German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
167 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My pup is 9wks old tomorrow... and I am feeding him Royal Canin Maxi Pup.

I feed him 1 cup dry food 3 times a day... 5 hours apart.

Is that too little? or too much?

The breeder recommended letting his food soak in water before he eats because half the time I noticed he doesn't even chew! He gobbles it up so quick!!! Is the water thing really recommended?? Or should I try and see what he does with completely dry food. Thanks!

·
Registered
5,126 Posts
I would take the breeder's advice on soaking the food in water. For how much to feed, I would start with the package directions and see how the pup does on that.

·
Registered
167 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I would take the breeder's advice on soaking the food in water. For how much to feed, I would start with the package directions and see how the pup does on that.
I've been doing both... but I just get curious as to why other GSD's my pups age don't need water and mine does.

None the less I've been feeding him as per instructions on food pkg.

·
Registered
2,892 Posts
I never did the water thing with Fiona. She is almost 11 months. Her best friend gets warm water every day for his food and he is 18 months. I would try one day with water and one day without and see if there is a difference.

Sent from Petguide.com Free App

·
Registered
8,690 Posts
I just started adding warm water a few months ago, both dogs love it! I started it because Delgado eats too fast, it's helped slow him down

·
Registered
167 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I just started adding warm water a few months ago, both dogs love it! I started it because Delgado eats too fast, it's helped slow him down
Is there any reason/benefit to adding the warm water? To this say I don't know why I do it, I just do it cause the breeder said to lol

·
Registered
25 Posts
I'm pretty sure that it actually increases the chance of bloat if you let it expand. Just a little bit of water added to my pups food and then I shake it up so it's more appealing. I throw a kong in his dog dish now so he slows down a bit.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts