German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
441 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Protien, that is? I have a puppy that is about 5 mo old and I was curious if I am doing any harm to him by feeding him adult dog food. I have switched his food on him a few times. Most recently to TOTW. However, I noticed it is fairly high on the crude protien. Is he too young, at 5 mo to have that much?

·
Registered
10,132 Posts
You don't need to worry so much about the protein as about the calcium and phosphorous. I believe the recommended maximums are 1.2% and 1% or somewhere thereabouts.

·
Registered
441 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
According to Orijen it is calcium 2.5 and phospherous 1.6. TOTW is within that requirement. Does anyone also give their puppy/dog glucosamine with TOTW? I didnt find a percentage of that in the formula.

·
Registered
27,271 Posts

·
Registered
109 Posts
I too am moving my pup off of Procter and Gambles Evo product. She is 4.5 months old. I was told to move her to an adult food. I am wondering if 38% protien in Earthobond is too much for GSD? Some folks state too much protien causes bones to grow too quick, is this true? How much fiber etc..?

·
Registered
109 Posts
Everything I have read so far on feeding large breed pups, states Calcium at 1-2.5%, Protien 22-27%, Fat not exceeding 12%. With this said the EVO I have been feeding my pup is way too high for a large breed puppy. Thinking of going with Pure Vita, Pinnacle or Earthborn.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts