German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I don't know if this has been posted before - I got a link to an extremely useful website with a table showing just how much (or how little) chocolate or cocoa it takes to make dogs of different weights seriously ill. Most people know now that chocolate is dangerous for dogs - this site helps you understand the different levels of risk of different types of chocolate, related to the weight of the dog, and thus whether you need to seek immediate veterinary help if your pooch gets hold of some. :cry:

Here is the address: The Chocolate Chart Interactive - National Geographic Magazine
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
5,991 Posts
GSD's would have to eat an extremely significant amount of the cheap chocolate to even begin to effect them. This past Christmas I did something I never do - I bought a 2 1/2 lb bag of the cheap mixed chocolates (the mini hershey bars, the kisses, etc) and put it in a cute bowl on the counter. My smallest girl, Audrey weighing in at 55 lbs, did something SHE never does - she got on the counter and ate every last bit of it, tinfoil and all.

I called the ER vet located about 5 minutes away who said she did not eat even close to enough to make her sick, but to watch her closely anyway. I was more worried about the tinfoil than anything, but they were unconcerned. She had some very sparkley poop for several days....

Luckily I'm not much of a chocolate fan, and never buy the good stuff anyway. :)
 
1 - 4 of 4 Posts
Top