German Shepherds Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
3,467 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Shasta is on an antibiotic for staph infection and it's given her the runs. Stools could be looser, I suppose, but not much. And this is *with* probiotics.

So I'm going to be feeding her boiled chicken and rice but I'm not sure how much to feed. She's 5 months old and weighs almost 50 pounds. She's been eating about 4 to 4-1/2 cups of BB LBP per day.

What's a good starting point?

·
Registered
1,662 Posts
I know in the past when my dog had diarrhea, I would feed her ground beef and rice (she is allergic to chicken) and I would start feeding her about 1 cup the first 2 meals, and then I would up it by 1/2 a cup for each feeding thereafter until I was feeding her the normal amount. I kept her on that for about 2 days and then slowly incorporated her kibble back into her diet. I would feed her more kibble with each meal and if her stools were more normal each time, I would keep uping the amount until she was back on her full kibble amount.

·
Registered
9,602 Posts
What she said...I've also used ground beef and rice, Stosh prefers it to chicken. When I started adding the dry food in I put 1/2 c, then increased it over the next few days. You certainly have been having a time with her!!

·
Registered
3,102 Posts
I would over cook the rice and rinse the ground beef or chicken....you could also add a spoonful of pure canned pumpkin...and if it's possible feed her a few small meals a day so she can have an easier time digesting.

·
Registered
3,467 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Since the diarrhea is caused by the antibiotics, I'll probably be keeping her on the bland diet until the medication is all gone so y'all are saying I need to be feeding her 4 to 4-1/2 cups of chicken/rice a day? God help my budget, that's a lot of chicken.

·
Registered
9,602 Posts
My vet suggests feeding 2/3 rice to 1/3 meat and I use brown rice for some extra fiber and minerals. So the first day just give her 1 c of the rice/meat mixture for each meal the first day then increase it by 1/2 c the next few days and then start adding in the dry. You may not have to keep her on it the entire time she's on the antibiotic, maybe 3-4 days until her stomach settles down. I know, these puppies should come home with their own gold card! My husband says that the breeder should be paying us to take these dogs off their hands, they can cost so much the first year.

·
Registered
3,102 Posts
You can buy chicken quarters or a fryer cut up and boil it, much cheaper..I would take Stosh's suggestion and do a cup of the mixture with every meal. 2/3 over cooked rice and 1/3 chicken or ground beef.
Good Luck!!!

·
Registered
3,472 Posts
When Molly had 'issues' my vet suggested small meals often instead of her usual 2 a day.

·
Registered
397 Posts
Day 1- Am feeding 3/4 brown rice 3/4 C chicken
afternoon same thing
pm Same thing

Day 2- same as Day 1

Day 3- AM 1/2 c brown Rice 1/2 cup chicken 1/2 cup kibble
same from afternoon and Pm

Day 4- Same as day 3

Day 5- 1/4 C brown rice 1/4 chicken 1 cup kibble
same for afternoon and pm

Day 6 same as day 5

Day 7 all kibble

if on any of the days you noitce loose stool again go back to the previous day. You can also add in one heaping table spoon of pumpkin to each meal. This is what I Have been doing for almost 2 weeks and its been a god send.

·
Registered
3,467 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Day 1- Am feeding 3/4 brown rice 3/4 C chicken
afternoon same thing
pm Same thing

Day 2- same as Day 1

Day 3- AM 1/2 c brown Rice 1/2 cup chicken 1/2 cup kibble
same from afternoon and Pm

Day 4- Same as day 3

Day 5- 1/4 C brown rice 1/4 chicken 1 cup kibble
same for afternoon and pm

Day 6 same as day 5

Day 7 all kibble

if on any of the days you noitce loose stool again go back to the previous day. You can also add in one heaping table spoon of pumpkin to each meal. This is what I Have been doing for almost 2 weeks and its been a god send.
Thanks, I appreciate you taking the time to spell it out for me. I never expected a puppy with so many issues...My brain gets tired thinking about it all.

·
Registered
3,467 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
24 hours on chicken and rice and a change of antibiotic and we now have [drum roll please]...soft logs! This is such an improvement. I'm very happy it looks as though we're moving in the right direction. Thanks to everyone for your input.

·
Registered
3,467 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Haha, there's a lot of poop talk on this forum!!

1 - 13 of 13 Posts