German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Our Shepherd, Maya, came home from a three night stay at a kennel 9 days ago. Once home she immediately started squatting, straining, and releasing runny poop. We kept her on regular kibble that night, but saw the same the next day and moved her over to chicken and rice. A phone call to the vet seemed to think it may be stress related colitis from the boarding, so we decided to stay on track with the chicken and rice.

At best she is pooping once per day, but was down to every other day late last week. Things started to look a bit better, so I started to add kibble back in, but then things went back to runny. A "typical" day when poop looks normal, she is gong at least two times per day.

I'm giving her one boneless skinless breast and about 1-1.5 cups of rice per day. I'm a bit worried that I may not be feeding her enough. Can anyone else chime in on how much they tend to feed when dealing with this sort of problem? Her activity is fine, lots of play etc. and she is still drinking plenty of water.

·
Registered
3,325 Posts
Our dog has colitis too. Like your dog, her energy is good and she still has a very good appetite even when she has a flare up. I try to keep about the same volume of food that you would normally feed with kibble. We also feed 4 smaller meals throughout the day so to not put too much stress on the tummy with a lot of food with one serving.

For us, rice is OK for the short term, but it almost plugs our dog up too much. So we stick with simple to digest foods and may offer pasta alternately with rice. For protein we may offer boiled chicken, boiled ground beef, or cottage cheese. You may also want to see if your Vet has some easy to digest food in cans, a low residue diet.

Hope Maya gets back to normal soon.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Many thanks for the feedback. She goes to the Vet tomorrow, so we will be discussing this and hopefully come up with a plan.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts