spent in the ballpark of $30,000 (probably more) in the almost 12 years of his life. Vet visits, vaccinations, medications for things like skin infections, regular medications like flea/tick and heartworm, medications for a lifetime disease (EPI), toys, treats, collars, leashes, clothing (a jacket for late years, rain jacket to cover that sponge they call his coat, booties), hundreds of antlers, gas for the car (to drive him everywhere like hiking, beach, etc.), obedience classes, grooming (in the early years), replacement tv remote controls, carpet cleaning, etc. etc. etc. I'm not even counting the car I bought that would fit him better.

·
Registered
512 Posts
Most of the money I've spent on my pup has been for fun things - trials, training, and practice (pool rentals, barnhunt, protection work). I've spent $120 alone on 2 FastCAT trials in September. Then I have membership dues for our dog academy where I train - that's not cheap ($100/mth. We're looking at alternatives at the moment.). I try to limit myself to $200 for training/practice. I love spending time and doing things with my girl.

I get a 40lb bag of Victor dog food for about $50-60 and it usually lasts 2-ish months since her morning meals are sometimes replaced with Redbarn or something similar for our training sessions (2 4lb rolls of Redbarn ~$20 on Amazon). I get raw frozen marrow bones from the commissary (we're military) 3 for $2-$3. I'll usually stock pile these in our extra freezer. We have the Seresto collar for 8 months flea and tick prevention ($55). I also paid for a 6 month supply of Advantix II for when we do Barnhunt and FastCAT (dogs run naked). I got that on sale for $46. I have a bad habit of buying collars, leashes, and toys for my pups too. I can't put a price on that, but I'd imagine it's quite a bit :grin2:.

If I had to total the vet visits for her so far, it'd probably be $1500-2k. She hurt a ligament in her hock a few months back which cost me a pretty penny, then the puppy vaccinations aren't cheap. My other dog has a pay plan through Banfield (so something like that might be worth considering if you are able to visit the vet after hours/emergency. Banfield does not do this so I chose to avoid them this time)

·
Registered
2,184 Posts
Last year, over 10k on vet bills for Gracie. She had to have surgery to repair a fractured femur and have an open wound (from a dog bite) treated. This year she had to have surgery to remove a benign cyst that ruptured and wouldn't heal on her side. That cost $900. Plus her rabies vax, nexgard, heartgard, routine appointment. So we're at about 1100 so far this year. Just in vet bills. That doesn't count the food that costs $70 per bag. Treats, toys, etc. Dogs are expensive!

·
Registered
242 Posts
These figures look horrendous! I guess we've been lucky so far. My dog has insurance and thats about £50 a month (we live in the UK).
Policy excess is £90. We used it twice so far, first when my dog chewed on a light bulb at the age of 11 months and had to have a massive surgery to remove it. Second, he was tested for EPI and some other food intolerancies..annual shots aren't expensive, cant remember the exact figure tho..
Food, my dog is fed with high quality food and again its about £60-70 a month. We've been through one long line, short leather lead is the same we bought the first. Collar is the same since he was a puppy (surprise, his neck never outgrew the first puppy collar).
Medication (anti-flea, anti-worm etc), good quality spot on treatment marketed under Advocate brand here is £20 a month. Thats it!
If we had to pay some ££££ mentined here we wouldnt be able to afford the dog :(
I'd say try to get the best insurance for your dog, and you save lots!

·
Super Moderator
7,952 Posts
For a less scary response, keeping in mind that my boys are well established at 11 & 5, so most of my expenses fall into the “basics” category... I spend about $1000/ea/yr.

Baring no extereme veterinary or training needs, the first and last year are the most expensive - especially if you’re starting from scratch. Spend money on good equipment and supplies and it can last thru a few dogs.

·
Registered
2,184 Posts
FWIW, my first gsd Mayzie who I got as a puppy had very minimal vet expenses for her entire life. Her most expensive vet appointment in the 11 years I had her was the $900 e-vet bill the day she collapsed and had to be PTS due to hemangiosarcoma. Otherwise it was mostly all just routine care.

My other dog Bruno, I have had for 3.5 years now and he has only had a few non-routine vet visits for an itchy nose.

When I bought Mayzie as a puppy I started putting $50/month into a vet expenses account instead of insurance and didn't have to use much of it during her lifetime. So that's where most of the money for Gracie's bills came from.

But then my brother's GSD has had two ACL repair surgeries, and then another surgery to remove an infected plate, and multiple dermatology issues including another surgery to repair a skin lesion... he has spent far more than me on vet bills!

It can vary so widely! With Gracie it was sort of a freak accident. With my brother's dog, I'd say poor breeding (he is a very backyard breeder, giant oversized but very sweet dog).

