German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
137 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
For an 11 year old neighbor kid to let your dog out once a day during the week after school?

We don't have a puppy yet, but we're considering proposing this idea to one of our neighbors as one of our potty training solutions for our 8 hour workdays.

TIA for any thoughts!

·
Registered
213 Posts
Maybe 10 or 15 dollars a week? But would he/she be walking the puppy a bit? Or just a quick in and out procedure.

·
Registered
618 Posts
I would never trust anybody with my dog. Your putting alot of trust in them I would make sure you think that one all the way through. I always think the worst case scenario. The kid going through your stuff, taking the puppy down the street to his friends house and feeding him twinkies, forgetting to lock the door behind him or leaving it open and the pup getting out. Then again I'm no social butterfly, I've lived in this house 10 years and just started talking to the neighbors so......you can take this as just some crazy antisocial weirdo's rant.

·
Registered
137 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Okay, I was thinking about $15 too. Yes, I would ask the parent to be present...

And Baron, while I appreciate your concern (and your final comment made my chuckle)
I honestly do think it is a little paranoid, but it sounds like you might think that way too. My neighbor (the father) also happens to be my co-worker, so I trust this family.

And I was a kid once, I pet-sat all the time. I was incredibly responsible... of course I realize not all kids are, but you have to understand that for every problem child, there are some great kids out there too.

·
Registered
24,301 Posts
I am with baron
but as long as strict parameters are set up (as well as a nanny cam
) I MIGHT be able to loosen my OCD enough to let something like that happen for the potty solution. With an adult to supervise.

Things like dog is only going in fenced yard on leash, no field trips, only treats from the treat jar (and number allowed/session), no visitors, no corrections, vet phone number and my cell phone number memorized by the child (complete with incentives for doing so) and I am not sure how I would not run home to check that the crate door was secure and my doors were locked. I guess the adult could do that.

Yes, I am also a good time gal.

·
Registered
5,162 Posts
Originally Posted By: JeanKBBMMMAANI am with baron
but as long as strict parameters are set up (as well as a nanny cam
) I MIGHT be able to loosen my OCD enough to let something like that happen for the potty solution. With an adult to supervise.

Things like dog is only going in fenced yard on leash, no field trips, only treats from the treat jar (and number allowed/session), no visitors, no corrections, vet phone number and my cell phone number memorized by the child (complete with incentives for doing so) and I am not sure how I would not run home to check that the crate door was secure and my doors were locked. I guess the adult could do that.

Yes, I am also a good time gal.

That is so me, Jean, except I would come home at the same time the neighbor was over, to make sure all of this was being done correctly,
which would defeat the purpose.

·
Registered
24,301 Posts
Oh! YES!

And wouldn't you have spies also-like people to test that things were being done as requested. Like some little old lady (with a hat cam) to say "Honey, I had a pup like that when I was young, can you bring them here outside the fence so I can see him...one last time..." You know. Totally normal stuff like that.

But you WANT people like us to take care of your kids and family members-just remember that!

·
Registered
137 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I hope it's quite obvious that I would OF COURSE love to come home during lunch, but that's simply impossible for both my husband and I. If you have any other suggestions other than a neighbor to help, I certainly welcome them.

I also try to keep in mind that millions of people are successful in raising well behaved puppies/dogs while also working full time. If they can do it, so can we.

·
Registered
1,452 Posts
I would never leave my dogs with inexperienced handlers at all. Only bonded and experienced or at a kennel. I've seen/heard of too much "left the gate open or got off the lease." So I have to stay home alot???? You bet!!

·
Registered
213 Posts
I think if you trust the family and set up the rules exactly how it should go then it should work out great! I'd rather have a trusted neighbor let my pet out to go the bathroom then some random stranger claiming to be a pet walker!

·
Registered
27,244 Posts
If this begins when the pup is young, it should work. BUT when pup is 6 mos and older, strength is something I would think about, GSD's are very strong and it would be hard for a child to handle when pup gets excited, and pulls on the leash to go out. By 6 mos, though a pup should be able to handle crating a bit longer, hopefully.

·
Registered
315 Posts
Originally Posted By: JeanKBBMMMAAN And wouldn't you have spies also-like people to test that things were being done as requested. Like some little old lady (with a hat cam) to say "Honey, I had a pup like that when I was young, can you bring them here outside the fence so I can see him...one last time..." You know. Totally normal stuff like that.
Yes totally normal things like that!

Just make sure you record the activity from the hat cam so you have proof later

I would just caution giving an 11 year old the responsibility. I know when Lily was a pup and came out of her crate (even if only in there 15 minutes) - it was like a cat 5 hurricane and a tasmanian devil all wrapped in one. It was hard enough ignoring her while she calmed down let alone evading those needle little puppy teeth.

·
Registered
137 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
So once again, for those who are so against the idea.... what would you suggest??

We simply cannot come home during the day, it's not a possibility. I will take the first week the pup's home off with vacation days.

I know we aren't alone here. For the majority of American couples, both people work 8-9 hours. So what exactly did everyone else do during these vulnerable puppy times?

·
Registered
16,649 Posts
When I had foster puppies I had my adult neighbors (who worked a different shift) come in and let the puppies out. They let them out into my fenced yard and put them back in their crate. I let their dog out for them several times a week too. When I had a foster puppy that was super high energy I took him to doggie day care a couple of times a week.

If you know your neighbors well and trust them then I think this is a great solution. If their child is a dog lover then they will love it. And it will give your pup some extra socialization too. Of course they will have to deal with the alligator stage but you can just get them involved with simple training (like always giving the pup a toy when they come out of the crate) too.

This is the way things were done before there were pet sitters or doggie daycares and I think it can work just fine if you give careful instructions.

·
Registered
66 Posts
When our dog was a puppy, I would take her to doggy day care twice a week. One day there would wear her out for a couple of days. It takes a little bit of the pressure off having to exercise them every day when you're coming home tired from work.

However, if I had had an 11-year-old neighbor who would have been willing to come over and let her out in our backyard and play with her for a while, I would have done it. $20 a week sounds right to me. Of course, you'll have to take into account your puppy's temperament. Mine was really wild and high-energy. I wouldn't have allowed a child to try to walk her, but playing in the backyard would have been okay. Also take into account the maturity level of the child.

I was an absolute dog nut when I was a kid. I would have loved the opportunity to dog-sit. If your neighbor is a dog-lover, I would certainly take the time to educate him/her about how to properly care for the puppy. Heck, I had all my dogs trained in obedience as well as tricks. You might end up with a trained pup all for $20 a week. And your neighbor gets a fuzzy playmate who will adore him. What a deal!

·
Registered
128 Posts
I'm a big ol' nobody here....., but I was also going to suggest maybe if your vet is not far to see if any of their staff that you know and are comfortable with do anything like this on the side.

If the child is one you trust and your rules and regulations are set with full agreement from their parents, I'd say if it's what you feel comfortable with than go for it. If it were me, I would probably do several trial runs with the kid and their parents there with you and your pup to see if all looks well and all the kinks get worked out ahead of time. I know, it's just me. I don't have my GSD yet but I do have a 2 yr old son and a 12 yr old neighbor who has been dying to let me have her babysit...this was my method. I let her do it once even though I was totally paranoid but it all worked out fine in the end. It's your comfort zone. Get a feel for it first while they're all wiht you and go from there.

·
Registered
339 Posts
We have a 11 year old daughter and a 13 year old daughter and an almost 6 month old working line pup. The 11 year old is our pups primary trainer and she plans to compete with him. She has already attended a puppy class and a beginning class just for socialization and also goes the the schutzhund field and the breeders house once a week for training. She is very responsible and great with dogs but now that he is getting older and stronger I don't let her take him out on a leash by herself. She has a pair of leather gloves she wears when playing ball with him! She is a small 11 year old and I'm sure his weight will pass hers in the near future! A 11 year old can be responsible enough but I would never let him take your dog out of a fenced yard! The other day my 11 year old was holding his leash and my 13 year old threw his tug and Radar took off after it and my 11 year old was actually airborn and skinned a knee!
This is her with him at about 2 months old

This is her with our pup's grandpa that she learned to track with and do obedience with when she was waiting for her puppy to be born. Our pups breeder owns him but my daughter loves him and he is the reason she wanted a pup!

Even with all of her training experience I probably would not let her do what you are thinking of having the neighbor do unless I was going to be home to supervise. Not because of trust issues but just because of first how sharp their puppy teeth are and second how strong they quickly become.

Good luck!

·
Registered
4,520 Posts
Okay, I was thinking about $15 too. Yes, I would ask the parent to be present...

But aren't the parent working during the week, too?

And honestly as a parent, I'd have better things to do then going with my kid to letting my neighbors dog out every day. My daughter is 12, but I would not allow her to do a job like this. There is way too much that can go wrong.
Hire a PROFESSIONAL PETSITTER- that's what they're for! Although you're prob. more likely to pay $15.- per DAY, but having peace of mind is priceless. JMO.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts