German Shepherds Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 98 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello everyone! :) My name is, Megan. My fiance and I bought a German Shepherd puppy named Snickers. She is now One year and 6 months old. She is registered with the AKC and is Black and tan. We recently decided to breed her to my cousin's dog named Jeger. Jeger, is a highly trained police dog and my cousin is a police officer. Jeger is solid Black and 4 years old. He and my cousin are still currently working together on the police department. The police department purchased Jeger from Hungary from a well known breeder for 12,000 dollars and they gave ownership to my cousin. Jeger is also double registered with the AKC and the Magyarorszagi Nemet Juhaszkutya Klub in Hungary. We also have four generation pedigrees for both Snickers and Jeger. None of us have ever bred German Shepherds and have no idea how much to charge for the puppies! :( Given the information above, can anyone tell us how much they think we should charge for the puppies?????? :confused:

·
Administrator & Alpha Bitch of the Wild Bunch
13,571 Posts
Are either of the parents certified for hips and elbows? I'm guessing your female is not as she is not yet old enough for OFAs. IMO, at a year and a half of age she is also not mature enough mentally or physically to be bred. I would wait at least a year, and get OFAs in the meantime.

Any sort of performance titles or certificate on your female?

Honestly, without at least having health clearances on BOTH parents, the pups wouldn't be worth any more than the typical newspaper/Craigslist ad breeding of a couple hundred dollars.

·
Registered
31,126 Posts
$0

So the public financed the purchase of this dog that you are going to use to breed?

Do NOT breed a 1 1/2 yr old with no health clearances and no knowledge of breeding or how to analyze pedigrees to make sure you don't end up with genetic messes.

If you really are interested in breeding her then get her trained, trialed and prove she is breed worthy. Find a mentor that can teach you how to choose a proper mating so you have puppies worthy of the breed.

·
Banned
11,005 Posts
I'd agree. Maybe $300-400 each.

Be sure to deworm them starting at 2 weeks old, every 2 weeks. Vaccinate at 6-8 weeks. If you don't do those things then you don't have a right, really, to even ask that much.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Yes the have both had health clearances. Jeger had to have them done because he was shipped here from Hungary and its a requirment when being purchased for police work. As for the female dog, My fiance and his father both work at the Ottumwa Vetrinary Clinic. Also I am currently taking the pre vetrinary courses because I am going to school to be a vet! Since my fiance and his father they work at the vet my fiance and I get free health exams all the time. She also gets groomed there frequently for free as well. My female has had her hips xrayed and every health check up you can imagine. She is all up to date on all of her shots and has excellent hips the vet said. I also have the xrays for both dogs and all the vet records for both as well

·
Registered
31,126 Posts
How could she have health clearances when they won't do official hip xrays for OFA's before 2 years old?

·
Banned
11,005 Posts
She can't be OFA'ed until she's 2yrs. old is what I think they mean.

Do you have pedigrees for both dogs? Can you post them here?

·
Premium Member
11,174 Posts
Most police departments have a rule against breeding the K9's....

As others have said, to be a responsible breeder, you need to learn more about the breed, the pedigrees, the different types of GSDs....what works being bred together and what doesn't.....you also need to understand the risks to your female, and the costs in possible veterinary care prior and during the pregnancy, and the whelping process....these costs can run into thousands of dollars for the owner of the female. Are you financially prepared to do an emergency surgery on teh female if something goes wrong? Are you prepared to hand raise 6 or 10 puppies who need round the clock care if your female dies?

This site has tons of threads with good information that will help you understand the risks of breeding, the goals of breeding, and how to be a responsible breeder. You have a young female, so plenty of time to learn before you do any breeding......around here "Back yard breeder" is a very derogatory term....the opposite of a responsible breeder, so I think you need to understand what is involved with breeding before making any decisions to have a litter.

There are alot of nice people here who will try to help you understand why it is not good to be a BYB - and how to help you become a responsible breeder - jumping into it by breeding a young female wtihout credentials for a few hundred dollars is not going to be perceived as a good thing.

Lee

·
Registered
6,912 Posts
$100 maybe. I guess whatever is enough to cover vet bills and food for the puppies while they're in your care. I wouldn't pay a penny more than that.

So the public financed the purchase of this dog that you are going to use to breed?
Yeah... that strikes a bit of a nerve.

·
Registered
31,126 Posts
Two very knowledgeable and highly respected breeders, Wildhaus and Wolfstraum, have spoken. Not sure anything else needs to be said.

·
Premium Member
11,174 Posts
Are your fiance and his father veterinarians???

Lee

·
Registered
1,531 Posts
Shame on you for breeding a dog bought and paid for by everyone's taxes, you figured "sweet, I have a $10,000 (mmhmm) un-neutered gsd...time to breed and cash in." You are not going to find many here in support of what you are doing. Most would call you a byb. I know this is harsh...and I wouldn't care as much if you weren't breeding a k9 police dog. You should be showing/titling your dog to prove it's breed worthiness. You are breeding because, what? You are trying to become a vet? Pre-vet courses means you haven't even applied to vet school yet...so you are in your under-grad, breeding GSD's willy nilly?! The fact that you didn't even know that she can't be OFA'd until after 2 years old...are you kidding me!? Alright, need to get off this thread before I say something I'll regret. Just....shame on you.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I am replying due to my recent post so nobody else gets confussed. Both dogs are in good health. They are both up to date on all of their vaccinations, tests, and exams. Also they have both had xrays and exams peformed on their hips, elbows ect. We have the xrays and all the shot vaccinations. If you must know both of them are microchiped as well. They also have had dental check ups, heart worm check ups. Everything you can imagine. As I said before my fiance and his father both work at a vet so my female gets all the exams and check ups for free. I am taking pre vet courses to get into vet school so I know all about proper treatment, vacinations and so on. I also have lived on a farm my entire life I can assure you they are both in tippy top health and have xrays and records to prove it all. Now that I have cleared that, I am just wondering how much to price the puppies for when my female is ready to breed??? Considering they are both reigestered and have had all their vaccinations, xrays, health check ups ect...Can someone please answer my question I first had since you know all the facts now?? :( We are just wondering how much to charge for them since we see a various price ranges all the time

·
Registered
31,126 Posts
I am replying due to my recent post so nobody else gets confussed. Both dogs are in good health. They are both up to date on all of their vaccinations, tests, and exams. Also they have both had xrays and exams peformed on their hips, elbows ect. We have the xrays and all the shot vaccinations. If you must know both of them are microchiped as well. They also have had dental check ups, heart worm check ups. Everything you can imagine. As I said before my fiance and his father both work at a vet so my female gets all the exams and check ups for free. I am taking pre vet courses to get into vet school so I know all about proper treatment, vacinations and so on. I also have lived on a farm my entire life I can assure you they are both in tippy top health and have xrays and records to prove it all. Now that I have cleared that, I am just wondering how much to price the puppies for when my female is ready to breed??? Considering they are both reigestered and have had all their vaccinations, xrays, health check ups ect...Can someone please answer my question I first had since you know all the facts now?? :( We are just wondering how much to charge for them since we see a various price ranges all the time
None of this matters...at all. Your dog is to young and you don't ahve the proper training or health clearances. None of this says your dog is breed worthy. That fact that you don't know this says you shouldn't be breeding. A vet, or people that "work at a vet" would know about OFA's and would certainly discourage random breeding of dogs.

And your original question was answered...several times. These will be nothing more than BYB puppies that won't be sought after for any reason. They are virtually worthless in a monetary sense.

And while your cousin may have possession of the male dog, I highly doubt a police department signed over a 12,000 dog's ownership when the public financed that purchase thru tax money and various other fundraising methods. I have to wonder if the department knows and condones this.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Also I didn't want to tell my whole life story, but to clear some more things up. If you read my post before the police department gave rights to my cousin. I didn't think I would have to go in depth about this either but here it goes. My cousin then purchased jeger for 2,500 dollars from the police department. We also have a typed and signed letter for that. Him and jeger still work for the police department but jeger is owned by my cousin. He purchased him for 2,500 dollars so all rights are signed to my cousin.

·
Registered
48 Posts

Well I've been looking for GSD breeders to get a puppy for about 2 months now, and I can't find a single puppy below $3000. So hopefully you charge less than them.

Maybe less people would resort to buying byb/craigslist puppies if those breeders charged a bit less than the down payment of my car.

·
Premium Member
11,174 Posts
x-rays mean NOTHING unless OFA or the SV certifies them....they are always just someone's opinion....

There is more to choosing a breeding pair than grooming or dental care or heartworm checks!!! Those are the parameters defining good pet ownership...not credentials to become a breeder!

Breeding a pet female withOUT OFA CERTIFICATION and some type of proven value to the integrity of the breed is not responsible breeding....It sounds like you are a very very good pet owner....but there is a wide chasm between pet ownership and responsible breeding....that is what everyone is trying to point out - some more politely than others! BYB pups are a dime a dozen....and cheap...and disposable in many homes because they are cheap...because knowlegeable buyers do not BUY BYB puppies....if you want to be a responsible breeder - then put some energy and time into learning about the breed....being defensive is not necessary....people are trying to help because we are all so very very very sad at the constant barrage of emails, posts, threads, facebook photos of BYB dogs on death row everywhere in this country!

Lee

·
Registered
1,531 Posts
I am taking pre vet courses to get into vet school so I know all about proper treatment, vacinations and so on. I also have lived on a farm my entire life I can assure you they are both in tippy top health and have xrays and records to prove it all.
......I have taken all the pre-reqs to get into vet school...as well as med school...pt school...nursing school...they are all the same. I must have missed the course on proper treatment of breeding dogs and getting them vaccinations.:wild:

You've been told how much you should charge, you haven't proven anything about the dogs, other than that at this immature age they are healthy and that one was bought and paid for by the govt and you are trying to cash in on some money. I wouldn't pay more than it cost to adopt these dogs, but I'm sure you'll find some uneducated buyers that have no qualms with your breeding standards.

·
Registered
1,297 Posts
You have got to be kidding me right? You only say they have had xrays that does not mean that they have been OFA cert. Your female is still too young to be bred. So what if your fiance and his father work at a vet clinic what do they do? Mop the floor? And what does them being microchiped have to do with them breeding or affecting the puppies? You need to wait till she is over 2 years old have her OFA cert have the male OFA as well... Make sure you trial her or show her get some titles behind her to prove that she is a perfect example of the breed and do more research on the breed and see what it takes to be a reputable breeder!
If you are not going to do any of that, then to answer your question somewhere between $100 and $300

·
Banned
5,124 Posts
You just described 99% of GSDs that I know. Well taken care of dogs. Dogs that live in homes where people can afford shots, people care enough to x-ray them, people care enough to give them Hartguard, people that just generally care about the health of their PET.

Health isn't their health today, or tomorrow, or the next week. It's their GENETIC health, which you have no idea about because you don't know what anything in their pedigree means. You don't know the kinds of hips their parents had, their grandparent's had, ect.

You haven't trained your dog to do any kind of work that proves they are above and beyond a standard pet. Everything you describe is coming from you, a biased evaluator that doesn't really know how to compare your dog to the others out there.

Charge just enough to cover your costs of raising this litter until it is 8 weeks old. So since all vet care for you is free...give the dogs away for free. Maybe $10 just to cover the extra cost of food per pup.

1 - 20 of 98 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.