Insurance might be a good idea. If I didn't have the money for Gracie, we would have probably had her leg amputated :( with my brother, if he couldn't pay for the surgeries, he would have to PTS.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Basic costs:
Medical plan + regular heart worm/flee prevention: about $500/year
Food + treats: about $1000 / year
Boarding/day camp/bath&grooming: $500/year
At least $1,900 / year.

·
Registered
311 Posts
I honestly don't spend much. I spend $200 on food for 2 dogs. Both are over 100lbs. I was spending more, but they were younger and eating higher protein sled dog food from victor. They're now on Purina Pro Plan Sport. This is the only Purina food I would be comfortable feeding any dog. I spend another $200 for them a month on flea and tick medication. They also go petsmart once a week to get treats or a new toy but they're relatively inexpensive to take care compared to most here. So I'd say maybe $300 per dog a month, and that's on the high end. Other than shots and checkups my GSD has only been to the vet once. He managed to get a fishing lure stuck in his gums and had to have minor surgery to remove it. My other dog hasn't been to the vet for an emergency ever. I'm lucky enough to be self employed so my dogs are with me near 24/7. Really cuts down on the possibility for injury.

Edit: I saw someone else mention raw feeding. I had tried this with my dogs but was far too costly for me. It was around $10 daily per dog. So nearly $600 a month. If I had one dog it might be manageable but given their size and activity levels, it was tough to manage.

·
Registered
1,086 Posts
Rough costs for North Carolina, USA...

SETUP:
Fencing our backyard (6' wooden fence): $2000 (gulp)
Rumo's rescue adoption fee: $180 (oddly, he cost a lot less than his fence)
Crate: $100
Memory Foam Orthopedic Dog Bed :) : $50
Martingale Collar & Leash: $35
2 Bowls, stainless steel: $24
Furminator (Amazon): $40

MONTHLY:
$70 food
$30 chewies & toys
$5 Heartgard (heartworm prevention)
$20 Nexgard (flea/tick prevention)

ANNUAL:
$120 Vet Visit (assuming healthy)
$14 Registration / License

VARIABLE:
Boarding: for us, 2- 3 weeks per year @$37/day: $518 - $777
Basic Obedience Class (K9 Manners): $180 for 6 weeks
Trainer/Behaviorist/Ongoing Classes: {varies?}
Vet Visits if in Trouble: {varies?} **look into pet insurance / vet's payment plans
Grooming/Nail Trims: {varies, depending on if you do it yourself?}

DOGGY LOVE, COMPANIONSHIP & FUN:
Priceless :)

·
Registered
311 Posts
Rough costs for North Carolina, USA...

SETUP:
Fencing our backyard (6' wooden fence): $2000 (gulp)
Rumo's rescue adoption fee: $180 (oddly, he cost a lot less than his fence)
Crate: $100
Memory Foam Orthopedic Dog Bed :) : $50
Martingale Collar & Leash: $35
2 Bowls, stainless steel: $24
Furminator (Amazon): $40

MONTHLY:
$70 food
$30 chewies & toys
$5 Heartgard (heartworm prevention)
$20 Nexgard (flea/tick prevention)

ANNUAL:
$120 Vet Visit (assuming healthy)
$14 Registration / License

VARIABLE:
Boarding: for us, 2- 3 weeks per year @$37/day: $518 - $777
Basic Obedience Class (K9 Manners): $180 for 6 weeks
Trainer/Behaviorist/Ongoing Classes: {varies?}
Vet Visits if in Trouble: {varies?} **look into pet insurance / vet's payment plans
Grooming/Nail Trims: {varies, depending on if you do it yourself?}

DOGGY LOVE, COMPANIONSHIP & FUN:
Priceless :)

You must live in one of the rural areas of NC. I live in Suburban **** in Central NC aaah. Where are you from?

·
Registered
6,768 Posts
Well, her food is about $60 a month, but I have to drive across the city to get it. I put $50 a month away for vet bills, and have a credit card just for her since vet bills seem to please her. I spend another $30 on treats and stuff, about $60 a month on supplements that are necessary. I have spent tons on stuff that doesn't work for her, so basically throwing money in the trash. A dog license here is about $100 a year, and her dewormer is about $100.

Without any extra bills she costs me about $3500 a year.

Because she is my darling genetic nightmare on average I have spent $8000/yr for each of the last 8 years.

But hey, she was free! Lol.

·
Registered
388 Posts
Food £500 pa
Insurance £365 pa
Collar and leads £75 pa
Flea and wormer £20 pa
Training £ free
Walking £ free

1 - 20 of 64 Posts