German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
306 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok, Diego is 10 weeks old & is 21 lbs.
I have been feeding him Royal Canin 32 Large Breed puppy food.
I have been giving him 1 cup (8oz) 3 times daily.
I started reading the somewhat confusing feeding guidelines & it says to feed 8 cups per day.

Any input would be appreciated on this topic.

Booey

·
Banned
15,195 Posts
feeding is tough. what did your breeder feed and how much? we never used puppy food. our breeder didn't and she thinks they don't need all of the stuff in the puppy food. our boy is 10 months old now. we brought him home at 9 weeks and we fed him a cup and a half in the morning and a cup and a half in the evening. he weighs 90 lbs as of now and 24 inches at the shoulders. we do give them snacks in between feedings. when i say them, we have a Grey Hound also. we also lace their food with chicken, ground beef or pork and grains and vegetables, what ever is good for them. our boy was 17 lbs. when we got him at 9 weeks old. your dog is going to be a big one. good luck.

·
Registered
561 Posts
according to his age he should be on maxi babydog 30.
no data for 10 weeks old at 21 lbs,on the chart.
8 cups per day is for a dog that is 88 lbs at 5 months old.i would not give him that much food.
feed him 3 cups/day.then check the chart on the bag,look at his age and weight,it will tell you what to feed.

·
Registered
3,155 Posts
the chart on the bag is just a starting point. the idea is to start in that range and judge from there. every dog is different so if your dog is not losing weight, and not getting fat then you are feeding a good amount. if they are getting too skinny- you up the amount a little, and if they are starting to get chubby, you knock off a little.

·
Registered
742 Posts
When Juli was 8 weeks I was feeding her 1 1/3 cup twice a day. She was 18 lbs at that time. It seemed like she could eat more so after about a week I increased her food to 1 1/2 cups twice a day. At 10 1/2 weeks she was 22 lbs, Her body fat seemed correct, could feel her ribs but not see them. We also feed Royal Canin Large breed puppy 32.

Glenn

1 - 5 of 5 Posts