German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys completely new here but wanted to see if I could get some insight as Ember is my first German Shepherd I've owned.

So I got Ember 4 months ago when she was 2 months from what the guy told me I got her from. She weighed about 5-8 lbs and was pretty small for a puppy. She's about 6 months old now she should be 7 months by the end of the month. I got her spayed about 2 weeks ago and she weighed in at about 38-39 lbs. She has been on the small end of the spectrum from what I've seen with some shepherds and I haven't excersised her lately due to being spayed but I feed her Nutro Max for Puppies Large Breed and give her about 3 cups of food a day for her weight. I actually do the even know if she said full bred I assume she is becuase that's what the guy told me and she does look it. I am wondering if she is ideal weight right now.

Here are some pics of her I've taken

This one is in the past week of her recovering after surgery

https://imgur.com/a/MvVTYDj

This is her before being spayed so about 3 weeks ago.

https://m.imgur.com/a/A7iGE16

·
Registered
2,638 Posts
There is NO WAY anyone can tell from a head shot of a dog if they are an ideal weight!

Please show us a pic of your dog taken from the side, at the dog's level (NOT from above).

Rule of thumb: you should be able to easily feel your dog's ribs, and see the outline of the last rib through their coat. The dog's outline should have a definite 'waist' when viewed from above.

·
Registered
31,764 Posts
Don't worry about how much a female shepherd should weigh. Just concentrate on her weight being appropriate for her body structure.

5-8# for an 8 week old GSD puppy is already half the weight they should be. If she's almost 40# at 6 months, she'll be a smaller female but I wouldn't be concerned.

·
Registered
1,762 Posts
Cute sock thief you have there but we need to see a picture of her shot from her eye level, broadside. Thanks.

·
Registered
1,417 Posts
I also thought the collar was for the recent spay. Seems like a good idea, so long as it doesn't fall apart! Can you imagine a GSD getting ahold of pool noodle? >:)

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Yea the pool noodles my friend gave me the idea to put them around her collar to act like a bumper becuase the E collar has made her very stressed out so I took that off of her. Ok so the pic I need is getting on her level and snapping it from her eye level? I'll have to do it in the morning.

·
Registered
38 Posts
She is super cute! I have nothing to add weight wise, I *think* she looks good, lighter is better than heavier. How does she feel? Can you feel her ribs, are they boney, like your knuckles when you make a fist or do they feel softer, like your knuckles when you extend your fingers? From what I've read and been told, knuckles extended are more what you are looking for. Just that little bit of substance over the ribs, not a layer of fat, not like a baseball glove.

·
Registered
856 Posts
I also thought the collar was for the recent spay. Seems like a good idea, so long as it doesn't fall apart! Can you imagine a GSD getting ahold of pool noodle? >:)

How about a bonafide pool noodle retriever?

While it is a touch random, have you considered talking to your vet about pituitary dwarfism? I don’t think that’s necessarily the case here, but that very small size at birth does make me wonder.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts