German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hello, I read that a puppy needs no more than 5 minutes of exercise for each month of age. I imagine that walking at a slow pace is different than exercise but I'm wondering how much is too much walk.

I usually try to walk him 30 minutes once a day but today is the day he has walked the most, around 50 min at noon and 40 min at 7 pm.
He has been very calmed and very sleepy all day but I'm wondering if it's too much for him.

What do you consider is too much time walking for a puppy this age at a slow pace on flat ground per day?
What about if its split into 2 sessions?

Thanks for your opinion!

·
Registered
1,120 Posts
I honestly think the five minute rule is a bit crazy. That may work for some low energy German shepherds, but even still, that seems like far too little exercise for this breed. The puppy shouldn’t have any forced exercise, meaning you shouldn’t be dragging the dog along at your pace. Instead, let the puppy smell, wander around, go however slow or fast he/she wants, and stop if the puppy gets tired. Walking on concrete isn’t great for them (which is what I assume you meant by flat ground?). Your best bet would be to find a grassy park or field and put your puppy on a long line to play and walk.

·
Registered
316 Posts
I think you can do an hour of walking if not more. Walking is not very intensive for them. The main thing is watching out for them sitting down or acting tired. If they seem tired in those ways then do not push them. Heavy exercise from ball throwing and hills is where you really need to be careful in young ages.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts