German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Banned
8,988 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
If you would import a preggo bitch from Germany. With all the costs involved, how much would you charge for a puppy.

I estimated the costs 3000 is almost not enough to cover the costs. However, I personally would feel uncomfortable to charge that much money. On the other hand I'd almost say why not? If both dogs are well bread and the demand is there, why not? There are so many breeders out there that have poorly bred dogs and charge almost double, so why shouldn't I, as a responsible breeder, who brings in a well bred dog from Germany charge 3500 Dollar for a puppy?

That way I have a little money left over that would go into gas money and literally pay for the trip to one of the shows. Because you bet that I'd proudly show my working line bitch.

So how much would you charge?
Profit or no profit?

·
Super Moderator
16,483 Posts
If you are talking workinglines I don't know who would pay that much for a
puppy...even with excellent breeding.....maybe it if was older and had foundation training......I think Green dogs go for $4000 to $5000 hips and x-rays cleared and puppies are such a gamble.

There is no finanancial incentive I think unless you are into showlines. I am not saying such a puppy is not "worth it" but I am not sure the market would support it.

·
Registered
4,119 Posts
She's talking about a bitch who is pregnant--so she's talking about the bitch, plus all the puppies in her belly. :)

·
Super Moderator
16,483 Posts
, so why shouldn't I, as a responsible breeder, who brings in a well bred dog from Germany charge 3500 Dollar for a puppy?
I think she is talking about a puppy and not the pregnant female......That is what I based my response on...........

·
Super Moderator
21,368 Posts
not a breeder here, but it would depend on the bitch/ breeding pair.

·
Registered
4,119 Posts
I think she is talking about a puppy and not the pregnant female......That is what I based my response on...........
Woah! I haven't had my coffee yet :)

That is way too much for a puppy! Yeah, no one I don't think would pay that price for a WL puppy (showline people seem to be suckers).

Considering you can import your OWN puppy for the same price as buying a puppy here....

·
Premium Member
11,219 Posts
???? US$ 3000 for a titled koered WL bred female transported and in my hands???? WHERE ???????? Shipping and customs broker is probably $1000....the female and breeding $3500-5000 for an average female!

Saying you breed to a highly sought after dog like Javir or Bomber - those two seem to be the flavor of the month ***here*** - and you are a relative unknown ***here*** - you could get $1800-2000 per pup - if you get 5 pups sold at $2000, you have a "profit" on direct cost of say -$5000 ....that does not include vet costs, feeding mom and pups, whelping supplies etc....and assumes she actually whelps the litter without major veterinary intervention!!! Best case scenerio.....worst case - go see Selzer's most recent tragedy....alternative worst case - female is in hands, does not whelp litter, is rebred a few times and NEVER whelps a litter! She was a bargin because someone KNEW she had reproduction problems! For every good female who gives you that nice healthly litter after importing, there are 2 or 3 who are the last scenerio!

Lee

·
Banned
8,988 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I know about all the risks that are involved, Wolfstraum. I don't have to read Selzers topic for that.

By the way, this is a hypothetical scenario. We don't know if this is going to happen yet. There is a lot of things that need to be factored. It will need a lot of planning from my end.

However, I might get a SchH1 and a SchH3 bitch from pretty good west-german working lines. Working lines I, personally consider good. The SchH3 bitch has everything I am looking for. There is NOTHING wrong with those bitches. Now that being said, I already know which dog would be mated with the SchH1 bitch and I am not going with something that is popular just because it's popular and would sell. I am going with what I and the breeder feel comfortable with, even if the dog is not all that known in the US. That's one thing I learned from my father.
She would not get over here until the pregnancy wasn't confirmed.

As for the SchH3 bitch. Now it would take a while until I'd get her. Like I said, there is no need to rush into things and as of now it's hypothetical.

·
Banned
8,988 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
There are well bred dogs in the United States-Canada too-
well yes, but to get a SchH3 dog in the US I'd probably have to sell our car and still not have the money to pay for the dog. Plus, I'd have to go outside NY State because NY State is very limited in well bred, titled dogs.

·
Premium Member
11,219 Posts
I know about all the risks that are involved, Wolfstraum. I don't have to read Selzers topic for that.

By the way, this is a hypothetical scenario. We don't know if this is going to happen yet. There is a lot of things that need to be factored. It will need a lot of planning from my end.

However, I might get a SchH1 and a SchH3 bitch from pretty good west-german working lines. Working lines I, personally consider good. The SchH3 bitch has everything I am looking for. There is NOTHING wrong with those bitches. Now that being said, I already know which dog would be mated with the SchH1 bitch and I am not going with something that is popular just because it's popular and would sell. I am going with what I and the breeder feel comfortable with, even if the dog is not all that known in the US. That's one thing I learned from my father.
She would not get over here until the pregnancy wasn't confirmed.

As for the SchH3 bitch. Now it would take a while until I'd get her. Like I said, there is no need to rush into things and as of now it's hypothetical.
Did not mean to offend you Mrs. K - but so many newbies and wannabe breeders will read these threads, and the comments are just as much for other readers as for you personally....always always that is how I base my answers!!! If someone comes on here and says - wow I can get a bred female for 3K???? I am gonna do it! without any thought to the complications and consequences....for you ***personally*** - I am sure you having your connections will cut out the broker and alot of the risk!!!

Lee

·
Registered
6,505 Posts
I wouldn't pay that much for a puppy. Might if the dog was young, xrayed and excellent capabilities present.

If the pups come out a popular color and you do great marketing, there might be few who would go for it. But, I would think not many experienced people would.

·
Super Moderator
18,686 Posts
The way I read your question is that you would like to import a working line female and charge $3K for her puppies so I will answer based on that.

You can charge what ever you want. The bigger question is, can you get $3K for the puppies? Because that will depend on the buyers I will answer you question from the perspective of a buyer.

When I look at a litter the first thing I will do is look at the dogs themselves, how they are bred, their production records, the production records of their parents, siblings, etc. The fact that I would not get to see the mother work would mean that she darn well better be an exceptional producer. For me, personally, I also expect her dam to be a producer, and her dam and also the male she is bred to better be proven and come from a good family.

Next thing I will look at is the breeder. What has this breeder done in the world of GSD? To justify a price 50 - 75% higher than other breeders they better be well established in the working dog world. They, not their farther or brother or uncle or ??, better have been out there working and/or titling dogs and then proven they themselves can produce good dogs that are in demand.

·
Registered
5,725 Posts
There are well breed titled dogs in New York state-How long have you been here to make comments like that and what are you basing your comments on???

·
Registered
16,649 Posts
Why would you even consider importing another dog before you train/title the ones you have now? Isn't that how you prove yourself as a working-line breeder--to have H.O.T. dogs?

Didn't you just euthanize one of the dogs that came from your parents kennel because she attacked your other dogs? What if the new dog(s) didn't get along with the dogs you have now?

·
Banned
8,988 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
First, I am not feeling comfortable to charge that much money for a pup. Like I always used to say, you get them cheaper in Germany.

However, I am surprised at your responses because from what I've seen in my research is that most breeders charge somewhere in between 2500-4000 Dollars. Some Petlines are more expensive and most of the sites I came across show no certifications whatsoever, at most OFA and they charge more.

I'd rather go to a small breeder who has quality dogs instead of a big breeder who is always in the top ten of the world and pumps out pup after pup. I always prefer small quality working line breeders over the big names.

Why? Because those are the breeders you get the most support from. I know where to go to get the dogs I am looking for and I most certainly will never be big in the Schutzhund szene, IF I will ever compete in the Schutzhund szene. My heart is with the SAR and that is the route I am going.

If I would get that kind of money, I don't know. I don't know if I will even charge that kind of money. I don't even know if I will get those two bitches. It all depends on thorough planning.

·
Banned
5,124 Posts
I've been in the GSD world for like 5 months now, but here's my opinion:

First of, I'm an accountant and all of my decisions are just as thought out and planned as you are making yours. Everything is on a cost/benefit analysis. My question is how many pups are you planning on having? Its like I've read on this board, the unplanned litters have 10, the planned ones with great parents have 3.

I also believe that the people that will spend $3000 on a dog are the kind that expect to bring it home and have it potty trained, sit, stay, lie down, and even take down the intruder that comes in 2 days later. Those cutomers might not be looking to train a puppy.

But, I would buy your pup for $3000, if you can prove that its 6 times better than the one I currently have. Or even twice as good as what the going rate for a pup usually is. You have to think that for these pups to be bought, someone has to think that telling others their dog is imported from Germany is worth the extra $1500 (and I have met people like that so you might find them too). I'm going to go with what everyone has said earlier, I'd pay that much for a guaranteed dog, but at 8 weeks, who knows what you're going to get.

P.S. if you do decide to do this, give me a call, I'd be interested in discussing a possible pup. Especially if you're talking DDR.

1 - 20 of 34 Posts