German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi, i have a male gsd puppy (5mo), his weight currently about 28lbs, and i feed him 450gr of dryfood and minced cooked chicken everyday ( i mixed it ). Is that the right amount of food for puppy at his age? I’ll put some of his pic

·
Registered
743 Posts

·
Registered
743 Posts
Other than actually looking at my dog's body composition, I find these links (whichever one) to be very helpful for those who fuss over how much their dog should be eating

·
Registered
174 Posts
I think most experienced German Shepard owners like to look down at their dog from above and from the side when the dog is standing. They then look at its chest to waist ratio. The dog should have a distinct waist while not looking emaciated. To be honest, with my pup's long winter coat it is hard to see the waist. But I can feel it.

Other's feel the dog's ribs, I believe you should be able to distinctly feel the individual rib but they should not be overly pronounced.

·
Registered
302 Posts
What brand of dry dog food are you feeding him? We would need to know the calories as well as the weight of the food to know for sure. We free feed our puppies meaning a full bowl of food all day long. To me, your dog looks like a healthy weight so I wouldn't worry too much about the amount of food he is getting.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts