German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 20 of 52 Posts

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
We all know those dog shows on tv like "Dog whisperer," "its me or the dog," "dog 101" etc

I feel like sometimes i can pick up a few tips from Cesar Millan..(and it seems like he loves GSD!!)lol... but other times i feel like why am i watching this, and other shows..

I just wanted to know how many of you guys watch them often.. or even at all, and if you take anything from the shows... or watch just to watch..

im sure many people that have been dog owners all their lives and have great experience might feel a different way.... but like i said im curious to know what you guys think of TV dog shows and if the have any influence...

·
Moderator who has gone to the dogs
14,619 Posts
I actually no longer go out of my way to watch most of them. If nothing else is on I will stop by and watch. Some are OK some I just think "what the heck are you talking about". If I pick something up it is great but some of them makes me wonder why I am wasting my time watching it.

·
Registered
3,143 Posts
I have occasional watched them right now they seem to be repeats?
I have learned some tips. If it is a new show I might watch it still.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
well thats cool that you still pick up some tips...sometimes its cool if the show relates to you.... like i said im glad im hearing from both sides....

·
Registered
14,028 Posts
From watching Cesar I learn mostly what NOT to do.

From watching Victoria Stillwell I learn what idiots some people are (the dog owners).

So far I've learned nothing NEW from any of the dog tv shows.

I HAVE learned many new things from training seminars (Claudia Romard was awesome), training videos (Ivan Balabanov's are awesome) and from watching others in training classes.

·
Registered
1,297 Posts
We watch Cesar and I've learned quite a few things, watched him before we got the GSD puppy. I like watching it cause I can SHOW my kids how to do something. They can see it and have me tell them. It helps that way.

·
Registered
27,206 Posts
The show I watch is Dogtown. It is really good, and they actually work on issues of the rescues so they can be re-homed.

Very different than the over-indulged on Cesar's show or the overweight dogs on Victoria's.

Not into conformation shows, but I do watch now them and then...

·
Registered
365 Posts
i watch all of those 3 shows and frm Millan i learn and from Stilwell i learn they are good shows butevery situation calls for differant tactics so u can take a little from each show ,if kids watch Millan they learn how to interact with dogs the right way ,i do not watch the dog shows like the show dog shows ,if i do i just wanna see all the differant dogs couse it seems like the judges always pick the lap dogs as winners

·
Registered
9,025 Posts
Point Blank -- I would never recommend Cesar to anyone especially to kids. I feel Victoria S. shows some practical advice for uneducated dog owners.

How much influence on me ... off-hand nothing from Cesar and just a little reinforcement of ideas from Victoria.

·
Registered
3,004 Posts
Like Jane, the only show I watch regularly is Dogtown (although I think I have seen every episode of Dog 101 haha)

The last time I watch Cesar he was doing a show on "how to raise the perfect puppy". In the episode he was presented with two lab puppies. One was yellow and one was black. The yellow was asleep, comatose, didn't even wake up when Cesar went to pet him; the black one was active, eager to interact with people, looking around. Cesar took a look at the black one and said "this one is nervous, dominant, not calm submissive, most likely will have issues down the road" and picked the the yellow one and promptly named it "Marley" ...

That's when I got off that train.

·
Moderator who has gone to the dogs
14,619 Posts
Originally Posted By: ILGHAUSPoint Blank -- I would never recommend Cesar to anyone especially to kids. I feel Victoria S. shows some practical advice for uneducated dog owners.

How much influence on me ... off-hand nothing from Cesar and just a little reinforcement of ideas from Victoria.
I do agree with what Cesar says about calm leadership but not how he goes about it. I would also agree with TJ- I would never recommend Cesar for a child or for puppy owners. There are far better ways to bring up a well adjusted puppy.

·
Registered
850 Posts
Originally Posted By: Lauri & The GangFrom watching Cesar I learn mostly what NOT to do.

From watching Victoria Stillwell I learn what idiots some people are (the dog owners).

So far I've learned nothing NEW from any of the dog tv shows.

I HAVE learned many new things from training seminars (Claudia Romard was awesome), training videos (Ivan Balabanov's are awesome) and from watching others in training classes.

·
Registered
12,442 Posts
I've seen an episode or two of all the shows mentioned in the thread, but I definitely don't go out of my way to watch them. The only time I really tune in to one of them is if there is nothing else on, or else if a show is new and I want to see what it's all about.

As far as Caesar and Victoria are concerned, I think both of them do make some good points when it comes to dog owner basics - dogs need to be treated like dogs, they need exercise, and they need clear, calm leadership. Beyond that ... not so much.

I know there are loads of people out there who watch Caesar, though - I see them at the pet stores, "shhsss!"ing their dogs or tapping them with their hands and such. Usually doesn't seem to do anything for them or the dog, though.

Dogs 101 ... well, that show just sucks.

·
Registered
15,884 Posts
Have caught Victoria a time or two - don't remember much about it.
All I have to do is hear about Cesar & I know he's not for me. Actually, just reading his endorsed sayings or quotations from him on dog stuff at the stores leaves me cold. I don't want that relationship with my dog.

Overall, looks like I am not missing much by not having my converter boxes connected and refusing to pay for cable...

·
Registered
607 Posts
Originally Posted By: Historian
I know there are loads of people out there who watch Caesar, though - I see them at the pet stores, "shhsss!"ing their dogs or tapping them with their hands and such. Usually doesn't seem to do anything for them or the dog, though.
I do the "shhhht" thing, too, but that's because my dad did it to me when I was growing up! It's kind of a cultural thing. He's filipino and I've noticed other filipinos of his generation do the same thing.

The only dog show that I've actually been able to sit through an entire episode is Cesar's, and that's only if there isn't anything else on. I suppose I've gotten a few tips from it. If nothing else, I've at least gotten another perspective.

·
Registered
607 Posts
I do have a subscription to and enjoy Cesar's magazine, though. It's much broader in scope than the tv show highlighting things like his wife's charitable work and the plight of shelter dogs.

1 - 20 of 52 Posts