German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Sheba is 4 months old. I've read that puppies can sleep 18 hours a day including sleeping through the night. Sheba sleeps through the night. Gets into her crate around 8:00. I get up at 2:30am and she's still sleeping. In the beginning I used to get her up when I got up but don't anymore. But I do get her up when I see she's sort of up at around 4:00 take her out and she's pretty responsive at this time with treat training. After an hour of letting her out, running around a bit and training she goes back into her crate.

My wife wakes up at 5:15 and let's her out of the crate at around 6:30 and Sheba helps get our kids up for school. Then around 8:30-9:00 my wife puts Sheba back into her crate and leaves for work at around 9:30.

Our older son gets home at 12:30 and let's her out of the crate until I get home at 3:00. We have come to notice signs when she's tired. She starts chewing things and 'doesn't know what to do with herself'. I notice this after about 10 minutes when I get home. She's glad to see me but can tell she's tired. I asked our son today if she sleeps not in her crate when he lets her out. He said mostly yes. Previously I would spend some time with her and put her into her crate at around 4:00.

(Today after about the 10 minutes I decided to put her into her crate. Hopefully she'll sleep until 5:00 which would a couple of hours.)

Then when around 5-5:30 I get her up take her out and feed her. My wife gets home at 5:30.

Then around 6:30 we either take her for a walk or take her to the dog park to run and play with other dogs for about a good hour. When we get home she's pretty much beat and ready for bed.

On the weekends the routine changes because everyone is home. The problem is there isn't much routine on the weekends.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
First question. Should our son that gets home at 12:30 get her out of the crate or keep her in there for a bit longer?

From doing some reading some say an hour out of the crate because like babies puppies need a lot of sleep and will and should sleep.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Update: it's been about 50 minutes since I put her into her crate. She just got up and gave a fuss she wanted to come out. Yawning a lot. Then she settles down and laysdown, still yawning and playing with her toys. Then gets up and fusses and yawns. She doesn't have to pee cause before I came up our son said she went to the bathroom. Seemed like she had a cat nap.

·
Super Moderator
6,285 Posts
Update: it's been about 50 minutes since I put her into her crate. She just got up and gave a fuss she wanted to come out. Yawning a lot. Then she settles down and laysdown, still yawning and playing with her toys. Then gets up and fusses and yawns. She doesn't have to pee cause before I came up our son said she went to the bathroom. Seemed like she had a cat nap.
Continual yawning expresses anxiety/stress/excitement depending on the particular situation.If she's not being destructive why not leave her out all afternoon?She could be close to her family and nap nearby on the floor.Plenty of rest is important but so is spending time with the family:)

1 - 4 of 4 Posts