German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi,

I'm currently giving my dog about 1000mg Ester C and 400IU Vitamin E (he gets about 300IU Vitamin E daily from his food also, so that is a total of about 700IU Vit E daily).

Since he is showing early signs of DM, I know that Vitamin E and Ester C can be very beneficial. What are considered safe maximums to give for Vitamin E & Ester C. What amounts have you been using with good results?

Thanks for the advice,
Shelli

·
Registered
32,553 Posts
Are you giving fish oil? I've heard 400 iu for Vit E max and I know of one person that gives 800 iu daily. Don't go any higher. It is possible to have to much Vit E.

Vit C is water soluble so whatever he doesn't use, he will just pee out. I would give at least 2000 mg. Split it up morning and night so he gest the maximum benefit.

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yes, I'm giving a fish oil capsule daily, 1000mg. He is also eating Orijen 6 fish.

I've read on Dr. Clemmons website about DM and he recommends dosage up to 2000IU for Vitamin E..... at this stage, I'll start off with the smaller dosage and take it from there.

·
Registered
32,553 Posts
Wow! Thanks for that info! If he says to increase it to 2000 iu then I would feel comfortable doing so.

·
Registered
897 Posts
I'm giving Joey 400iu Vitamin E, 1000mg fish oil, and 500mg Ester C time release.

Is it ok to give him all the pills at the same time, or should they be spaced out through the day?

·
Registered
27,294 Posts
I give my dogs all their supplements at the same time. But I add in extra C in their pm meal....
My dogs are rawfed and this is their supplement list/amount:
E(400iu), Bcomplex and D rotated every few days

EsterC 2000mg daily(split between meals) for one dog with allergies. The others get just 1000mg. (C is an antihistamine, so I up the dosage for my allergy girl.)

Salmon oil 2000mg daily or coconut oil tablespoon daily

For pups under 10 months, EsterC contains calcium(55mg) so a citrus bioflavonoid or natural C with Rosehips is recommended ~~NOT EsterC
C can be hard on the gut during introduction or increase, so splitting it between meals is best.
And if you give aspirin, do not give C as it keeps the aspirin from absorbing(building up in the system instead) This link has the info> Vitamin C (Ascorbic acid): MedlinePlus Supplements

·
Registered
10,132 Posts
On the fish oil, check to see how much EPA+DHA it has. Companies like to sell 1000mg or 1200mg of fish oil, but that means nothing. What matters is the EPA+DHA. Try to get a minimum of 1000mg of EPA+DHA per day.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts